Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Prussia

Default Re: A Guide to Prussia

Mine is really complex atm. To be honest I don't know what to do !! Its 1705 ( I just started) I have Saxony, Courland and West Prussia. I made a peace treaty with Poland while Westphalia and Austria decleared war on me. My main problem is that GB decleared war on me as well even though I had a Very friendly relationship and long term trade agreement with them. They are planning an invasion in Brandenburg since they are moving with a fleet and a stack of army abroad !!! I don't have problem with defending atm but i will surely have issues with economy since they will soon block my only trade port !! What a bad start !!!

Ok, so now after putting down all rebeliions in the Polish lands (took out Poland), I have waited for a German state to attack...no one has. So I declared war on a German state (forgot which one, but was allied with wurtermburg and austria)...I destroyed austria in the war and took another german state...was bankrupt for a few years....calmed down my newly conquered people/land. After that I took courland. I needed peace with Wurtemburg as they were powerful and I was too spread out and financially out to attack their fortified territories. So I offered peace and trade and a Polish territory that bordered Russia. They accepted. Bavaria pushed for peace early as well. So now my economy is recovering after disbanding some units and re-establishing trade with my neighbors.

Very important is the trade!!!

Keep strong allies!!! My Dutch and British allies have always been faithful and entered in on my side and are also good trade partners.

Now I will be building up my economy again and see what happens. I want to unite Germany soon, but we'll see.

good luck!

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenTurtle View Post
    I have waited for a German state to attack...no one has.
    wow thats new lol, when i play prussia everybody hates me for some reason. People who dont share borders with me started declaring war... and all at the same time...
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenTurtle View Post
    I have waited for a German state to attack...no one has.
    Same here. From my two starting provinces, I pumped out a 3/4 stack, landed not far from Stockholm and took that. Shortly after, Austria declared war and Poland/Lithuania and Russia sought out alliances with me. I accepted and held off Austria whilst keeping Stockholm. By that stage, I had Stockholm (which still took a long while to calm down) and Breslau, Silesia. Austria was in control of Dresden, Saxony and so I took that along with Prague, Bohemia and Movaria. Bavaria, allied to Austria attacked me also and so I took Munich, Bovaria. Somewhere during this period, I had noticed that Sweden held Norway with a few units and so I sent a raiding party over to capture this. All the while, Russia and P/L distracted the Austrians sufficiently with large battles where little property changed hands. With no other nations in Eurpope at war with me, I took Vienna with two stacks and budged the second one into Hungary to take that.

I sent out trickles of trading fleets in this time to the trade zones and prepared the stack that conquered Stockholm (and Norway) for an invasion of the Indian continent. The first region taken was Bengal (in something of a mirror to the East India Company) and I worked westward until I was on the doorstep of Mysore. At that point, Mysore and the Mughal nations declared war on me and although Mysore came out to show me a stack, I quickly took their one and only region by defeating them in the field and side-stepping around to reach their capital.

I'm away from my gaming computer, but I think it's around the year 1725 or so. All has been quiet in the Germanic parts of Europe, although Spain and France seem to be making a reasonable go at becoming quite an alliance. No-one seemed to have any qualms about also attacking Sweden as they were weakened and the same went for Austria.
    Last edited by Neddy; January 16, 2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: 1725, not 18...

I took both Saxony and West Prussia in the first 1-2 turns. Tried to gain peace with Poland... Which they refused.

They refuse constantly. The only thing they will have peace for us East Prussia. So I took Warsaw to trade that for peace... Nope. They still only want peace for East Prussia.

Austria then declared war on me... Then Westphallia... Then Great Britain who landed a 3/4 stack and took Berlin (took it back the very next turn). Warsaw has spawned a rebel army three times, even though I've got a half stack of troops there, a priest converting them and exempting them from taxes.

I've managed to stall Austria buy taking Bohemia and Moravia and Galicia and giving them to the Spanish... Catholic buffer ftw!

