Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SPARTA 3] A Corinthian AAR

Default Re: [SPARTA 3] A Corinthian AAR

Hurray ! Now smite down the gauls , and after that , take on greece

personally i would go for the etruscans first, then the grecians. then greece or even persia, the gauls don’t matter.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

I will continue the war with the Etruscans. I have 1 big army and i do not want to invade Greece and leave my cities in italian peninsula unprotected. I continued playing today and the Etruscans surprised me in a good way

Macedonia was,is and will always be Hellenic.
    it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

yea sometimes it is good to consolidate what you have. you will need to get some money to make any big invasions.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

PART 8: THE AMBUSH
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SUMMER 371 B.C. Our Macedonian allies still try to conquer the rebel settlement of Segestica, that has caused them a couple of defeats so far. Gauls are sending a small force near Salona once again. They do not give it up. East from Salona the Aetolian faction heir is exploring our territory with his bodyguards.

The diplomatic relations are very weird the last years. Our faction is allied with the Greek Macedones, the Persians and the Germanic people while fights Gauls, Etruscans and rebels. Macedones are allied with Sparta, Dacia and us and have a war with Athenians and rebels. Athenians have no allies and just enemies: Macedones, Spartans, Cretans and rebels. Cretans are allied with Aetolians and Epirotes and fight with Athenians and Spartans, a brave faction indeed. Our allies the Germanic people are on war with Dacians, Carthagenians are on war with Numidians, Gauls are allied with Etruscans and Brittons and finally our allies Persians are fighting with Spartans and have Dacians as their allies.

WINTER 371 B.C. All the Athenian cities are besieged and this is a bad sign for their future. Larissa from Macedones, Athens from Spartans and Chalkis from Cretans. They had to abandon their fort between Athens and Larissa in an attempt to break the siege of Larissa. If they do not make it our agents report they will be doomed in the next years.

Back to Corinthian matters now, Herakles and his army are still waiting to face the Etruscans in open field but they simply refuse. Certainly they will be aware about our army and are frightened. Herakles has got reinforcement from Rome a unit of onagers. Onagers will be the key to attack any Etruscan city nearby Herakles wants (Arretium or Ariminum).

SUMMER 370 B.C. Macedones conquered Larissa and Athenians immediately start a besiege to get it back while in Chalkis the Athenian defenders surrender without a fight. They run out of food and had no choice. Cretans after conquering Chalkis sent an invasion army in Minor Asia and besieged the Persian city of Halicarnassus. Persians did not expect a naval invasion to start from the cretan region of Rhodes and were unprepared to have a strong army to defend the city. Cretan intelligence and strategy has great results so far. They attack unexpected enemies with their great navy supporting them in every move they do. They are brave and smart and we must remember that when we will invade Greece and take back what is ours: the city of Corinth!
    Herakles is ready to march and fight the Etruscans. He has a dilemma though. Should he attack the Etruscan army that stands in the way to Ariminum or go northwest and conquer the Etruscan capital Arretium? His advisors suggest him to attack their capital. This will create a huge shock to the Etruscans and their morale will get low. They will start to see they cannot win this war Herakles thinks and decides to attack Arretium.

Herakles fell into a well designed Etruscan ambush! Hidden in the forrests the experienced Etruscan general Flavius Julius with an elite force is attacking our unprepared men from every side!!! Clearly a huge mistake of our secret intelligence not to warn us for this army.

The battle begins with our men being panicked since they do not know the number of the enemy and the orders from Herakles cannot be heard with the noise of the Etruscan warcry!

Some of our men are trapped and got killed easily from Etruscan cavalry, skirmishers and archers.

The situation is getting worse. Some men start to flee while others do not know if the soldiers they hear from the trees coming are Corinthian brothers or Etruscan enemies! Etruscan general is a brave man and inspires his men.

Etruscan elites surprise once again our confused men.

Herakles seeing that his orders cannot be heard in the panic of battle starts to take action before all is lost!

Herakles shouts to his men to stand and fight like true Greeks! One of his bodyguards sees Flavius Julius attack our hoplites nearby and immediately Herakles decides to attack him and brake the morale of his soldiers. He must not fail!!!

Herakles managed to kill both Flavius Julius and his brother that was second in command in this ambush Manius Julius in an epic fight! Herakles had the support of his armoured hoplites who fought next to him.

The next step is to kill the slingers, skirmishers and archers who kill our men from distance. Such a death is not a noble one for our men and our cavalry has to give an end to it.

Etruscans do not flee, even though their generals have been killed. They came to fight and that's what they do!

Men from both armies can be seen lying dead everywhere.

Herakles chases the Etruscan cavalry that tried to assist the Etruscan skirmishers.

More Etruscans die from Herakles and his brave bodyguards.

Our hoplites managed to hold and killed many Etruscans.

The few Etruscans who had survived start to flee. Herakles does not want to face these veterans again and starts to chase them!

He still chases them.

They won't escape so easily.

A tough victory that caused us so many dead comrades and friends like never before. As we were counting the dead enemies we realized they were half of our men but managed to fight like they were equal in numbers. The important thing was that we managed to keep our onagers and crew safe from this ambush.

The battle statistics show the importance of Herakles bodyguards and killings in this hard fight.

Last edited by salaminomaxos79; April 09, 2009 at 08:27 AM.

you were lucky! you may have slowed your progress by not investing in spy’s, however i am glad you didn’t go back to a saved game like many a lesser man would!

good battle

i enjoy have difficulties in my campaigns. they make the game more interesting to play

PART 9: FALL OF ARRETIUM
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After the victory in the Etruscan ambush, Herakles knows that the way to Arretium is open for him and he is ready to conquer it.

The number of troops give us the advantage plus the fact we have experienced units and Herakles has become even better general after all those victories he has achieved.

Onagers did their job well and the city fell without a strong resistance to Corinthian hands.

Harakles decides to punish the citizens of this miserable Etruscan capital for all the pain that have caused to Corinthian mothers and wives. The financial of our faction improves significantly after the extermination of the population.

At the same time in Greece, Athenians still besiege Larissa and Spartans besiege Athens.

WINTER 370 B.C. Macedones manage to break the siege and the remaining Athenians regroup and move to Athens to assist their capital. If Athens falls to Sparta hope will be lost for the Athenians. They have to fight and win this time.

Captain Thothorses who is in command in Salona decides to attack the Gauls before they get reinforces and threat the city. He traps them near the sea and Gauls have no place to hide. they must stay and face our Corinthian soldiers.

We send the skirmishers in front to throw their javelins and force the Gauls to send their cavalry to chase them.

Our plan worked. The horsemen are easily killed by our hoplites with their long spears.

Time to engage with their infantry.

While our archers throw their arrows the Captain of the Gauls is watching the field and orders his skirmishers to use their javelins against our hoplites.

Gauls fight bravely but they are slowly losing ground.

They will soon start to flee

Time to surround the Gauls who still fight.

Their captain is left alone and surrounded. His skirmishers are not a threat to us.

He dies and victory is ours.

An easy victory

Statistics

Harakles marches to attack Ariminum and hurt the Etruscans even more.

Last edited by Agisilaos; April 28, 2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: merged double post

Lol , disband those mercenaries with 1 unit in them

seams like the italian peninsula will soon be yours. it is nice to see the gauls AI making its strong troops even though they are expensive. this is just as i thought; give the AI more money and strong potential opponent units, and it will try to match them.

after 4 years i read my aar again. my pc was terrible at those times i see...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123