Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SPARTA 3] A Corinthian AAR

Default [SPARTA 3] A Corinthian AAR

This is my first attempt for an AAR. i hope you will enjoy it.

Difficulty
    : HARD / VERY HARD

An alternative way to play with Corinth
    PART 1 CORINTHIAN REFUGEES
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SUMMER 380 B.C. According to the oracle of Delphi our people are doomed unless we sail away! Hearing this bad omen our faction leader Mithradates and his son Herakles start to sail western. Their aim is simple. We have to expand if we want to survive. There is a Persian invasion in Greece and things do not look good. We are allies with the tremendous Spartans, the horse masters Thessalians and the rich Athenians but recently our spies warn us that there are suspicions of betrayal. We cannot believe such a thing. How would they do such a thing to their fellow Hellenes? Mithradates has taken with him most of our army and he has left our capital weakly defended since we are amongst friends and allies.
    WINTER 380 B.C. The Spartan army that was headed to fight the Persian invading force suddenly turns and besieges our capital and only city! Could the omen be a trap to make us leave our lands unprotected? Could it be the only way to survive? No one could know. Our leader and army were sailing somewhere in the Ionian sea while we were besieged. Certainly Zeus has abandoned us. Only a god's curse could have allowed such a thing to happen to our proud citizens!

Things were as bad as the spies had warned us. After the Spartan treachery our Thessalian and Athenian allies have shown their worse face. They cancelled our alliance and even gave mercenaries to help the Spartan traitors! Things cannot get any worse!

While our leader besieges the barbarian city of Tarentum in souther Italy the news have been heard. Corinth is under siege and Mithradates can do nothing to stop it! The only hope is to start a new life in Italy and one day return and claim what is ours while we destroy our enemies: Spartans, Thessalians and Athenians.

Immediately he sends a diplomat to the barbarian Persians and he achieves a ceasefire. We do not want to have one more enemy to deal with, for now. Time will be on our side from now on. Things have to change and will change! Herakles promises that to his old father and faction leader Mithradates.

The time has come. This is the battle that will offer us a new home to expand since we have accepted the forthcoming fate of our motherland Corinth. The barbarians are not a threat for us. We have to win and we will. The odds are on our side!

Mithradates lets Herakles take command of Tarentum while he takes the army to besiege Croton. We have to expand as quickly as possible if we want to be prepared for a future betrayal from the savage neighbors around us.

At the same time the Spartan army attacks our capital the glorious city of Corinth! Will the traitors achieve their mission to conquer the cradle of our civilization?

Macedonia was,is and will always be Hellenic.
    it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Default Re: [SPARTA 3] A Corinthian AAR

Hurray ! the first Sparta 3 AAR ! It's very good , you may wanna put it in the AAR subforum

it has many AARs there, so it is better if i keep it here. thanks for your comment.

PART 2: FALL OF CORINTH

The city was going to fall to Spartan hands. The defenders knew they could not avoid slavery or death! The only thing left was, the way they would act. They chose to die than surrender and be sold as slaves. The general wanted to give them the will to fight till the last man and in order to achieve it, he decided to attack to the ram and give the archers the time to use their arrows till the last. If the ram, ladders and tower were destroyed the Spartans could never make it inside the city. It was not an easy task but they had to try it.

They managed to destroy the ram but not the ladders or tower. The general ordered to retreat to the town center besides the archers. They could still use their bows and take down to cold Hades as many enemies they could!

Spartans advance with ladders and tower under the volley of Corinthian arrows.

The Spartans manage to get to the walls. Archers have no place to go and will stay and fight!

While the archers are fighting, the gate opens and the enemy army gets into the city.

The first enemies who reach the town center are an easy target for our experienced hoplites!

Heavy infantry from Athens, Thessaly and Crete are approaching.

The hard fight begins. Phalanx versus phalanx. Their superior numbers will count this time! We start to lose more and more men!

Spartan hoplites are trying to flank us from an other entrance to the town center. Our levy hoplites are no match for them but they do not retreat. They fight till the last...