I'm holding Poland and Courland off at the moment. Once Warsaw stops rebelling my experienced army their will be able to finish them off.

Primicerius

Default Drang nach Osten

Drang nach Osten, VH campaign difficulty

I have heard many Prussian players complain about being swamped by enemies. Here is a solution that makes playing Prussia extremely easy on the strategic level since in ETW 1.5, alliances tend to hold well even on VH campaign difficulty (as long as the player is careful about not accumulating diplomatic penalty points for breaking treaties).

Turn 0

1. Offer alliance + military access to Hanover, ask(!) for 3,000 ducats in exchange. Hanover accepts.
    2. Offer alliance + military access + 4,500 ducats to Westphalia. Westphalia accepts.
    3. Offer alliance + military access + bayonets + trading rights to Austria. Austria accepts.
    4. Declare war on Saxony. Here comes the important bit. DO NOT ASK YOUR ALLIES TO JOIN!... Use the starting army from Berlin to take Saxony. [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself] Poland DOW to support their ally.
    5. Use one militia unit from Konigsberg to attack Gdansk. Let the rest of the forces from East Prussia to join as reinforcements. Take Gdansk. [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself] Move the milita unit back to Konigsberg.
    6. Leave one cannon in Konigsberg. Use the rest (except the militia unit from Gdansk) of the East Prussian army to attack and take Warsaw. Once done, move the army towards the Polish forces that have retreated towards a factory in Western Poland. Use the extra of the general to attack the Polish, dragging the rest of the army as reinforcements. Destroy! [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself].
    7. Offer alliance + military access + bayonets + trading rights + 2,500 dukats to Bavaria. It is important to do this after completing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6. Bavaria would not accept the alliance proposal before those steps.
    8. Train 2 line and 1 cavalry units in Konigsberg.
    9. If cash allows, build a merchant ship in Brandenburg harbor as a cheap (50 Dukat upkeep) insurance against raiding.
    10. Use whatever cash is left to fix public order buildings in Saxony. Do not stop taxing any of the taken provinces. Do not worry about unrest.

So, in turn 0, Prussia has expanded greatly and has secured its Western border by alliances. Of course, quite a bit of cash was spent on those alliances. However, leading a several front-war against the minors in the West + Austria would be much costlier in the long run. Now, the road to the East is wide open. Drang nach Osten!...

Turn 1

1. Fix public order buildings in Warshaw and Gdansk
    2. Retrain the armies damaged in turn 0
    3. Move the fresh troops from Konigsberg (+ a new general) towards Vilnius
    4. Check the unrest in Saxony. If it's under control, leave a militia unit there and move the rest of the army towards Gdansk to deal with potential rebels there. If unrest is still rampant, wait another turn before moving the army.
    5. Camp in Warsaw and brace for many turns of rebellion and Polish incursions from Galicia. Don't worry about the unrest. The rebels and the Polish will be an easy pray for the Prussian army.
    6. Train another militia unit in Konigsberg. If you like, you can train more line for future use.

Turn 2

1. Take Vilnius [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself]
    2. Take Minsk [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself]
    3. Move the army back a bit towards Courland, which, by this time, has, most probably, declared war on Prussia
    4. If Gdansk has rebeled and you have the army from Silesia there, defeat the rebels. If no army is there yet, let the rebels take Gdansk and retake it a turn later.
    5. Fight rebels and Polish in Poland at your leisure.

Turns 3-4

1. Defeat Courland's forces in the field. Move your garrison from Konigsberg into Courland's territory (for negotiating "impact") and offer a ceasefire + protectorate deal to Courland. Courland accepts.
    2. The army from Courland is free to move back east into Bielorussia to harass Russians.
    3. The army from Saxony deals with rebels in Gdansk; moves into Poland and, from there into Galicia, wiping out Poland.

