Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ancien Regime ETW re-texture ( France, Poland-Lithuania, etc...)

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Ancien Regime ETW re-texture

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    Hi Orion - am I right in understanding that your pack types are Mods or are they Patches? I use TROM so I need to know that all your French Ancien regime changes is the texture only and doesn't add any new units or change stats. many thanks!
    K
    You totally right The Kurgan. And Ancien regime only changes textures. Maybe I should have a look at Trom and make an trom version of ancien regime... i'll see when my current work is done...
    Check out:
    ''Ancien Régime'' a ETW Re-texture Project ( France, Poland-lithuania, etc...)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245857
    Regalia of Nations ( Flag, sounds, uniforms, effects mod):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Ancien Regime ETW re-texture ( France, Poland-Lithuania, etc...)

Hello everyone!
    just a short word: V01 of my polish skins is available for download on the front page! I believe this is some of the best work I've done so far. I've really tried to bring a unique look for Poland and I'm quite satisfied of what I've accomplished ( of course, it seems there always a few details I not totally satisfied with...) Those skins really made me want to play Poland ( something that had never occured before...) I hope they will do the same to you
    Check out:

Cheshire Cat's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by 33orion77 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    just a short word: V01 of my polish skins is available for download on the front page! I believe this is some of the best work I've done so far. I've really tried to bring a unique look for Poland and I'm quite satisfied of what I've accomplished ( of course, it seems there always a few details I not totally satisfied with...) Those skins really made me want to play Poland ( something that had never occured before...) I hope they will do the same to you
    Thx for the skins Orion just a bit of feedback for you i found the Uhlans to be a bity pasty or a bit to pastel , The rest of the skins are great my personal favorite are the guards out of all your skins , keep up the good work m8 .

+Rep of course

One thing that would help me would be some reference to the sources used for the uniforms. I'm quite nervous about downloading inaccurate uniform textures and some of the re-texturing files I've seen have just been based on 'looking cool' rather than the actual uniforms worn. A reference, would just re-assure me that the ones I'm downloading have been researched and are not pure fantasy. For example, I'm particularly keen to get rid of all the 'boy scout' berets from the militia.

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

@Cheshire cat
    thank you, for the comment!
    ( of course, it seems there always a few details I not totally satisfied with...)
    This is one thing I meant. For this one i made 100% my own normal map. maybe I have to refine my techniques...
    @Didz
    I try to be as accurate as possible. Sometimes, unfortunaly, it is impossible ( the arny rooster of CA are fictionnal so you'll always have a unit or two that have no uniform template. In those situation I have always tried to find something that was not totally from the blue... The link of the main source I used is also on the frontpage but I agree, It may be diffucult to cunsult.
    Here are the same pictures I used:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...58#post4711458
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...13#post5288213
    If you want to have a closer look at the creation process check the Regalia of Nations uniforms thread
    Also, You have to take into account that this is only a "light" mod I only change the texture for the moment...
    Check out:

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

Hello!
    Now all the pictures for Poland-Lithuania are updated! Now I can go back and finish the textures for Isilendil mod...
    Check out:

After new patch You will can use these units

These models are very good! Only retexture them

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Downloading the new Poles now!

Thanks so much Orion! Outstanding work, as always!

Amazing polish skins downloading now, Thank you very much 33orion77.

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

@ KLA
    Indeed, I'm eager to see the new units! They change the colors for Spain, It seem they really tried to make them more historical. I've put my Spanish Project on hold until the new patch comes out. I want to see the new changes for the seems to be major!

Here are also a few tough I would like to share with you...
    First, as I'm planning my France v05, the question for white grenadier is coming back to haunt me...
    I would say that it faded away as I made more reserch. It seems the Grenadier Royaux wore the Tricorne and also the Grenadier Royaux were in fact the grenadier of the militia regiments ( not very glorious...)
    The grenadier in the french line regiment wore also the tricorne. So, For a Re-texture, I belive I'm better to stick with the grenadier of France Regiment with a new texture....

Second, I would share with you that I had request to work on the British or the Americans ( I guess those are the most popular...) It may seems odd for there are lots of British and American Textures available. I understand tho, That it is a question of style. I mean, with the exeption of a few faction, the vanilla colors ( for the british for exemple) are ultra brigth! I believe the colors are more realistic and less aggressive when tuned down. This is the path I choose to follow, like a few others like Jarno and his team of the United Provinces and Remo. In the end it is just a question of personnal taste no style is better than the other... So to say that I have no plan for a complete US or UK but I still did the british artillery for the Legopack and I must say, I would really like to see the Royal Horse Guards in blue, but for now, I shall try to make a proper France ( There's a lots of tweaks I would like to do...) I was thinking , also of editing Remo's Prussia Re-texture adding a few detail here and there to make them more unique. Like the plate of the prussian Grenadier (WIP)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    and so on( this a dangerous game for once you start addig details...).So many little ideas but my favorite quote from Treebeard is : Let's not be hasty. ( I don't say yes, I don't say no, I shall see )
    Last edited by 33orion77; June 15, 2009 at 03:47 AM.
    Check out:

First, as I'm planning my France v05, the question for white grenadier is coming back to haunt me...
    I would say that it faded away as I made more reserch. It seems the Grenadier Royaux wore the Tricorne and also the Grenadier Royaux were in fact the grenadier of the militia regiments ( not very glorious...)
    The grenadier in the french line regiment wore also the tricorne. So, For a Re-texture, I belive I'm better to stick with the grenadier of France Regiment with a new texture....
    I think this may depend on the year upon which you are basing your research, and possibly the theatre or regiment. I have a print of a Grenadier from the Royal Lorraine Regiment 1756, clearly wearing a fur cap. The Royal Lorriane were formed initially as a militia regiment but inducted into the line, which might have affected their uniform. According to the notes on this print the regiment along with the rest of the French Army had originally been issued British style grenadier caps (presumably mitred caps) to its grenadiers, but many of the regiments including the Royal Lorriaine then switched to fur caps, although the style of these could vary from regiment to regiment. The bearskin grenadier cap was first authorised for wear by French Grenadiers in 1763. Incidently only the Grenadier Companies buttoned back the flaps of their jackets in the French Army, the centre companies let the flaps hang loose. Likewise the change from wearing a waist belt to wearing cross-belts was introduced in 1779, so regiments after that date ought to be wearing crossbelts, those before that date should not.

By 1780, the French Grenadiers had stopped wearing bearskins and adopted a tricorne with a red pom-pom and red epaulettes, as their distinquishing marks. I have a print of a grenadier from the 'Gatineau' Regiment 1780 showing this uniform, Chassuers wore a green pom-pom and epaulettes, fusiliers worm pom-poms in the company colour and white epaulettes. This colour coding was retained by Nappoleon, and so I assume the company colours remained consistent throughout. In addition, units serving in the American War of Independence were ordered to wear a black American Style rosette on the white cockade of their caps, in response to a similar gesture by the Americans.
    Second, I would share with you that I had request to work on the British or the Americans ( I guess those are the most popular...) It may seems odd for there are lots of British and American Textures available. I understand tho, That it is a question of style. I mean, with the exeption of a few faction, the vanilla colors ( for the british for exemple) are ultra brigth! I believe the colors are more realistic and less aggressive when tuned down.
    Personally, I would prefer to see a British Uniform Project based on the 1742 clothing book, which accurately reproduced the uniforms worn during the Seven Years War. However, I recognise that most customers want to see the British in their AWI uniforms which were heavily modified to cater for local shortages and the low priority this theatre had for British re-supply. Either way if you want help with the research let me know. The AWI British uniforms are mostly non-regulation but I still have a lot of prints.
    Last edited by Didz; June 16, 2009 at 12:03 AM.

Nice job with Poland-Lithuania, the only issue I had with them is with the militia. They had like four eyes and two noses.

I'm also using Spanky's Proper Militia mod, so it may be conflicting with it. Anyways, I've deleted the militia from your pack for now until I get it straightened out.

