Thread: [ETW AAR] At the Seventh Bell

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default [ETW AAR] At the Seventh Bell

At the Seventh Bell - A naval AAR

Well, ok, so since the other AAR didn't even get started before it CTD'd, I'm going to have a go at another idea I'd had for some time, ever since I saw that Empire had naval battles, in fact. I'm playing as Britain, but before you tut and shake your head, let me say this:

Despite the fact that Britain was a great seafaring nation, how many AARs can you honestly say you've read primarily about Britain's navy?

That's right, not alot. So that's the niche that this AAR fits into.

The AAR will take place as a series of letters and journal entries from Adrian Burnett, the First Lieutenant aboard the HMS Advantage, bound for the Carribean under Commodore John Leake, as the crew of the Advantage sail the high seas and battle the enemies of the realm, from the English channel, to the far side of the world.

-I'm using the latest version of Imperial Splendour, which I do believe does alter naval combat somewhat, though I'm not sure how exactly

-Apologies for the quality of the coming screenshots, but the image converting and the uploading combined seems to have diminished their quality greatly.

Without further ado, I present to you, my first (sort of ) AAR for Empire. I'll give you the first update very shortly.
    Last edited by Jingles; April 05, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: [ETW AAR] The Road to Independence - French style!

delete please
    Last edited by Jingles; April 03, 2009 at 04:10 PM.

cisse's Avatar Civis

Bad luck man, hope it works better from now on.

Well, at the moment I'm not sure if it was a problem with IS, so I've updated it to the newest version, and I'll give it another go. Fingers crossed...

edit: no luck I'm afraid. However, I'm already working on a new one, so bear with me for now...
    Last edited by Jingles; April 03, 2009 at 07:50 AM.

Graf zu Adler's Avatar Semisalis

I take t you're trying to play Louisiana? There are several script fixes out there for that, though you have to start a new campaign...these CTDs happen when the "Mother faction" tries to take over their colonies (which is scripted if the Mother Faction is under AI control), and it is, of course, not planned, that the colonies are under human control...

I hope you're going to make the AAR after fixing your porblkem...Louisiana sounds interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Graf zu Adler View Post
    I take t you're trying to play Louisiana? There are several script fixes out there for that, though you have to start a new campaign...these CTDs happen when the "Mother faction" tries to take over their colonies (which is scripted if the Mother Faction is under AI control), and it is, of course, not planned, that the colonies are under human control...

I hope you're going to make the AAR after fixing your porblkem...Louisiana sounds interesting
    I'll certainly come back to it at somepoint, as truth be told it was one of the most enjoyable campaigns I'd played. Well, I'll have a look for the fixes, but in the meantime I've got another idea, as I truly just can't be bothered to start the same campaign again right now.

Anyway, expect the first update for the new AAR soon. I'll be using this thread - waste not, want not after all.

Updated OP

Default Re: [ETW AAR] At the Seventh Bell

see, this is what i hate about ETW. ugh. my AAR is also on hold.

Hmm, the CTD's may explain why the ETW AAR section is pretty quiet so early after release. I managed to pop out an AAR without any problems so far. Good luck in your (new) AAR Jingle.

Dear Robert,

I have some excellent news! Well, quite a sizeable amount of news in fact, as I have not seen you a good month and a half since your departure at Portsmouth. Unfortunately, I did not get my commission as I had hoped. As I feared, the Lords Commissioner claimed that while I showed promise, I had not yet the experience befitting of a Captain. However, in light of my recent achievements, they saw fit to put me as a First Leiutenant aboard a flagship - the Advantage. I was, despite my lack of a commission, most pleased, as you will of course know that the Advantage is Captained by the formidable Commodore John Leake. He has quite a name for himself back home, and if my memory serves correct, you yourself served under him.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I was introduced to Leake the very same day, aboard the Advantage, an aged but sturdy 5th rate. He seems an amiable fellow, and we seem to have got on quite well since. The crew, suspicious as ever to newcomers, are fortunately a hard working bunch, well used to long campaigns at sea. I was informed upon my arrival that we were destined for the carribean, a hotbed of pirate activity these days. Although it must be said that even the Commodore was surprised at our posting. He and I both had expected to be sent to patrol the trade routes with india, along the coast of Africa, but it seems it is not to be. I personally though am of the opinion that the Admiralty is supervising the King's plans for expansion in the Windward islands at somepoint in the future, and should war break out with France, the Leewards as well. The crew were nonetheless pleased, as were the midshipmen, for we had heard stories of pirates attacking harmless merchantmen, and raiding small villages and ports in the carribean and the Bahamas, and all of were eager to have at them!

The journey was long, and dangerous too. The Atlantic is not the most predictable of oceans, and we lost one man, Jennings, when he fell from the rigging in the midst of a gale. Soon enough however, we reached the calm seas of the islands, and made port at Kingston, Jamaica. We spent a day there, refitting, before our orders came through, to patrol north, throught the Windward passage off Cuba, and then make for Antigua and Guadeloupe.

We set off at once, through the straits, passing many a Spanish merchantman as we went, as well as a British troop ship bound for Nassau. With them they brought news of home, as well as our reinforcements - A brig named Jersey, as well as two Sloops, the Dragon and Dryad. The Captain of the troop ship divulged us information regarding a Pirate Fluyt by the name of Liberty, as well as a pair of smaller ships operating in these waters. The Fluyt, it seems was stolen from the Duch port at Curacao, and so the Dutch Navy is searching for the pirates with a vengeance. The admiralty has sent us reinforcements to join the Commodore, as it seems England would have the Fluyt as a prize themselves, and to flaunt it at our Dutch cousins, I'll wager.

That's all I have time for now, as the post leaves tommorow, and The Commodore has just summoned me to his cabin. I hope you are well, and if you can, write back and tell me of the adventures you are no doubt having in the East!

Your devoted Friend,
    Adrian Burnett

Last edited by Jingles; April 03, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

tuore's Avatar Senator

Promising! rep!

Right, I'll get the next update up soon. However, this is turning out to be trickier than I first thought. Seeing as how I'm pretty bad at naval battles, I keep having to re load because the Advantage keeps getting sunk or surrenders in battles... You guys have any tips?

PallasArmata's Avatar Libertus

I'm using Imperial Splendour, also and it slows the ships down and gives the wind a greater impact. Seems to make them a liitle less susceptible to leaks, as well.

It requires even greater patience than vanilla. The best tip I have is this: when you are turning to making your second pass, be sure to turn with the wind, even if that is taking you further away.

Then if they try to close the gap they're going to get pounded because they have to make that angle to intercept your straight line (which also puts you out of their firing arcs).

Here's an example of what I mean:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...56#post4860456
    (Please don't feel that this is going to compete with your AAR--mine is going to become more focused on the grand strategy and int'l politics).

Don't even try to board. If you want to capture a ship, make sure most of its guns are gone and hit it with grape shot until it surrenders. However, watch the rest of your fleet--they'll keep hitting the routers or grappled ships with whatever shot they're loaded with. I lose more ships that way.

Forget chain shot--the English wouldn't use it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PallasArmata View Post
    Here's an example of what I mean:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...56#post4860456
    (Please don't feel that this is going to compete with your AAR--mine is going to become more focused on the grand strategy and int'l politics).
    Think nothing of it, In fact it's good to see others doing naval sections too, as I feel it's a really neglected part of the game, despite the fact that it's here that the AI seems strongest.

Thanks for the tip, and your AAR was very helpful. I must confess I pay little attention to the wind in my battles. I probably ought to though .

As for boarding, the annoying cannon firing bug gets on my nerves big time. Although it's helped me out more than once when the enemy has boarded me lol.

+rep for the help, and the link

Dear Robert,

Today, that is the 13th June at the time of writing, I had my first taste of action since leaving port in England. Since I wrote you last, we have sailed along the coast of Santo Domingo for a good many days. We struck the duldrums, but thank God, only for a day. Despite this however, Leake was obviously quite irate, as he and the rest of the officers well knew that the enemy could have been anywhere by then, because of our delay. Thankfully, Lady luck smiled upon us, for the wind picked up to our backs and we were soon on our way.

As I told you previously of the rogue Dutch Fluyt, you are aware that the Dutch Navy and our own were after this particular prize, and despite any formal alliances, from my short time in the theatre, it has become very much apparent to me that there is much rivalry between our two navies, and the Dutch still covet our island possesions, as we do theirs. Commodore Leake is no fan of the Dutch, and has expressed his opinion on our Alliance, and the King many times to me. I cannot rightfully say I agree with the good Captain's views, but he is my superior, so I make a point of nodding sagely in response to his comments.

It was not long before we reached the cape of Santo Domingo, where we stopped at a small native settlement on the coast to take on some extra supplies of food. It was when we made the stop that one of the Jacks shouted from the nest that he saw pennants on the horizon. It was not a clear day, and it was not clear to whom the ships belonged, but the Commodore evidently smelled victory, and had us make sail with haste. The Advantage quickly got away, while both the Dragon and Dryad stayed on longer to finish taking on the supplies before following suit.

We were no more than half a mile away when it became apparent that the ships we spotted were embroiled in combat. Leake took a look, and passed the glass to me. I peered through, to see a collection of Dutch warships skirmishing with another group, led by what was unmistakably a dutch Fluyt flying a black flag. I exchanged an excited look with the Commodore before beating to quarters, as we made our way towards the battle at full speed.

The Dutch leader had brought his ships alongside the Pirates, and exchanged broadsides. He then broke off from his own formation making directly for the Fluyt - he clearly wanted it as his prize. Both the Fluyt and Frigate exchanged one or two broadsides, if my memory serves me correct, and then the Dutchman broke away.

In the meantime the other dutch vessels had engaged with the other Pirate ships, unfavourably as it turned out, with one of them being sunk quite quickly after a well placed shot from a Pirate bow-chaser.Then an extraodinary thing happened. The other Dutch brig broke away, and headed directly for the Fluyt, and I swear to you this is true, Robert, he rammed the Pirate vessel amidships! It stopped him dead in his tracks, allowing the dutch admiral to get off a good broadside at his immobilised foe.

The small brig clearly had it's nose trapped in the belly of the Fluyt, and neither could move. It was apparent however, that the little vessel was taking on water, and it's crew were desperately attempting to stem the tide. Even so, the Dutch marines put on a good show, sniping at the enemy crewmen, causing a visible panic amongst them. The Dutch Frigate came back for another pass, this time foolishly on the other side, recieving a close broadside from the wounded pirate. The ship began to leak water, and limped away to one side.

The tiny Brig by this time had taken on so much water that the crew had abandoned the ship, as it began to sink with remarkable speed. The Pirate captain seized his chance and made a run for it, breaking away from the sinking Brig, in a bid for freedom. By the time the Advantage appeared on the scene, the Dutch captain, despite his arrogance, signalled us to give chase to the Fluyt.

Although he would not take the prize himself, he would take much of the credit, there was no doubt. We acknowledged the signal, and Leake had us turn about and give chase to the pirate on an intercepting course, signalling the rest of the British ships to do the same. The Fluyt by this point was of course in a terrible state, its sails were in shreds, and we quickly closed the gap thanks to our superior seamanship and the course we were on. For a time, too the Dutch kept the Pirate captain on his toes with frequent broadsides from the Frigate, which was now listing dangerously to one side, in fact I would go as far to say that the recoil from the cannons were actually helping keep the vessel afloat!

We caught up quickly and drew alongside the Fluyt, firing a dose of chain at the enemy rigging, succesfully damaging the enemy mizzen.

At this point, the Dragon and Dryad made an appearance, letting off a handful of shots at the enemy, who still persevered against all odds, sailing for freedom. Leake resolved to give them one more chance before we made to board them. We sent another broadside in their direction, and to our relief, the stubborn captain stuck down his colours, to much cheering from the men.

We sent out boats of marines to take control, before transferring the prisoners and scuttling the Fluyt. Leake would have rather taken it as a prize, and he said as much, but it was in such a state that one could see right through it in places for all the holes in the hull. We met up with the Dutchman afterwards, lending our carpenters to repair the hull and prevent the loss of the Frigate, and by nightfall the ship was upright again.

For all the rivalries between us, the Dutch crew and their Captain seemed quite reasonable, and I was able to make good conversation with them, largely thanks to their remarkable grasp of the English language. We exchanged information with the Dutch captain, noting our sightings of various Spanish vessels that the Dutch would make good pickings of, and in turn the Dutch Captain, a Mr Gerard Callenburgh informed us of sightings of more Pirate vessels to the East, near the Bahamas.

Eventually we parted, and the Advantage headed eastwards with the Dragon in search of the aforementioned vessel.

I trust you are keeping well despite it all, do you have any word from home? Rumours are circulating of war with France. Is this true?

Yours, Adrian Barnett
    Last edited by Jingles; April 06, 2009 at 08:16 AM.

Darn you for stealing my idea Jingles . I'm reading avidly.

PallasArmata's Avatar Libertus

Great! you couldn't make this stuff up!