Thread: Any Suggestions?

Indefinitely Banned

Default Any Suggestions?

I love this mod on Med II but since you upped the maintenance costs I'm having great difficulty running my Roman empire. Any hints or suggestions?

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Any Suggestions?

I'm just playtesting the Romans too, and the upkeep of the Candidati unit (character-bg's) are responsible for going quick bancrott ... just lower them to a moderate level will help immensely, or alternative, deny every new spawned character
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Indefinitely Banned

Thanks, I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I'm just playtesting the Romans too, and the upkeep of the Candidati unit (character-bg's) are responsible for going quick bancrott ... just lower them to a moderate level will help immensely, or alternative, deny every new spawned character
    Good suggestions DaVinci

The Roman units were all increased in costs and upkeep and more so even the Candidati general unit so be aware of the expenditure on your Roman armies upkeep from turn to turn

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Indefinitely Banned

Lol - you certainly have increased the cost of the Roman military, their generals are now obscenely expensive, and I'm now being very picky on who and how many I adopt.

I've also noticed that regardless of how many heretics my priests "send to a better place", they don't appear to get any better at their job, i.e. in an increase in experience. Is that by design? Personally, I've always found the priest/heretic thing tedious and a pointless distarction, but I suppose someone, somewhere likes them.

Great mod guys, I've even bought Southern's and Dixon's "The late Roman Army", to get more background info on how I should be structuring my armed forces.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Might I also modestly suggest this thread for the structuring of forces?!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142738

Although it's IBFD7.03, the research is still applicable!

Indefinitely Banned

Wow! Thanks matey, that is an excellent thread with some excellent links.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Good suggestions DaVinci

The Roman units were all increased in costs and upkeep and more so even the Candidati general unit so be aware of the expenditure on your Roman armies upkeep from turn to turn
    I'm aware of that background.
    Nonetheless, as Roman player you actually go bancrott pretty quick if you really don't deny the adoptions.
    So levelling the roman bg cost a bit down is okay though, i think - still you shall have cash issues, but as roman player you should keep the ability to play the campaign actively, and not only be a passive defender waiting on the Germans conquering your regions, so to say - is just my idea. While i like it to feel the pressure a lot, and loosing the regions ... seeing the end is coming ... lol. Just see also my other suggestions from today (4tpy).
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Hi my Rome empire econ. is - 5,000
    Should i reduce my troops,
    and also pull back from cities?
    I understand this was a tuff period in history, any ideas?

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    Hi my Rome empire econ. is - 5,000
    Should i reduce my troops,
    and also pull back from cities?
    I understand this was a tuff period in history, any ideas?

A few ideas:
    -I made the Candidati unit upkeep a little too high. So be careful when adopting them into family members..
    - slightly readjust your armies to cheaper foederati..this was the historical way
    - Don't be afraid to go on the offensive and capture territories

With the upcoming Beta patch II cities will be more realistically built up thus providing for income thus making finances a little easier but should make the barbarians more aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    A few ideas:
    -I made the Candidati unit upkeep a little too high. So be careful when adopting them into family members..

Who are they? Is this description a unit? I cant seem to find them.
    Sorry sort of new at this mod.
    - slightly readjust your armies to cheaper foederati..this was the historical way

I think this is a unit correct? Foederati?
    - Don't be afraid to go on the offensive and capture territories

With the upcoming Beta patch II cities will be more realistically built up thus providing for income thus making finances a little easier but should make the barbarians more aggressive
    Cool,i like the idea! Will there be any chance to have the eastern Roman empire in the future?
    Last edited by swhunter; April 11, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

The Colonel's Avatar Biarchus

More agressive barbarians? If the goal is to make the romans not playable for the more casual players then yeah. The original was difficult enough, good job on that one btw

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    Cool,i like the idea! Will there be any chance to have the eastern Roman empire in the future?
    And welcome here swhunter,

-Description in part Candidati:
    The Candidati are an elite force, chosen from the best individuals from the Schola Palatinae, and equipped and trained to the highest standards...They are the elite body guards of the Emperor and the Royal family.

-The Foederati can be archers cavalry or Infantry and can be from any factions other than the Romans. In IB2 mostly there are Germanic in origin but there are also the Huns and Berbers/Moors who can play a role as foederati troops for the Western Roman Empire. The word foederati will be displayed for that unit so you will know it is as such.

-Anything is now for the IB2 future is possible and I think an Eastern Roman Empire with a Sassanid rival would be interesting...but I think the EOR Mod has that covered.

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    More agressive barbarians? If the goal is to make the romans not playable for the more casual players then yeah. The original was difficult enough, good job on that one btw

Hi The Colonel,
    It will get slightly easier to play the Romans with the up coming patch, but...the Barbarians as they should be, will be agrressive and difficult to handle.

We want an enjoyable, playable game but also to convey the atmosohere of a time becoming more and more desperate for the WRE as it actually was historically.
    Last edited by Riothamus; April 12, 2009 at 09:54 AM.

[quote=Riothamus;4937913]And welcome here swhunter,

-Description in part Candidati:
    The Candidati are an elite force, chosen from the best individuals from the Schola Palatinae, and equipped and trained to the highest standards...They are the elite body guards of the Emperor and the Royal family.

-The Foederati can be archers cavalry or Infantry and can be from any factions other than the Romans. In IB2 mostly there are Germanic in origin but there are also the Huns and Berbers/Moors who can play a role as foederati troops for the Western Roman Empire. The word foederati will be displayed for that unit so you will know it is as such.

-Anything is now for the IB2 future is possible and I think an Eastern Roman Empire with a Sassanid rival would be interesting...but I think the EOR Mod has that covered.

Thanks Rio!

Libertus

my starting strategy for the WRE is:

1. reducing garrisons wherever possible and replace the dissolved units with free-upkeep ones
    2. optionally withdraw from towns where unrest is too high, therefore destroying all buildings to get the money and set the tax rate at very high
    3. Adjust taxes low in most city to encourage growth, just in the few huge cities they can set to high or very high
    4. improve trade: this means, first of all building ports, but it is important to build them in the right places; it wouldnt pay off to have an increase in trade profits of 50 or 100 $ but merely 300 upwards.
    5. Later on invest in mining: VERY profitable
    6. Never or very seldom adopt any potential family members
    7. Slowly establish christianity all over the empire to reduce religious unrest to be able to set the taxes higher

Cogito, ergo sum

Indefinitely Banned

I'm beginning to get the hang of the campaign now. Money was very tight initially but by keeping adoptions to a minimum and slowly building up the economic infrastructure I am now making between 10,000 - 15,000 per turn, depending on circumstances.

Rebel armies tend to spawn more frequently than I've experienced in other mods, but at least they are a good training ground for your field armies. I find the heretics a damned nuisnce at the best of times (I think they and witches are the least useful and most irritating additions in Med II) but their spawn rate in IB II seems greatly increeased over the norm! Start producing assassins to deal with them as soon as you can, because priests aren't very effective at controlling their numbers at all (they don't even accrue experience when they are succesful).

I do keep garrisons to an absolute minimum but try not to disband any of the better troops, you never know when they may come in handy.