Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vestigia Vetustatis Helpful hints for beginners

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Re: VV helpful hints for beginners

ok make a thread to debate the shroud of turin thanks guys.

i have edited the guide again, let me know if it's heading in the right track, or if there is more that should be done or other things you'd like to add.

as i have said, its an evolving process and i'm aiming for consensus (tough i know!)
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Vestigia Vetustatis Helpful hints for beginners

Can' t you read? How many more times do I have to explain to people with low reading comprehension that my list was a list of topics which I consider stupid and which I'm jokingly saying will invoke my wrath as part of the joke I was having with Atterdag . It's NOT a list of things that I'm forbidding. Hey, bring on the discussions of those stupid positions by all means.
    Sorry TG I didn't mean to cause you so much grief for was intended as a light comment on the particularities of some long standing regulars... Your named just poped up first becuse you had already posted earlier - could have been Sig just as easy - I thought by including myself as well the logic was clear.

edit: I took out that lat part of my comment at #12 - I suppose the question really should have been posed separately.
    Last edited by conon394; April 03, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

ok make a thread to debate the shroud of turin thanks guys.

i have edited the guide again, let me know if it's heading in the right track, or if there is more that should be done or other things you'd like to add.

as i have said, its an evolving process and i'm aiming for consensus (tough i know!)
    ^This^

I'd hate to start deleting posts after this.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

what are peoples opinions on adding a section on primary/eye witness sources?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

That would warrant also a checksum on the psychology of witness accounts, and possibly methodology of Case Studies?

People also needs to learn the basic skill of comparing sources. The level of historical discussion in this forum needs to be heavily improved.

Spartacus the Irish's Avatar Tally Ho!

Perhaps a Sticky stating that 'Greatest' threads are forbidden should be added, similar to the announcement that polls are no longer permitted. There have been several cropping up recently, the latest being 'What was the British Empire's Greatest Victory?' or something to that effect, closed immediately by pannonian.
    Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    how do you suggest a battleship fire directly at tanks...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus the Irish View Post
    I don't suggest it. Battleships were, believe it or not, not anti-tank weapons.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I agree, getting rid of threads like "who was the greatest general" and "who is better: rome or sparta" threads should be removed.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I agree, getting rid of threads like "who was the greatest general" and "who is better: rome or sparta" threads should be removed
    I'm not sure I would agree - given reasonable parameters and a detailed question and if a similar thread is not recent I see no particular problem. Books don't get written endlessly about Hannibal and Alexander decade after decade for no reason after all. Worst case nobody replies and if the thread devolves into simplicity it can be closed. I would like to see a better rational for why no 'great' threads should be allowed. To repeat books by real historians about lists of great battles, great leaders and great events are legion.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If you require that they back up their opinions with sources than yes, i agree with you conon

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Is using Osprey Publishing Books considered a good resource or it falls in the category "beware off"? i ask, as I find those books quite good and they often consist healthy ammount of quotes and their bibliography is easy to check... also, some of the stuff marked as sources are accessible via free e-books...

Just wanted to know, before I write anything depending heavily on them...

MM

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    Is using Osprey Publishing Books considered a good resource or it falls in the category "beware off"? i ask, as I find those books quite good and they often consist healthy ammount of quotes and their bibliography is easy to check... also, some of the stuff marked as sources are accessible via free e-books...

Just wanted to know, before I write anything depending heavily on them...

MM
    I only have two of them, but I have wondered the same before. Thus I'd also appreciate an answer on this
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

From what I could understand a lot of people dismiss Osprey books as made for uneducated amateur. I obtained three of them on subject I am already familiar on. Respectively the Macedonian Hellenistic army, the French army during the hundred years war and the medieval Burgundian army. I have yet to read attentively the two later but from a quick look at gave at them and the complete reading of the first one I can say the books are nice and could be used as sources imo. They are not perfect of course. As they are short. All the books I tried were of the serie "Man at Arms" and so focused on the description of the combatant so they did not expanded much on the events. Because of this they contained simplifications, misleading informations or miss important parts. So they might be insufficient to offer a solid vision of the period and the context. That's at least the case the this specific serie. On the other hand I have found a few informations I never heard of before in theses books even if I was already informed on the subject.

I would conclude that the "Man at Arm" serie is a decent alternative for an introduction to a subject and a smart choice if you interested in the description of specific armies/warriors. Obviously, it is better support it with other sources but I found the pure description of equipment and to some regard tactics as honourable. For sure I have read books by more renowned authors worst.

Always maintain good relation with an opposition in a historical debate,this is my new advice for newcomers .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

This looks like the closest thing to a chat thread, and its not important enough to warrant its own thread.
    How do I find CIL (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum) images/inscriptions? I'm trying to find CIL 4.3884, cf. 7995 but I don't have a clue how to find them.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; March 10, 2018 at 07:36 AM.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

Unfortunately, Gnomon Online (the tool for searching Latin inscriptions in the Internet) seems not to be working, so your only option is to find the Corpus in the library of the University of Melbourne. Once you find the collection's code, just look at the fourth volume (dedicated to Pompeii) for the inscriptions no. 3884 and 7995. Greek inscriptions are much easier to be found with epigraphy.packhum, although only the ancient text is provided, without any commentary. In case it helps, here are some bibliographic notes about your inscription. "S." is an abbreviation for seite (page in German). ZPE stands for Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik, an academic journal specializing in papyrology and epigraphy. Anm. is the abbreviated form of Anmerkung, which should probably (not sure) in this context as footnote. I can't use the search engine of the University of Melbourne, because it requires subscription. If you are not a student there, you can probably use the computers inside their libraries, which could grant full access, without any registration being necessary.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Well... that's way more hard than I was expecting. I was hoping there'd be some central online database like Perseus or Lacus Curtius. I was just looking for an image of street advertisement which was used to hype people up about gladiatorial games for a Helios article.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123