+rep

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

+1 rep on the polish Pack
    cheers

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

Hello everyone!
    Thank you all,

@ carbide
    indeed, my textures are not made for Spanky's proper militia but this gives me the idea to make to make a texture package. But this is just another wild idea... I will for sure make a proper militia texture for poland

@Didz
    Yes, After better research, I found out that the "bearskin became incresingly common toward 1759"
    http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.p...ine_Infanterie
    ... well, I don't know what I'm gonna do, I'll see when I'll get there...
    And about the british, Still, with the tons of skins already available I think there's a few things missing... I mentionned the Blues earlier ( Royal horse guards) but the blackwatch absolutly need their rightful colors! The origins of today's Blackwatch is the 42th Royal Highland
    http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=42nd_Foot
    http://www.kommandokilts.com/graphic...BlackWatch.jpg

So I guess It should be a bit like this: ( warning! this is WIP and it may offend some viewers( the red is wrong but you can have a view of the kilt!))
    hmm.... so many ideas....
    Now I'm still in some other dilemas:
    joedreck:
    I don't wanna make stress and be 101% historical.
    Your guards looks fantastic , but
    the french use the royal blue . So it's others then the prussian blue you use.
    and the buttonholes grouped 3 by 3
    Remo
    French Blue:
    Prussian Blue:
    That's it, still making color test for the french blue ( I cannot begin anything before this is settled down ( sorry, isilendil to keep you waiting for those officers) I'm also working on a prussian blue at the same time so I can use it as reference. By working on the Prussian blue made me realize how wrong it was in the vanilla edition. I could not find the blue I was looking for so I edited Remo's Prussian Infantry. You can see here the infantry ( my prussian blue ), the officer ( remo's prussian blue) and the musician ( vanilla prussain blue)
    By establlishing the prussian blue, I fell into to trap of making more Prussians. I told me that it would be easy that I could just adjust the Blue of Remo's Retexture.... How wrong was I... when I saw that picture:
    I was seeing the easy was and I made this one for Prussian light infantry ( look nice but not 100% accurate)
    It fits well the the officer and all but still not very accurate so I made this one the hungarian green jackets ( very historical but is having nice blue officer and musician)
    ...now it's get complicated but... I was trying to find a French blue, was I not? ...
    So I'm still working on this ******** color .
    Last edited by 33orion77; June 16, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Check out:

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Your short attention span pleases me, as it results in more absolutely AMAZING skins for users like me

Keep up the great work!

Love the Scots 33orion77!
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

@Didz
    Yes, After better research, I found out that the "bearskin became incresingly common toward 1759"
    http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.p...ine_Infanterie
    ... well, I don't know what I'm gonna do, I'll see when I'll get there...
    Thats really confusing the print I have showing the grenadier of 1756, not only has him wearing the fur cap I mentioned earlier but his jacket clearly has black lapels and cuffs with three buttons.

The source you have quoted says that the jacket had no lapels until 1761 when they were black, and then goes on to say that the cuffs were always yellow with only the buttons changing from pewter to yellow in 1761.

So, if we interpret that literally in 1761 the regiment should have had black lapels and yellow cuffs but to add to the confusion I notice that the uniform depicted on the left actually doesn't shown any of these combinations, but actually shows the coat with yellow lapels which according to both our sources the regiment never wore.
    And about the british, Still, with the tons of skins already available I think there's a few things missing... I mentionned the Blues earlier ( Royal horse guards) but the blackwatch absolutly need their rightful colors!
    I should be able to help with details of any British uniforms you need, just give me a shout but I would need to know what year you were interested in or at least whether it was early or late 18th century and if it was the American Campaign uniform you were interested in as the British tended to modify their dress with non-regulation adaptions during the AWI.

42nd Foot The Black Watch: Not sure what issues you have with the uniform of the this regiment. From what I can see the image you have posted looks pretty accurate within the limitations possible with ETW. Carman notes that the uniform of the 42nd went through a number of changes during its service in America. They were issued with new bonnets with bearskin tufts for the men and black feathers for the officers. The light company took to the habits of carrying tomahawks, as well as there powder horns and shot bags and the bonnets began to acquire the diced border shown in your picture (prior to that they were simple plain blue bonnets. In 1763 all highland regiments were disbanded except the 42nd making them the only kilted regiment in the British Army.

In 1768 the 42nd returned to Ireland where their uniform was adjsted to conform to the latest Royal Warrant. This altered the cut of their coats and the cuffs and lapels were changed to match the new fashion. The waistcoat was changed from red to white and the badger skin purses were replaced with white goatskin ones and buff leather. The officers in American had modified their dress to look as much like the men as possible (presumably to avoid being shot) and were now issued with more distinct uniforms inlcuing gold lace on the their coats. Sergeants had silver lace. Officers who had previously worn sholder knots, now adopted epaulettes. Officer sashes were not worn around the waist as in other regiments but over the left shoulder, this was to prevent the ends of the sash becoming entangled in the broadsword belt. All the men at this time carried the sword, in fact when first shipped to America they were issued with both a sword and a pistol., but the pistols proved a nuisance and were abandoned soon after the start of the campaign.

During the American war several new highland regiments were formed including:

71st Foot Frazer's (White Facings)
    73rd McKenzies (Buff Facings)
    74th Argyll's (Yellow Facings)
    76th McDonalds (Dark Green Facings)
    78th Earl of Seaforth (Orange or Dark Yellow)
    81st Aberdeen Highlanders (white Facings)
    Royal Highland Emigrants (Blue Facings)
    [Most of these regiments would have worn Government Tartan, possibly with a regimental overstripe. They were all disbanded during the peace of 1783. The men from the 73rd and 78th were used to form tow new regiments the 71st Highland Ligth Infantry and the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders.]

I mention these in case you see a print of a highland soldier from the American War wearng a slightly different style of uniform and get confused.

In 1786, The Black Watch was renumbered becoming the the 73rd Foot.

In 1787, two new Highland Regiments were raised for service in India. These were the 74th (White Facings) and 75th Foot (Yellow Facings) later to become the 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry and The Gordon Highlanders. When the French Revolution kicked off seven new Scottish Regiments were formed (78th, 79th, 94th, 97th, 98th, 100th, and 109th) I have details if your interested by we are on the fringes of the ETW period now.

During service conditions the dress of Highland Reigments suffered more than usual as a result of supply shortages. Most would begin to substitute standard infantry uniform to replace their tartan plaid and the men frequently took to wearing white ticken trousers with short black gaiters (as in fact did many german regiments faced with the same shortages).

This is a fairly modern uniform print but accurately portrays the uniform of The BLack Watch in 1745 prior to its dispatch to America.

The bonnets were made with a rim containing slits through which a ribbon was passed so that the cap could be adjusted to fit tightly to the head. Whilst in American the men were issued with replacement bonnets that had a red rim instead of the blue shown here, and quickly got into the habit of feeding a white ribbon through the slits, thus producing a red and white chequered effect which was later adopted as standard.

The Black Watch uniform prior to the American modifications, left Highlander, middle Highland Grenadier Company, right detail of grenadier cap.

Although you are only interested in The Black Watch, I thought I'd post these images of the other Highland Regiments raised for service in America. If nothing else they demonstare some of the adaptions made to regulation dress for that campaign and some of the changes to the regulations.

Figure 1 depicts an Officer of the 42nd The Black Watch 1739, note the Officer sash is plaid and he looks very much like his men.

Figure 2: depicts and Officer 42nd 1745, now wearing a crimson sash, both are wearing the black feathers in their bonnets which were adopted for American service. Note the officers wear their sashes over the left shoulder, and the latter also wears one of the new issue bonnets with the red rim.

Figure 3: Shows the earlier uniform from 1740 before the introduction of the white lace.

Figure 4: Shows the full regulation uniform prior to shipment of the regiment to America, note the pistol, no feathers, and the thinner sword belt.

Figure 5: Corporal of The Black Watch 1743, identified by the white sword knot on his right shoulder. The shield was still used in combat by The Black Watch until about 1745.