Our experienced hoplites cannot hold their position any more.

It is time for the general to attack and take with him to the underworld as many enemies he and his loyal bodyguards can kill.

Corinthian flags will not be seen for the next years in Corinth.

Hope is lost but they still fight till the last man!

Death is all around him and he is left alone, but he still fights!

A heroic death! Pharnaces is not going to be forgotten. We will be back one day!

Dionysios the Spartan conquers our beloved city. Corinth is lost but hope is still alive in Italian shores.

Last edited by Agisilaos; April 28, 2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: merged double post

Wht a bummer ~ screw the Spartans !

When you fight superior hoplites in the street , it's best that you put op your hoplites near the town center , and there put them both vertically and horizontally .. like this (little stripes are your hoplites , and the stars are the superior hoplites)

-----------

I had 2 generals, 2 units of archers, 1 unit of levy hoplites and 2 units of elite hoplites. i could not win this battle. Spartans and their mercenaries were way better than my troops! i enjoyed it even though i lost. that will make the campaign more challenging i think.

nice AAR salaminomaxos79.

the spartans have already got there extra units! they should have to take crete to get the cretans etc.

even though all greeks begin as allied the spartans seam to have it in for the corinthians. best to move them all out [every single one] and take other territories away from them. if not italian then try the weaker persian regions.

nice screens.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Thank you Quetzalcoatl. from the 1st turn they betrayed me. i was surprised! it makes it very interesting.

oh it usually takes them at least 2 turns .
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

PART 3: EXPANDING

The time to conquer Croton had come. Mithradates had an easy task. Those few rebels could not stop our might army!

This is our kingdom lands since we left home.

Persians are still in Greece pillaging and killing while the Greek armies just patrol their lands without take any action.

We decided to turn our backs to the rest Hellenes since they betrayed us.

Crete declared war to Sparta while many alliances have been broken and ceasefire has come for Persians and Thessalians. Maybe Persian gold was behind all these changes. It has happened before!

SUMMER 378 B.C.
    Mithradates our faction leader dies and the kingdom is in the capable hands of his son Herakles. He knows that a quick expansion is the key for wealth and power and according to this he acts. He takes with him the biggest part of the army and heads to conquer the barbarians who live in Capua, which is southern from a big city called Rome. Romans live in a small egion but their armies are very strong merchants warned us. We have to keep an eye on them. At the same time our small fleet carries a smaller army to Salona. From there we will be able to create a base for furure invasions in Greece.

We send our diplomats and achieved to sign an alliance with the etruscans who live northern than the Romans. It is always good to have allies as long as they do not betray you like those cursed Spartans.

Herakles knows that if he dies our kingdom will start civil war without a noble leader and he dicides to marry his daughter with a young teenager called Asander. He is going to stay in Tarentum and recruit soldiers that will help us expand further more.

WINTER 378 B.C.
    Weland at Salona and we are surprised to notice that those peaceful barbarians did not even have a wooden wall to protect their lands and homes from a threat. This was a mistake we were not going to forgive. We attacked them immediately before they call for help their fellow barbarian brothers northern from there and had an easy victory.

Another suitable husband appeared and Herakles was glad to marry his 2nd daughter with such a loyal Corinthian that was born in Gordium of Minor Asia.

The time for Herakles has come. Rams are ready to crash the wooden walls of Capua and kill the defenders who do not surrender to our glorious kingdom.

SUMMER 377 B.C.
    Diplomatic relations of our kingdom are stronger since we managed to become allies with the Hellenes of Macedonia and Aetolians.

WINTER 377 B.C.
    Romans declare war on us and besiege Capua. Immediately more bad news arrive. Aetolians and Etruscans cancel our alliance but at least we manage to have a ceasefire with the Spartans. We cannot make them pay for their betrayal now and it is better if we start to trade with them since we live in a hostile environment and we need the money to recruit descent armies to protect our new conquered lands.

Pharsanzes takes the rest of our army and moves to Capua to help his father in law and faction leader. He even sends a messenger to Herakles telling him not to attack since he is getting closer, but the messenger is caught and killed by the Romans.

In Capua Herakles has heard that a second Roman army is coming to attack him and decides that he has to act before it is too late. He did not know that Pharsanzes was close and ready to help him.

The two armies had similar numbers but Herakles was a better general and he was going to prove it. It was not an easy battle but we achieved a clear victory!

Back in Greece, Aetolians declared war and the Thessalians were besieged.
    while Persians were attacking Numidians in the northern part of Africa.

The second roman army besieged Capua but this time Herakles was not alone. Pharsanzes was there to assist him. This time numbers were on our side and that would make our task easier.

This was a mistake. We won but lost many more men than we had expected. We should not underestimate those Romans again.

Nice job ! Do you autoresolve battles ?

usually yes. only when things are very tough i do them myself in order to kill as many enemies as possible.

great story so far salami [lols on abbreviated name]!

a spartan gamer does not auto resolve!!! [except when it is tiny armies VS rebs later in the game, thats just boring] you very nearly lost it against the romans, yet if you had fought each battle personally, you would be left with more men! this could have been a crucial difference.

for an alternate game with corinthians try changing the alliances in desc strat to -10 ~ where at present they are ‘0’, the minus value makes them like vanilla romans at the start of the game, so e.g. if sparta is -10 with corinth, they will not attack you.

in this way you can set different alliance strengths for groups of greeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    great story so far salami [lols on abbreviated name]!

a spartan gamer does not auto resolve!!! [except when it is tiny armies VS rebs later in the game, thats just boring] you very nearly lost it against the romans, yet if you had fought each battle personally, you would be left with more men! this could have been a crucial difference.

for an alternate game with corinthians try changing the alliances in desc strat to -10 ~ where at present they are ‘0’, the minus value makes them like vanilla romans at the start of the game, so e.g. if sparta is -10 with corinth, they will not attack you.

in this way you can set different alliance strengths for groups of greeks.
    Thanks Quetzalcoatl but i am a Corinthian gamer I accept the battle results (bad or good) and i do not cheat even though i would have less losses.
    The more defeats i get, the more exciting the campaign becomes for me.
    It is good that the AI betrayed me so early cause it made me move to Italy and let the rest Greek factions deal with each other and the Persians. It would be horrible to exterminate the Spartans from the start (i sound very optimistic, aren't i?)
    Thanks for the advices but i will keep playing according to the mod design (alliances etc). I just changed some from the faction colours. Now they look better i think. Tomorrow i shall post the next update

corinthian gamer

you think the corinthians could take on the spartans?

looking forwards to the next part of your saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    corinthian gamer

you think the corinthians could take on the spartans?

looking forwards to the next part of your saga.
    i believe with the elite corinthian units plus my "wise" leadership they can do miracles i will have to do them manually if i want to beat them and not get humiliated!

ha yes you will

spartans are quit stronger than your elites, but you could hold them up with a line of infantry and use cav around the back or something like that ~ as long as they don’t have same amount of cav!

or fight them downhill then your troops are as strong or maybe even stronger.

the rtw engine kinda overdoes that a bit eh, in real life going uphill did not make that much of an advantage for phalanx units [a bit but not so much as rtw].

they are stronger but they will not expect a naval invasion full of elite units. until i manage to do that i do not know what kind of situation i will have to deal with in the world map. maybe they will control most of greece and will have many stacks waiting for me. time will show! it is too early to say but so far my campaign goes very well. Romans will be in serious trouble in the next update

well historically early romans werent that strong compared to many greeks, but there again corinthians would not have moved out of corinth.

yes of course, you are right. it is just a game after all not reality
    in the next update 1 faction will not exist anymore. who do you think could it be?

my guess is rome, then etruscans, then magna grecia? by that time you will be strong enough to take on persia, gauls, germans or carthage.

maybe a good idea to go south if persia is heading across africa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast