Thread: Battle map speed reduced 50% mod

SteveUK's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Battle map speed reduced 50% mod

Quote Originally Posted by DerfelCadarn85 View Post
    im having a problem using this mod withe the sharpes mod and aum 1.8 mod
    no matter which vesion I use it always disables the sharpe and aum mod
    any help would be good
    thanks
    Hi....my mod should have no effect on any mod other than changing the movement speed. Are you using mod manager or adding the mods via your script file?
    Are you listing my mod as last in the list?

Moopere: Yes the A.I. is certainly quicker especially on formation changes imo. I think CA has probably increased the rate at which they do this to help the A.I. versus human?
    Mods I use;

My own for slowing movement.

"It is not truth that matters, but victory" Adolph Hitler.

Added another file mod_SB_speed_terrain which is the last for the time being. This will resolve strange speed-up issues. Please see first post for explanation.

Thanks for the comments and rep
    Mods I use;

Thanks a lot SteveUK. I have to admit its fuzzy in my mind as to the real on ground likely difference between modifying the units speed ratings directly (your previous mods) or using terrain modifiers to do the work (the most recent mod).

I guess modifying units individually allows one to change the speed relationship (ratio) between the different units. So, if you thought cavalry were about right but infantry were too fast then you could remedy that by adjusting only the infantry speed figures and leaving cavalry alone. By modding the terrain to say 50% then -both- cavalry and infantry will suffer the speed reduction....is this about the size of it?

Regards, Moopere

Quote Originally Posted by moopere View Post
    Thanks a lot SteveUK. I have to admit its fuzzy in my mind as to the real on ground likely difference between modifying the units speed ratings directly (your previous mods) or using terrain modifiers to do the work (the most recent mod).

I guess modifying units individually allows one to change the speed relationship (ratio) between the different units. So, if you thought cavalry were about right but infantry were too fast then you could remedy that by adjusting only the infantry speed figures and leaving cavalry alone. By modding the terrain to say 50% then -both- cavalry and infantry will suffer the speed reduction....is this about the size of it?

Regards, Moopere
    Yes, correct. It will effect all unit types and does not allow for fine tuning but is the easiest way for the time being. The terrain effects table has four columns which I presume uses seperate values for Infantry, Artillery and Cavary + Fleets? If I knew what unit class each column was assigned too, I could then alter values slightly. As it stands, the values seem fairly generic no matter the unit class. With testing, I could uncover the column assignments but this takes time which I do not have at present
    I may increase the Cavary charge speed at the weekend if nothing in real life gets in the way as I find it really slow using the terrain effects mod.

Regards, Steve

Edit: Ok...I had 30 minutes spare. I have identified three of the four columns but still unsure as to column two.
    Last edited by SteveUK; May 06, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
    Mods I use;

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK View Post
    Yes, correct. It will effect all unit types and does not allow for fine tuning but is the easiest way for the time being. The terrain effects table has four columns which I presume uses seperate values for Infantry, Artillery and Cavary + Fleets? If I knew what unit class each column was assigned too, I could then alter values slightly. As it stands, the values seem fairly generic no matter the unit class. With testing, I could uncover the column assignments but this takes time which I do not have at present
    I may increase the Cavary charge speed at the weekend if nothing in real life gets in the way as I find it really slow using the terrain effects mod.

Regards, Steve

Edit: Ok...I had 30 minutes spare. I have identified three of the four columns but still unsure as to column two.
    I had read elsewhere on the forums that the 4 columns were for cavalry, infantry, artillery and horse artillery...don't know if this was definitive or just a guess though.

Thanks a lot for your continuing efforts, I know what it is to be extremely busy yet still want to do a bit of modding, I certainly appreciate your efforts. As I've said previously, this mod more then perhaps any others I use has made the game playable again - vanilla speed is ridiculous.

Regards, Moopere

Anything that slows down the game is a great idea and I have been using one of the other mods right from its release (thanks).

Lately, things haven't gone so well though. The play speed using mod_SB_speed_terrain is way too high, even leasing aside the Olympian efforts of individuals to reform on the periphery of units. This latter difficulty really makes the game look odd but I suspect its not something that can be modded away.

