Thread: [ETW AAR] O Ultramar (Portugal AAR)

Default [ETW AAR] O Ultramar (Portugal AAR)

Well, after my last AAR (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71061) i decided to start another one. Another portuguese AAR too.

Quote Originally Posted by Settings
    Difficulty: Medium / Hard
    Mods: Latest Darth

House Rules:
    None.

I will work on a later AAR using different rules.

I will also avoid battle screens. My current comp sucks, and i hate "Low" Settings screenshots.

And sorry for any grammar issues x.x
    It is the year of 1700. Portugal is an old power, it's possessions covering from South America to the Eastern Indies. Undear the leadership of Pedro II, appointed king after his brother Afonso II went mad, the Portuguese were recovering after the wars against the United Provinces and the years under Spanish domination.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Portugal is decaying. And even with it's big colonies in South America and Africa, Portugal needs to expand it's empire to survive. With many old fights with the Spaniards to the east and the muslims to the south, Portugal will have to face many problems to expand it's borders.

Portugal's fleet is strong, but it's an old fleet. Portugal's army is small and outdated, and so Pedro II appointed his trusted General, Antonio Luis de Sousa, to reorganize and to create an great army.

With many goals and so little to start, Portugal face many difficults. Where to expand ? When ? To Spain ? To Africa ? India ? It's colony in Goa is strong enough to start a campaign against the Pagans, but will it be worth ? And the lands of North Africa are in disarray, the people of Morocco are proud but can they stand against the Portuguese might ? And the many city-states of Tunisia, Algiers and Tripoli, can they be subdued ?

The Wars of Expansion - 1700-1719

1700 - By order of Pedro II, our king, the shipyards in Oporto started a construction of a new Galleon, named São Francisco Xavier. This galleon will join the fleet of Admiral Frederico Teixeira that will soon be leaving for the Ivory Coast.

Antonio Luis de Sousa start his reorganization of the army, recruiting the "1o Batalhão de Infantaria" in Lisboa. Also, the University of Évore received emissaries from the Great Britain that brought with them new and advanced technologies in the use of the bayonet.

1701 - Antonio Luis de Sousa finish the construction of the Fort Pombal very near the border with Spain. This fort will be the staging ground for the training and garrison of a new Portuguese army, a modern army. Also this will help to protect our borders against spanish invasions.

1702-1703 - Almirante Frederico Teixeira arrives at the Ivory Coast, where he starts a new trading post to bring slaves to the colonies in South America and India.

1704 - Dom Luis Carvalho, Duque'd Goa, started to recruit and train natives for the Garrison in Goa, the pagan people of India are starting to wage a terrible war against each other, and they might find Goa to be an easy target, so the king ordered his colony to be ready. The king also ordered the creation of a new fleet, to secure new trading posts.

1705 - With his new and modern army, General Antonio Luis de Sousa receives an letter from the king, ordering his troops to assemble in Oporto where they will meet with the king's ships to be sent for their baptism of fire.

1706 - 1708 A 1a Campanha de Marrocos (First Campaign of Morroco)

The ships set sail and arrive at the coast of Morroco, the troops are eager to fight. General de Sousa ordered his troops to get ready on the coast, and to be ready to march soon. A few days later a few riders could be seen in the horizon, scouts, and soon banners were flying. The muslims were coming to war.

O Massacre de Tangier - General de Sousa was ready for war, his army was modern and well trained. But he was not ready for the horde that came to him. The portuguese army had 7400 well trained men from the First Irish Regiment, and the Second and Third Infantry Regiments. Supported by the Cavalry from the King's own retinue, hardened men from Brazil, and the King's Artillery from Oporto. With a few skirmishers from the Douro area, hunters and killers.

But the Muslim army was big. 14.000 men strong (Around 1400). With too many riders, in camels and horses, and the hardy people of the desert.

They met on a coastal area of Morocco, the Portuguese tryed to form a line with skirmishers on front and cannons and cavalry on the flanks. And there they made their stand. And it was an bloodshed.

The infantry was not ready for the horde of camel riders that came to them. They General ordered them to fix bayonets and charge the riders, but it was too late, the Muslim infantry was already exploiting the gaps in the Portuguese line.

The battle soon turned to be an rout.

General Antonio Luis de Sousa led the last charge with his cavalry, the captain of his cavalry was a young Captain named Gil Rabulcaba, and together they charged the Moorish lines to give more time for his troops to withdraw to the beaches where the boats awaited them.

The brave general died on the first moments of the charge, and a fierce fight ensued to bring his body back.

Only 1.000 (100) men survived, and Rabulcaba led most of them back to Portugal to lick their wounds.

The king promoted Gil Rabulcaba to General in 8th August of 1708. Gil Rabulcaba wanted to march against Marrocos again, but he knew that he needed to work his troops harder than General Antonio Luis de Sousa had. They needed new tactics and weapons to fight against that light cavalry and fast troops. So the king asked his British ambassadors, and they sent for him new "toys". New cannons and an able British Major that came with weird ideas about an "Box Formation".

Reckoning was coming to Tangiers.

(End of Part 1. I will post the Part 2 with the Second Campaign of Morroco as soon as i can. Hope ya enjoy it. )
    Last edited by Hedniskhjäertad; April 02, 2009 at 08:50 PM.

CheekyKiwi's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [ETW AAR] O Ultramar (Portugal AAR)

great start ive been looking for a portugal aar for ages like to see the underdogs of iberia change there predicament. keep up the good work!
    "Mercy is not a revolutionary sentiment" General Wesstermann commander of Government in forces in Vendee

"I Dont kiss and tell, instead i 'em and brag" Pegz, true aussie Gangsta

"Victory till i Die"
    "Standing with my mates in the Southern Terrace"
    "We are Champions"
    Me, or my split football hooligan personality anyway

tuore's Avatar Senator

Nice start!

Another Alcácer-Quibir
    Good luck, i will be following this, since my pc is too crappy to play etw.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

nice to see that somoeone else multiplies the number of troops because he thinks that the ingame ones are too few!
    anyway, waiting for next part!

It's getting harder and harder to keep on playing ETW with all those crashes x.x
    Going to post part 2 soon.