Note: The socks were wool dyed red with a lichen called 'crotal geal' ('Lecanora plaescens') which is supposed to prevent the feet getting too hot and blisters from forming during long marches.

Figure 6: Grenadier The Black Watch 1741

Figure 7: The adapted bonnet showing the red and white chequered rim plus the ever more elaborate adornment of black feathers which would eventually grow to dominate the entire headress.

Figure 8: Officer 73rd Mackenzies/later Macleod's Highlanders. Note: The waistcoat in the facing colour and even more feathers on the bonnet.

Figure 9: Officer Grenadier Company 73rd Mackenzies'/Later Macleod's Highlanders [Note: The wings wron on the shoulder.

Figure 10: Solidier 79th Foot Cameron Highlanders 1795. This was one of the new regiments raised because of the French Revolution. Like its predecessor the 26th riased in 1689 this was classified a Lowland Regiment and wore standard British infantry uniform.

Figure 11: Soldier 92nd Gordon Highlanders 1798 showing perfectly how the simple black feathers depicted in Figures 1 and 2 have now grown to dominate the whole headress.

Anyway, hopefully that helps a bit, but as a final shot I shall post a print of a soldier from The Black Watch as he probably appeared towards the end of his service in America showing just how much the uniform worn was affected by the low supply priority the Highland regiments got during service in America.

Although it doesn't say I suspect this might be a man from the Light company jusging by the tomahawk worn on his belt. The pistol and broadsword has gone as has his tartan plaid and sporran. These trousers shown here were worn towards the end of the war but most British Infantry regiments, the German Regiments actually favoured red and white striped ones. The bonnet shows the enphasised red and chequered band evolved during American service, though the black feathers in it are quite restrained in this image.

Prussian Light Infantry

Just a few notes on the Prussian Light Infantry.

Firstly, they are not Prussian Light Infantry, they are Freijager, Nobles Free Corps. Its dificult to understand the Friecorps system used by Prussia, but probably the closest similie would be to compare them to volunteer units like Tarleton's Legion. They are part patriot, part mercenary, and operated outside the standard Prussian Regulations in terms of drill and dress, only adopting those aspects that their commander considered appropriate. The units depicted 'De La Noble'sches Friecorps' was formed in Naumburg by Franz de la Noble (hence the name) and took part in the siege of Breslau and Schweidnitz. Noble himself was made prisoner in 1760, but was given back his command after his release 3 years later together with two other Friecorps battalions 'Von Luderitz' and 'von Wunsch). The three together forming Garrison Regiment nr 8. Friecorps battalions were normally composite formations containing their own Jager, infantry, grenadier and mounted sections. The Jager in 'De La Nobles' Friecorps are as depicted in your uniform plate, the ordinary infantry worn the same uniform with a tricorne hat and gaiters instead of boots.

Secondly, be wary of the uniform colours depicted in some of these prints, for example I have an almost identical print of 'De Nobles' Free Corps but in my copy the facings are shown as almost lime green, or yellow with a slight green tint. I think the best you can do without an actual sample of the cloth is to judge what seems the most sensible shade.

Certainly, if we were going to use 'De Nobles' Free Corps as a Prussian Unit I would expect it to be a special unit which could only be recruited once. Incidently, the Jager detachment was armed with rifles.
    Last edited by Didz; June 17, 2009 at 08:48 AM.

Hi all .. i have a idea about grenadiers units :
    You can make 2 or 3 models and we can choose what we want to recruit ? is it possible ... i have some mod like this : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...89#post5379589 and it propose different sort of line infantery units so why not different sort of grenadier ?

I know a bleu color we call "Bleu de France" ... http://pourpre.com/chroma/dico.php?typ=fiche&ent=france .... ans different bleu : http://pourpre.com/chroma/dico.php?typ=fiche&ent=bleu

Kiss at all lol
    Last edited by littleleo; June 17, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

Yes, in Britain we have French Blue which is the same colour.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: New Ancien Regime French Artillery mod

Hey, can I have Polish re-skin without DL-ing RoN?