I have been using the terrain speed mod alongside the latest DarthMod 1.9 as I wanted to be sure terrain is properly considered but I'm sure the whole thing is flowing much faster than it did with the combined mod.

Quote Originally Posted by moopere View Post
    I had read elsewhere on the forums that the 4 columns were for cavalry, infantry, artillery and horse artillery...don't know if this was definitive or just a guess though.

Thanks a lot for your continuing efforts, I know what it is to be extremely busy yet still want to do a bit of modding, I certainly appreciate your efforts. As I've said previously, this mod more then perhaps any others I use has made the game playable again - vanilla speed is ridiculous.

Regards, Moopere
    Thanks for the comments Moopere. I may well leave this alone now until further patches have been released as I do not get the time to even play the game and you can bet your life that CA will make further changes (Yep...they are changing the unit speed again according to the update thread).
    On the couple of battles I have played, speed seems just about ok.

Anthony T D: I'm not to sure what to say about that. Have you made sure that my mod is listed last in your Empire script? If you entered it manually, did you save it as a unicode txt file? If you used mod manager, try adding the mods manually as a few problems have been known to exist using mod manager since the update.
    If all else fails, try running my mod on it's own.
    Thanks for your comments
    Last edited by SteveUK; May 08, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Mods I use;

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony T D View Post
    Anything that slows down the game is a great idea and I have been using one of the other mods right from its release (thanks).

Lately, things haven't gone so well though. The play speed using mod_SB_speed_terrain is way too high, even leasing aside the Olympian efforts of individuals to reform on the periphery of units. This latter difficulty really makes the game look odd but I suspect its not something that can be modded away.

I have been using the terrain speed mod alongside the latest DarthMod 1.9 as I wanted to be sure terrain is properly considered but I'm sure the whole thing is flowing much faster than it did with the combined mod.
    Yes, seems so to me too. This one works as expected though:

mod_SB_50_combined.pack

Try it instead.

Cheers, Moopere

Thank you for the replies.

Some difficulty seems to have risen from the counter-intuitive way in which the mods are applied by mod manager. Thus, it is likely that Darth mod was overwriting this one. However...

There doesn't seem to be much differentiation (or perhaps any) in speeds due to terrain. The way in which cavalry can move through woods (why can they move through woods at all - Vanilla or otherwise?), it's far too easy. Overall speeds are still too high for my taste I'm afraid. Attending to one wing for a few moments, only to find that the other one has been completely swamped in the meantime, is no fun at all.

Since troops speed must be related in some way to other events on the battlefield, eg. ranged fire, I don't know why the designers have not traced again with a range of speeds. What they have implemented, two speeds to actually increase the rate of play and one to slow it down, all without sound isn't much use!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony T D View Post
    Since troops speed must be related in some way to other events on the battlefield, eg. ranged fire, I don't know why the designers have not traced again with a range of speeds. What they have implemented, two speeds to actually increase the rate of play and one to slow it down, all without sound isn't much use!
    Aha! So few people seem to understand this. You are 100% correct of course. If muskets have range X and fire at Y speed (in game) then marching and running speed must be a factor of X and Y.

Moopere

Hello!
    I have tried the terrain speed mod.I would say the sped became too slow for me.espessially for cavalery.Is it possible to increase it up 20-25%?
    Thanks!

Im sorry... but im lost.

i really want to use this mod, but i have no earthly idea as to how.

First off, i want to use it with darthmod. so do i put it in the DMCU forlder or still data? and i dont have a user scripts file for empire iteself. I do however have one for darthmod, so do i put it in the darthmod empire scripts??? and once i find it, do i keep the quotations around the line i have to add, or not?

also, can i use the 66% version or is it too old compared to newer patches?

forget it, i got it.

AMAZING tweak btw. THIS is real war. no olympic sprinter armies here...

i was actually able to pull of a proper flank maneuver for the first time since RTR

Hello, these mod run in MAC?

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Is there a way to reduce death animations speed ? Horses fall as fast as bullets drop on the ground. It's extremely unreallistic. Does this mod affect only movement speed ? Any more info ?

Hi, just came back to Empire. Wondering if anyone can tell me if I can download this mod anywhere?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123