Thread: what does this mean?

I have

P4 1.6ghz
    Radeon 9600XT 256MB
    768MB RAM

and i can get about 4000 soldiers on large with marginal lag - everything low except shadows and high terrain, grass and effects.
    HOWEVER - when i pause the screen, the lag disappears and the game runs smoothly.

would it be safe to say that it is my CPU of 1.6 that is holding me back? i.e. when the units are all moving i get lag, when the units are paused the lag disappears.

just want to pinpoint the source of my suffering.

yes (for your question), actually no matter what is your spec if you pause the game of course it will smoother in case you running the game above your system can handle

Originally posted by eastsidehighrise@May 6 2005, 07:52 AM
    I have

P4 1.6ghz
    Radeon 9600XT 256MB
    768MB RAM

and i can get about 4000 soldiers on large with marginal lag - everything low except shadows and high terrain, grass and effects.
    HOWEVER - when i pause the screen, the lag disappears and the game runs smoothly.

would it be safe to say that it is my CPU of 1.6 that is holding me back? i.e. when the units are all moving i get lag, when the units are paused the lag disappears.

just want to pinpoint the source of my suffering.
    Upgrade your MB and buy a AMD 2.8 - 3.5 and you are ready to control many *wink* legions

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

well yeh its safe to say getting a better processor will improve performance. RTW (as with all TW games) is not so much graphics ntesive as they are processor intensive. but as for the pausing issue....well, when you pause it, your men aint moving are they? so it aint gonna lag! it then just relies on graphics to show the men *tongue*

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Because when you are paused the whole deal of calculations of positions and decision making stops also. Your graphic card is more than enough to play RTW with no lag (at least in medium/high details). But your processor will show when you have 4000 men in a battle.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

so let me get this straight... all those calculations of positions and decision-making are primarily reliant on the CPU?

Clibby's Avatar Praetor Maximus

That is correct

Winner of the Tech Award 2005 at www.TotalRome.com

Under the patronage of apparently nobody since they cant keep their citizenship!!!