Thread: How to make a minor faction playable in custom battles?

Icon14 How to make a minor faction playable in custom battles?

Haven't seen this before on the forums, and randomly came across, while doing some modding...

So, if you want to play custom battles with your minor nation, here is what you need to do:

1.Open patch.pack using Pack File Manager v1.1.
    2.Go to the db-->faction_tables-->factions
    3.Scroll down to the faction you want to play
    4.Under the "Type" Section, change it from whatever it is, to "Playable"
    5.Change the values for Early/Late Availiability to "True"
    6.Save.
    7.Play.

Freedom or Death!!!

Default Re: How to make a minor faction playable in custom battles?

This was pretty obvious, but thanks for the info anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    This was pretty obvious, but thanks for the info anyway.
    Yeah, it is))
    But that's for the noobs like me)))
    Freedom or Death!!!

Don't worry, I also like to write down obvious things for myself, simply because a week later they may not be obvious. And since I write it down for myself, why not post it for the benefit of others? And that's why I give you +rep and add this thread to the stickied index.

Roderna's Avatar Libertus

Seems,if don't modify patch.pack,it won't work....
    means...can't do a mod for this without touching the original game file...
    Last edited by Roderna; April 01, 2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: add attach

There is a mod that does with out using the patch.pack.

You don't need to change the type to playable, you just need to make sure that they are avaible in early and late play.

The real challege is creating new factions, figure that one out and I might give you a cookie, you can check my post about here for a headstart, I am pretty sure I have most of the files, still looking though.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245231
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260572

Game Scripter @ Reverie World Studios

Roderna's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by harshman_chris View Post
    There is a mod that does with out using the patch.pack.

You don't need to change the type to playable, you just need to make sure that they are avaible in early and late play.

The real challege is creating new factions, figure that one out and I might give you a cookie, you can check my post about here for a headstart, I am pretty sure I have most of the files, still looking though.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245231

I have tried to attach a mod file but got no effect in game~~
    Also,the menu seem too long to display some faction if unlock all minor~~
    Last edited by Roderna; April 01, 2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roderna View Post
    I have tried to attach a mod file but got no effect in game~~
    Also,the menu seem too long to display some faction if unlock all minor~~
    You can only use up to 19 factions at any one time!, if you wish PM me with which factions you want and i will make file for you!
    Or do it yourself in db\faction_tables\factions and choose 19 factions and make early / late availabilty "True" remember to make backup patch.pack file
    thats it enjoy!

for custom battles it is not nessesary to change to playable faction. you just need to set early and late availibilty to true.

It is also not nessesary to change the patch.pack. make a new pack, that includes the faction file, but ake care that you have it in the right folder. In case of factions you need it below db/faction tables.

the easiest way is to use LtChambers Pack File Manager, open the patch.pack and to be secure, directly save it under a new name. than go on and delete all other files in the pack, except the faction tables. now make your changes and set package to mod, than save.

Now you have a mod, than can be activated via user.scripe or ModManager.

This can be used for single player custom battles. If you like to go multiplayer, it will not run as you get message, that your version is not compatible.

For Mp you need to set the pack-file to patch (status not name) and make sure it is loaded at the right time, which is also not too complicated, but be aware that some might think you changed more than the factions to play and suggest you would cheat.
    Last edited by Bladerunner; April 02, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Bladerunner
    Koeniglich Preussische Marine
    Sealords Virtual Fleets

Sealords Minimod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274322
    Sealords Total War Mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246265

I'm having a hard time with it ....I want to enable the Native Indians starting with Cherokee ; Bad luck ;
    What did I miss ?

My goal is to load The Lakota mod in the Empire ;
    I have edited the Pack file and turned the Cherokee to Playable ; just to have an idea ...
    could you help ?

So basically u don't have units to choose from in both the late and early periods?
    Freedom or Death!!!

That's right ; I don't know how this guy did it :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=234011&page=8 (post by Being Ernest)
    file is "mod_unlockbattlefactions.zip"

But it actually works ; This little pack mod enables the Indian factions in Quick battles !!!
    I am still trying to understand how to Write a Pack not just importing files ; I still don't get how the Script are written
    n a t i v e _ a m e r i c a n _ a r c h e r s B o w m e n i n f a n t r y i n f a n t r y _ s k i r m i s h e r s r Ò Œ i n f a n t r y _ b o w m e n ! N a t i v e _ A m e r i c a n _ A r c h e r s _ i c o n _ i n f b N a t i v e _ A m e r i c a n _ A r c h e r s _ b o w n a t i v e _ a m e r i c a n _ a r c h e r s a m e r i c a s m p _ i n f a n t r y ! n a t i v e _ a m e r i c a n _ a r c h e r s _ a u x i l i a r y N a t i v e B o w m e n A u x i l i a r y i n f a n t r y i n f a n t r y _ s k i r m i s h e r s r | – i n f a n t r y _ b o w m e n # N a t i v e _ A m e r i c a n _ M u s k e t e e r _ i c o n _ i n f b # N a t i v e _ A m e r i c a n _ M u s k e t e e r _ i n f o _ i n f b ! n a t i v e _ a m e r i c a n _ a r c h e r s _ a u x i l i a r y a m e r i c
    kind of weird I dont see any numbers !? nor Playable -Unplayable
    Last edited by kungfuserge; April 03, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuserge View Post
    That's right ; I don't know how this guy did it :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=234011&page=8 (post by Being Ernest)
    file is "mod_unlockbattlefactions.zip"

But it actually works ; This little pack mod enables the Indian factions in Quick battles !!!
    I am still trying to understand how to Write a Pack not just importing files ; I still don't get how the Script are written kind of weird I dont see any numbers !? nor Playable -Unplayable
    Ok...
    I think i have found a way to make em playable:
    Try this, and let me know if it worked:
    1.Open with PackManager 1.1 the patch.pack
    2.Go to [+]db-->unit_tables-->units
    3.There will be a list of all the units.
    4.Now for every native_american unit, change the values for "early_availiability" & "late_availiability" to True.
    That's it!)
    Hope it works!.
    Freedom or Death!!!

Actualy this file works , so you can use Any Faction in Quick battle ; but remember that you are allowed only to 16 (if I remember well ) so if you enable All , You shouldn't see USA at the end of the list .... so in order to see it ; (again) you should put some factions back to Unplayable : Your choice

anyone know what means non-expansionist for the game ?

How do you unlock a faction (not the emergable ones) on the Grand Campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by jebusrocks View Post
    How do you unlock a faction (not the emergable ones) on the Grand Campaign?
    The basic process is the same for emergent and non-emergent minor factions, it's just less involved for the latter. Follow the emergent tutorial until it starts talking about adding additional regions. It'll be pretty clear where to stop. Alternatively, you can just download the startpos that's been posted in the Released Mods section. It also has the Fog of War removed.

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Did something change with the 1.2 patch?
    I am quite sure I used to be able to enable factions for just one era, but now they always show up in early+late as soon as one of the values is set to True. This even happens for the default factions: the US is always available in Early... before it was only in Late.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down