From there, your choice what to do next. I'd go for Moldavia and turning this province over to Austria (to secure the Southern border) and then proceed for a grand-land-grab in Russia. At some point, Sweden will declare war either on Prussia or on Hanover. That should serve as a good reason to wipe Swedes out.
    Last edited by Slaists; February 02, 2010 at 02:48 PM.

ekinda's Avatar Foederatus
    Byzantium (Rome), Constantinapole (Medieval) and İstanbul (Empire)

Default Re: Drang nach Osten

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post

I have heard many Prussian players complain about being swamped by enemies. Here is a solution that makes playing Prussia extremely easy on the strategic level since in ETW 1.5, alliances tend to hold well even on VH campaign difficulty (as long as the player is careful about not accumulating diplomatic penalty points for breaking treaties).

Turn 0

1. Offer alliance + military access to Hanover, ask(!) for 3,000 ducats in exchange. Hanover accepts.
    2. Offer alliance + military access + 4,500 ducats to Westphalia. Westphalia accepts.
    3. Offer alliance + military access + bayonets + trading rights to Austria. Austria accepts.
    4. Declare war on Saxony. Here comes the important bit. DO NOT ASK YOUR ALLIES TO JOIN!... Use the starting army from Berlin to take Saxony. [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself] Poland DOW to support their ally.
    5. Use one militia unit from Konigsberg to attack Gdansk. Let the rest of the forces from East Prussia to join as reinforcements. Take Gdansk. [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself] Move the milita unit back to Konigsberg.
    6. Leave one cannon in Konigsberg. Use the rest (except the militia unit from Gdansk) of the East Prussian army to attack and take Warsaw. Once done, move the army towards the Polish forces that have retreated towards a factory in Western Poland. Use the extra of the general to attack the Polish, dragging the rest of the army as reinforcements. Destroy! [This works in auto-resolve or fighting yourself].
    7. Offer alliance + military access + bayonets + trading rights + 2,500 dukats to Bavaria. It is important to do this after completing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6. Bavaria would not accept the alliance proposal before those steps.
    9. If cash allows, build a merchant ship in Brandenburg harbor as a cheap (50 Dukat upkeep) insurance against raiding.
    10. Use whatever cash is left to fix public order buildings in Saxony. Do not stop taxing any of the taken provinces. Do not worry about unrest.

So, in turn 0, Prussia has expanded greatly and has secured its Western border by alliances. Of course, quite a bit of cash was spent on those alliances. However, leading a several front-war against the minors in the West + Austria would be much costlier in the long run. Now, the road to the East is wide open. Drang nach Osten!...

Turn 1

4. Check the unrest in Saxony. If it's under control, leave a militia unit there and move the rest of the army towards Gdansk to deal with potential rebels there. If unrest is still rampant, wait another turn before moving the army.
    5. Camp in Warsaw and brace for many turns of rebellion and Polish incursions from Galicia. Don't worry about the unrest. The rebels and the Polish will be an easy pray for the Prussian army.
    6. Train another militia unit in Konigsberg. If you like, you can train more line for future use.

Turn 2

3. Move the army back a bit towards Courland, which, by this time, has, most probably, declared war on Prussia
    4. If Gdansk has rebeled and you have the army from Silesia there, defeat the rebels. If no army is there yet, let the rebels take Gdansk and retake it a turn later.

Turns 3-4

1. Defeat Courland's forces in the field. Move your garrison from Konigsberg into Courland's territory (for negotiating "impact") and offer a ceasefire + protectorate deal to Courland. Courland accepts.
    2. The army from Courland is free to move back east into Bielorussia to harass Russians.
    3. The army from Saxony deals with rebels in Gdansk; moves into Poland and, from there into Galicia, wiping out Poland.

From there, your choice what to do next. I'd go for Moldavia and turning this province over to Austria (to secure the Southern border) and then proceed for a grand-land-grab in Russia. At some point, Sweden will declare war either on Prussia or on Hanover. That should serve as a good reason to wipe Swedes out.
    A good strategy, it seems. Have you tested it several times? And what's the battle difficulty?
    And can we take much money from Hannover if we offer bayonets?

