Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rename your Admiral's / General's / King's / Edit Family Tree

Default Rename your Admiral's / General's / King's / Edit Family Tree

Ok, please be patient with me as I am new to these forums and not sure how to write these fancy tutorials, but I will do my best

First of all i'd like to thank l33tl4m3r for the information on the localisation.loc file here and the boys who created the Pack File Manager and ESF Editor (without them we'd be lost)

Ok, first things first, please BACK-UP your files before changing them, just in case.

You will need Pack File Manager (here) and the ESF Editor (here).

Step 1) Open up local_en.pack in your data folder using PFM (Pack File Manager) and click on local_en.pack then click on text and highlight the file named: localisation.loc
    At the top right side of the pack file manager you'll see: Add New Row, Clone Current Row, Delete Current Row | Export TSV Import TSV.
    Click on Export TSV into a NEW folder named "text" INSIDE your data folder. Also RIGHT mouse click on localisation.loc on the LEFT side under text and choose Extract Selected to the same "text" folder inside your Data folder.

EDIT: You can just open up the localisation.loc file inside the local_en.pack or patch.pack using the Pack File Manager and highlight a line (I.E. names_name_names_piratesJoseph Joseph False) that you would like to copy and click on CLONE up at the top to make it easier than step 1. Thank you Zanno

Step 2) Open up your text folder that you created inside your Data folder and RIGHT mouse click on localisation.loc.tsv, then choose Edit or simple open it up with notepad.
    Now you have to find what type of unit you want to rename, I will use an example in this tutorial:
    names_name_names_piratesJoseph Joseph False
    names_name_names_piratesCofresi Cofresi False
    Now COPY these lines and PASTE them at the BOTTOM of this file so that it adds 2 new lines at the very bottom.
    Now rename them to what you wish your Admiral's / General's name to be, for this tutorial I will choose my name:
    names_name_names_piratesJamie Jamie False
    names_name_names_piratesBrannen Brannen False
    Choose File then Save at the top right hand corner of your notepad / not save as.

Step 3) Now at the top right hand corner of your Pack File Manager, choose FILE - NEW and choose a folder (doesn't matter which).
    Rename the new pack file to whatever you wish but make sure you click on "Choose a Pack Action" and select MOVIE TYPE!
    Now, RIGHT mouse click on the name of the pack file and choose Add Directory and choose the text directory inside your Data file that you created.
    It should add 2 files under the subfolder text, you need to DELETE the localisation.loc.tsv from here, but KEEP the localisation.loc file.
    Choose FILE at the top and SAVE.
    Next, highlight localisation.loc and it should open up on the right side of your Pack File Manager, then at the top choose IMPORT TSV and choose the localisation.loc.tsv file inside your text folder inside your Data folder.
    Choose FILE at the top and SAVE.
    (NOTE: Make sure it is saved inside your DATA folder with the other pack files).

NOTE: Make sure to BACK-UP your saved game before this step!! You can also use the startpos.esf file under Data\Campaigns\Main to permanently make these changes, no matter how many games your start.
    Step 4) Open up your Esf Editor and choose a saved game you have.
    (Mine is here: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games)
    Ok, now click on your saved game then CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME, then CAMPAIGN_ENV, then CAMPAIGN_MODEL, then WORLD, then FACTION_ARRAY and find your faction in here under FACTION, it could take a bit.
    Once you've found your faction for this saved game, click on CHARACTER_ARRAY and find the unit (Admiral / General / Captain / etc) you'd like to rename and choose CHARACTER, then CHARACTER_DETAILS, then you'll see 3 (THREE) lines that state: CAMPAIGN_LOCALISATION.
    Choose the FIRST CAMPAIGN_LOCALISATION and copy/paste the line you added inside the localisation.loc.tsv file as your forename (FIRST NAME).
    Like this:
    names_name_names_piratesJamie
    Next click on the SECOND CAMPAIGN_LOCALISATION and copy/paste the line you added inside the localisation.loc.tsv file as your surname (LAST NAME).
    Like this:
    names_name_names_piratesBrannen
    Leave the THIRD CAMPAIGN_LOCALISATION alone.
    Now choose FILE / SAVE at the top.

Also you can click on PORTRAIT_DETAILS and change the looks of your unit by choosing a different picture. NOTE: You should unpack the ui.pack portraits to view them all or you can even add one yourself. EXAMPLE: ui\portraits\middle_east\cards\imam\young\014.tga --- ui\portraits\middle_east\info\imam\young\014.jpg
    Click on DATE (the first DATE listed) and change the year your unit was born to set their age.

EDIT: You can go into FAMILY under Faction and change your Family Tree / King names / etc. YOU MUST edit the FAMILY , ORDINAL_PAIR and CHARACTER_ARRAY to change your king / ministers. Just click and find their name on both and change.

EDIT: I found this and thought i'd add it to the tutorial

If your King has I,II,III,IV,V, etc. in his/her name, then you need to change this section as well.

Step 5) Log into your game, choose your saved game and enjoy ~
    It should look like this: SCREENSHOT , SCREENSHOT2 , SCREENSHOT3 , SCREENSHOT4 , SCREENSHOT5, SCREENSHOT6 , SCREENSHOT7

NOTE: I am back tracking all my steps to make sure I didn't miss anything
    Last edited by Macdaddy02; April 21, 2009 at 02:01 AM.

aronnov's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [TUTORIAL] Rename your Admiral's / General's / King's / Edit Family Tree

very nice! giving this a try. +rep

*edit*
    works like a charm
    Last edited by aronnov; April 02, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    Honor ... means that a man is not exceptional; fame, that he is. Fame is something which must be won; honor, only something which must not be lost. ~ Schopenhauer

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

Default Re: [TUTORIAL] Rename your Admiral's / General's / King's / Edit Family Tree

You've given me hope and probably a soon to be corrupt game since I'm an amateur at best with modding in general. Still, I suspect, I will be spending more time with this than the actual game for the time being. Please dig further, our family tree need to be restored and lord knows I'm not the guy to fix it.

Edit: And yes, this is rep worthy indeed

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

Some screenshots of the process?(please)
    Edit:
    ------------------------------------------------

nevermind...i managed . U can also change portraits and everything...awsome =). Anyone found portrait of napoleon in there? . I only Found George washington and John smith under custom... . I read somwhere that there will be quite a few historic persons in game .

Historical figures:
    - Peter The Great
    - Malborough
    - Charles XII of Sweden.
    - Wellington.
    - Napoleon (according to PC Gameplay).
    - According to Mike Simpson, there's even a possibility to have Napoleon himself in your own ranks when around the end of the century you recruit an artillery unit in Corsica.

it says he is recruitable at the end of the century but i dont want to wait that long..+ im playing with four turns per year mod .

Edit again: i think its a bit less complicated if u do it like i did.. i just used clone current row 2 times in localisation.loc and put in first and last name then deleted everything except localisation.loc and used save as "something" then continued like in step 4.
    Last edited by Zanno; April 02, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

I hereby declare macdaddy02 to my hero of the day!

Also big thanks for adding the screens as links instead of direct.
    Its not common here, but i realy like it cause the thread becomes much more readable.

Thanks guys!

Yes, I would have added screenshots to make it a lot easier to understand, but I use Fraps and seems to not take screenshots of the desktop

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Nice work man!

HAHA Iceman I! Pirates just got scarier!

+rep
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Quote Originally Posted by Macdaddy02 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Yes, I would have added screenshots to make it a lot easier to understand, but I use Fraps and seems to not take screenshots of the desktop
    Prt Sc and then pasting in Paint doesnt work for you?

Ahh! It's been so long since i've done that, I forgot about pasting it in PsP!

Thanks a lot, I will submit screenshots soon

Thank you !!! Im already making custom portraits of napoleon and i'll be changing other stuff too..it all stated cause u explained how to change names of generals

-----------------------------
    Edit:
    Results of my effort in attachment
    (u might not recognize him , he is still young in this pic)
    Last edited by Zanno; April 02, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Ok guys, I added screenshots showing how it all looks inside the pack file manager and ESF Editor, please let me know if more is needed, thanks

Hey Zanno, how do I put the images as thumbnails in my tutorial like you have there? I think that'd be a lot easier for people to see...

BTW: How would I go about checking to see if I could possibly get this a sticky?
    Last edited by Macdaddy02; April 02, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

i hope that is clear enough for u
    ------------------------------------------------
    Edit:
    Did you try to change names the way i described? I still think its a bit easier..
    Last edited by Zanno; April 02, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Yeah man, works great, thanks

But should I attach them as thumbnails at the bottom of the tutorial or leave them "BIG" throughout the steps like this?

What do you guys think?

It looks good the way it is.

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

How I can change age of the king?

Good work.
    Can give my family amusing names now.
    +rep

Thanks, I was wondering how to edit age. I was trying to edit age with cheat engine a couple weeks ago

Peresvet: You need to search "Character Array" for your king's name, then you'll see "DATE" under the listings that will allow you to set the year he was born.

Look at the last image that show's the example, you'll see the "DATE" under the third "HERE" in my example screenshot.

Thanks to all the thanks guys, i'm glad to see the tutorial helps you guys

nvm
    Last edited by Znex; April 15, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast