Thread: dog units

Default dog units

Do you have units with wardogs (similar with RTW1.1 Vanilla )?

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: dog units

No. There is no precedence for wardogs in the late Roman period, I'm afraid.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    No. There is no precedence for wardogs in the late Roman period, I'm afraid.
    Is there any precedence for wardogs in any roman period?

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Is there any precedence for wardogs in any roman period?
    No i am afraid not...
    That unit is kind of fictional based on roman myths just like the one with Pyrus' alephants and roman pigs...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Yes, anyone thinking that Roman wardogs existed as a real unit must be barking . . .

And what period is this ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_dog

50 - Rome conquers Britannia. Giant fighting dogs called Pugnaces Britanniae are discovered and exported for integration into the military of ancient Rome.
    101 - The Romans employ one fighting dog company per legion.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibalus View Post
    And what period is this ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_dog

50 - Rome conquers Britannia. Giant fighting dogs called Pugnaces Britanniae are discovered and exported for integration into the military of ancient Rome.
    101 - The Romans employ one fighting dog company per legion.
    My friend all armies had dogs for some specific duties even before Romans!
    But they were NEVER a full battlefield unit!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I would like to read the source used to cite that. A fighting dog company per legion sounds interesting as well as 'giant fighting dogs called Pugnaces Britanniae'.

EDIT - yes, it seems that Strabo and Arrian referred to British fighting dogs but not as Anthonius II points out in terms of a dedicated battlefield unit.
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; April 02, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

maybe a Officer Dog

Yes. Sounds good.
    MTW2 permits as I know 3 officers so it could be implemented at least by certain units a single dog. (in the game code an officer)
    Historian recognise that dogs where used at every army. It is only questonable if as a standallone unit or not in a certain period.
    Almost every modding team claim a higher historic accuracy so why not implement at least a couple of dogs ?
    I understand that it was inaccurate in RTW1.1 Vanilla to put the dog unit in the roman army as the must efficient unit and have armies consisted only from dogs.
    But to eliminate them completelly it would be also historicly inaccurate.

What about kamikaze pigs, catholic priests and campwagon women?
    All of them epecialy the later ones have great role in morale building.
    Dogs were trained as guards or for recon duties, tracking down deserters, enemy scouts for hunting or the bloody Roman recreation etc... I doubt they were ever used as line troops during the field battles.

I see the war dog(dog units) during the 5th century especially in the Western empire and in the surrounding Germanic lands as more of a protector of its noble master. Usually someone of high status or the war leader himself. It may be a good type of ancillary to use beyond the current ancillary pet hunting dog.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Campidoctor

Heh good old war dogs. I seriously doubt that CA AU even left them in the game. As in I doubt anyone would be able to implement them. Considering other units like Chariots and Berserkers were removed, I suppose for space within the code, I don't see why they would have left wardogs in. I'll admit it was a fun unit to mess around with though.

it is implemented... by Eothese

I love how simply because something comes from wikipedia it instantly gets shelved without actually looking at the sources.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...649C946496D6CF
    Well, one source was the New York Times, which, personally, I would consider a reputable source. That being said, I get that an actual unit of war dogs is kinda ridiculous.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

A dedicated dog unit would be ridiculous in any mod. However I do think that given the Romans did breed and train dogs for fighting in the arena, they would have have probably be given some role in the army for defending a camp from night attack or legion standards during battles from being quickly taken. Assuming it's not a Photoshop alteration, look at the size of that Bull mastiff in comparison with that white pony. If dogs were bred this size, they would certainly prove formidable opponents even with a sword and shield in your hand.

master88's Avatar Miles

If that is not photoshop dog then that is HUGE DOG. Knowing romans they wont pass that chance to not implement a couple of dogs in a legion or army, not as a unit but a dog or 2 with an army or legion.
    Last edited by master88; April 06, 2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: I had more to say or else people would get the wrong idea
    Roman Gunner

Studpuffin's Avatar Tiro

That's gotta be a photoshop. The shadow of the dog is too small.

And its hind right leg is missing...

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Yep, photoshop it is. And there is no accounts of dogs on the battlefield, thus depriving us of information a) type of dog, and b) number of dogs/handlers, uniforms, etc.
    Sad, really, as I miss the little yappers from vanilla Rome...