Icon10 Re: A Guide to Prussia

Wats up big guy.Your guide to Prusia works fore me at least just fine but i did find out that u have to wtch Denmark and Sweden u will have to keep a strong garrison in the west.MY main question is do u have a guide om same bases as Prusia fore the Maratha faction even on all esy its a real pain (o well u know were ) u ports will quickly b taken over first few turns so hmmm any help there b appreciated.Also do u have a guide fore Russia its a big map and the economy between diff areas of Russia will b diffacult that much i do know so ???. 1 other question and i leave u b wat setting is it that starts u off with some of u research(military) like hard very hard or the like.Any help i wil lty tytytytytyt to death lol.:thumbsup2

ekinda's Avatar Foederatus
    Byzantium (Rome), Constantinapole (Medieval) and İstanbul (Empire)

The difficulty does not affect the techs. Some factions has some techs in the start, for example, the Ottomans has Improved granades, french has Physocrazy (i think i spelled wrong ) and Prussia has Plug Bayonets.

Prussia is supposed to be easy
    What the hell happened to this WORLD?

Started as Prussia as everyone was saying is fun faction. I basically built up the treasury , trade agreements and traded tech at a quick pace - didnt go to war with anyone until Poland and Austria went at it. Declared war on Austria and got an alliance with Poland right afterwards. Poland and I split up the Austrain empire and eliminated them and her bothersome allies. At this point have alot of central Europe and not at war with anyone. Had to pay attention to who had alliances. Still teching up as fast as possible. Quite easy if play diplomatic cards correctly.

BTW - I have an enjoyable time giving away techs and/or money to Savoy / Mugals / Portugal
    as they are still surviving and harrassing my future enemies.
    Last edited by trench; February 08, 2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added info
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Given how quickly Austria declares war on Prussia this may not be a wise move, but what about immediately working towards a revolution to change the gov't to republic (and then if at peace, change to CM) Wouldn't that put Prussia on a better footing to face all the constant wars that seem to be inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
    Given how quickly Austria declares war on Prussia this may not be a wise move, but what about immediately working towards a revolution to change the gov't to republic (and then if at peace, change to CM) Wouldn't that put Prussia on a better footing to face all the constant wars that seem to be inevitable?
    Not necessary. I fought loads of wars, capturing all the required territories as well as all of Austria and Poland's territories (the Austrians fled to Tunis, so I took that too). I also took all the pirate islands, French guyana and all the french colonies in N. America as well as all Native American territories except Iroqois by 1750, and didn't need to change govt from monarchy. There were only a few rebellions, which I ruthlessly crushed, almost killing all the rebels every time. If you completely destroy a rebel army, the repression in the region gets a bonus for 2-3 turn due to 'military crackdown'. I use these 'crackdown' bonus turns to build churches and entertainment buildings, ensuring that when the crackdown bonus ends, the people are happy once again.

Bought ETW last week and playing Prussia 1.6.

Having a blast so far but does anyone know why it is impossible to build anything other than Govt. Buildings & fortifications in Gdansk/W Prussia? A new bug?
    "I should like to see...the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest"

Quote Originally Posted by Primative1 View Post
    does anyone know why it is impossible to build anything other than Govt. Buildings & fortifications in Gdansk/W Prussia? A new bug?
    You can only build in the major territories. The minor ones don't have that option.

I started playing TW with Prussia on VH/VH and the key to my success was staying out of trouble with Sweden.

At the start I invested money in buildings and trading ships. I made all the trade treaty's I could and became ally with Poland. I also moved the Eastern Prussia army to Brandenburg over sea. I didn't want to declare war which would upset the big countries. But Austria had other plans of course and declared war on me the 2nd turn.

With Poland as ally it wasn't a big problem fencing off Austria and they lost land to me quickly. I immediately made peace so I could restack my armies and solve the rioting problems. In the mean time I got good bonuses from Ivory trade with a couple of merchants. In the North Sweden was battling it out with Denmark and surprisingly Denmark had the overhand; blocking Sweden ports. This is important because if Sweden has free play it can severely damage your sea income because their navy is way stronger than yours. Never declare war on Sweden unless you have a bigger navy or a force to attack them directly.

While I was investing in my economy and rebuilding my army in my peaceful Prussia the Poles were about to expand to the south. In the West the United Provinces, Austria and Spain were having a nice brawl over France!. I made a pact with Spain and started attacking Austria. I conquered all and their allies Saxony but Austria still survived, but now better known as France. Spain got in Paris and finished off the Austrians. What fell short after into the hand of the United Provinces. The French must be very confused by now.

Again there was peace and I started to invest in my economy and army. The only problem was that the United Provinces were too powerful with Flanders, France, Lorraine and having Great Britain and Hannover as allies. Nevertheless I choose to attack them. One army over Hannover and straight to Amsterdam, the second army through Lorainne and to Flanders. The campaign was a success but my troops were too late to capture Paris. The last city was now Spanish and I wanted to keep them as ally.

Great Britain didn't like all of this and declared war on me. They made sure all my trading vessels were vanished from the sea so I lost a lot of income suddenly but I was now powerful enough on my own. Now I only needed Denmark and West Prussia for my victory conditions. So I went and captured Copenhagen while one army was stationed near the North Sea coast fending off a couple of British invasions. Directly made peace with Denmark who were now stuck on an island with Eyjafjallajökull ash clouds. Now Denmark was very useful to me since they were blockading the Swedish ports. As a nice thank you for clearing their ports they declared war on us However I bought peace with them and started building a massive army for my next plan.

West Prussia was the last remaining objective (and some other territories of course to reach 25). While I was bashing around in West Europe the Poles didn't sit still either. They become the biggest nation in Europe as they expanded south to Instanbul and reached Egypt and beyond, destroying the Ottomans on their way. I didn't mind because as trusted and closest ally they protected my eastern border. Now their stretched lands became an easy pray for my own operation Barbarossa.

I managed to make peace with GB again before the attack on Poland which allowed me to do some Ivory trading again. My armies quickly swept the Poland lands. The armies were followed by stacks of Light Dragoons who kept the newly conquered cities in check while my main army moved on. My plan was to take Instanbul and make peace, however Russia declared war on me so I had to swing back some armies to fight them of. The Swedish ports are blockaded by the Russian navy, still they decided to declare war on me. Not that is of any concern. Currently I am in the middle of the Polish fight, I still need Greece and Instanbul and then I'll start seeking peace again.

I've reached the 60s but I have met all my victory conditions so I can take it easy now and there isn't any nation powerful enough to attack me (well maybe Spain). My tactic really was to avoid long wars with multiple nations. Plan an attack and execute and make peace afterwards. Rebuild the army and economy and execute the next plan. Make peace and etc. Also I bought off wars with minor nations like Venice, although you can handle them easily it is still annoying to fight on 2 fronts.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Drang nach Osten

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post

Turn 0

Turn 1

Turn 2

Turns 3-4

Will this still works with ETW 1.6 ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Laetus

Have a decent game under way now, first time trying Prussia. Picked up Saxony and West Prussia on first turn. Beat back a Polish invasion as Austria DOW them. Poles accepted Peace. Then Austria DOWed me, building up forces in Silesia and invading Brandenburg, but leaving Prague wide open, so I took it. Then beat their forces in Brandenburg and Silesia back over the next few turns. (Austrian cavalry heavy stack in early going was no match for pikemen with supporting fire from Prussian line.) So about 7 turns into the game, I've consolidated my territorial position very nicely. Still at war with Austria, and I hear I can expect a DOW from Courland any time, but I'm not too worried about either one. But here's the real surprise: I had good things going with the British including a trade agreement and some tech trades. Then they DOW me about 2 turns ago. So far, it means nothing. They aren't in a position to threaten me, except for possible trade route raids. But this was unexpected.

Can anyone used to playing as Prussia tell me whether this is as unexpected as it seems to me? (FWIW, the UP got wiped out by France early in this game and I'm wondering whether that fried the British diplomatic strategy.) Did I screw up somewhere to end up at war with the British? And should I care? Oddly enough, I'm still on great terms with Hannover and the 13 Colonies. Any suggestion of action I should take given this lay of the land? I'm thinking I'll work on building my stacks along the Austrian front while also pumping up my infrastructure, then probably try to crush Austria early, and after that go after what's left of the Poles and the petty German princelings. But should I change gears because of Britain?

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by vonReibnitz View Post
    You can only build in the major territories. The minor ones don't have that option.
    Are you sure about this? What I found from previous games (exclusively as Britain; now playing Prussia for first time), was that you could build in any territory once it grew sufficiently in population. I don't know what the threshold numbers are and it may depend on game difficulty. Or am I missing something?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'm in 1790 with only one region to conquer. Once I took Wurtenberg from Austria and I got victory message a couple of turns later almost all major factions left declared war on me. Even though with friendly status like Maratha. WTF !!!!

Not sure I can hold on for another 20 turns with my armies spread so this all across Europe...

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Following the guide more or less at the beginning I would like to start the first ten years of my campain more or less like this.

Starting with two armies, one in Brandenburg and one in East Prussia..
    The first two terms I would like to build up my economy and let my army grow a little bit. Also I would try to alie with Hanover.
    I will split my Brandenburg army and add a general too it and lett them march to the border with East Prussia. This army will not be big, but enough to take West Prussia. Effectively I will now have a third army (in construction thanks to the general)
    Then my Blitzkrieg starts, by overtaking Dresden, Warsaw and Gdansk in one turn. Settling Saxony and West Prussia will not be big problem, maybe one rebellion. Poland though is another thing, my second army will have to stay there for a couple of therms. I will replace the catholic church for a protostant one and maybe I´ll even get ridd of the universety.
    My First army will wait in Dresden, prepared for posseble danger from Austria.
    If possible still in the same turn I will let the majorety of my third army, which concurred Gdanks, march on to Koningsberg to protect it from Polish/Courland atacks. (I presume Courland will have declared war on my by now.
    I read here somewhere that someone made Courland a protactorate, after crussing them a little bit.., I very much like that idea and I will try to do so with my third army.
    What I do want to do is take out Vuilnis to leaving a Poland without a possibe bite. If I am right they will not be able to recruite a desant force anymore having both their capitals.
    After concurring Vuilnis I will lett te mayoraty of my third army march back to Warsaw, which area I expect to have become a little bit less rebelious by now. I will fuse my second and third army together, leaving a couple of units behind in Warsaw, just to be sure.
    I wunder if Austria would let me get this far before they will atack me. If not me first army will have to fend them of from an atack to Berlin before my second army can get to the border.
    If Austria has not declared war to me, I will wait for them to do so as they have powerfull alies, maybe spending more then averige on my economy. The problem is that when having big armies it is to expensive to have peace for a long time. I doubt that I will have to wait for Austria a long time though and I expect that they will have declared war on my allready. I will blitz to Silicia and Prage with my first and second army. Uniting them in the battle for Vienna. When having Vienna might as well take Hungary after it.
    As I understood Vienna will be hard to sattle so I will burn down their church and build my own. The universaty will have to go also, the one in Hungary I will keep as I do not expect to much trouble from there.
    I do have acces to de Mediteranian see now and while marching towards there I will take Zagreb also. The rest of there louzy country the Austrians can have for the time beeing. After that I will have to concentrate on the rest of Germany, but that´s fase two.
    I it reasonable to expect that by 1710 I would have acomplished these goals?
    Last edited by skap187; October 08, 2010 at 06:07 AM.