Thread: Time Travel

has anyone heard of the timetraveler convention that mit is hosting i think that is a wonderful idea. Who knows perhaps it will work and we will get some look into our future.

Could you explain to the rest of us. I only go to Star Trek and comic book conventions...

I think, personally, that time-travel is dangerous and could really :wub:up a lot of things.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

I think I'll dress up like a ridiculous pimp and attend and say from the distant planet of "Pimparous"... and have heeded the call for time travel.

Seriously though, that does seem interesting. It might work, who can tell.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Are you sure they're being truly serious with this? Every word in that text looks as though it's been styled to sound like a joke.

maybee its a science experiment to see how many stupid gullible people will show up?

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I think this has/will/is already/soon happens/happened/happen and it is/was/will be a very nice meeting. I would like to hear from anyone who has been/ will be/is there.

I think this has/will/is already/soon happens/happened/happen and it is/was/will be a very nice meeting. I would like to hear from anyone who has been/ will be/is there.
    :w00t :lol :lol :lol

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by hannibal89@May 5 2005, 05:52 AM

:w00t :lol :lol :lol
    Thats so great lol

I'm from the present, and I'd like to attend, but I can't!

No worries! If time travel is invented in your lifetime, you can always come later. Even if it isn't, we'll have pictures and video up at this site within a week after the Convention.
    Wow....I bet its the same people that are camping out to see SW III lol.
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Unfortunatly time travel is impossible

And besides, if there will be time travel in the future, then how come future peoples havent come yet

It was very enjoyable, although I'd have preferred a year 2079 vintage port as opposed to the year 2387 champagne they served, and the live concert by Elvis didn't compare to his recordings.
    Under the patronage of Wilpuri;
    Despotic master of ZaPPPa and Rowan11088.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I know/knew/will have known that his majesty is/was/will have been alive!

Originally posted by Bruticus the Steadfast@May 5 2005, 01:01 AM
    Wow....I bet its the same people that are camping out to see SW III lol.
    Otherwise known as MIT students... :whistle

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This thing is obviously a joke to see how many stupid people they can get in a single place at a single time to set a world record! Time travel is impossible. There are many scientific and logic arguements against it that I can think of on top of my head.

Good lord.....

But, while watching one of the Back To The Future movies, I did once ponder about time travel. I think if you could go back in time to a year that you have existed and stay there, you'll never die. Your life will just keep recycling.

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

but the simple fact is, that if time travel is ever invented, why havnt future peoples been here? or perhaps they have, and just not said it...perhaps they have some sort of super computer in the future that says "if you go back in time and convice mr x to assasnate mr y, the country x will invade country y therefore the world will not blow up" or something like that.
    for all we know, this could be the case.
    but then there are other arguements such as what would happen if we went back in time further than the first single cell bacteria. bacteria off our body would remain there, and completely change the face of the planet. or perhaps life is a continuous loop, maybe the first bacteria always exists, but it travels through time, and......oh screw this, my head hurts.
    goodnight.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

This would have been a great April Fool's Joke.

We have no idea what the nature of time travel will be like. According to the rules used by Back to the Future, Terminator, and Black Adder Back and Forth, interfering with historical events can have profound effects on the future. For example, Marty McFly bumping into his Mom almost wiped out his existence. And Black Adder accidentally crushing the Duke of Wellington enabled the French to conquer Britain.

The rules followed in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure combine aspects of the rules stated above, but also state that meddling in the past may not affect the future. They abducted Socrates, Billy the Kid, Napoleon, Beethoven, Sigmund Freud, Abe Lincoln, and Genghis Khan without causing profound changes in the present. But if they traveled back in time to hide a set of keys, they would suddenly be hidden in the present. And Rufus was sent back in time so that Bill and Ted wouldn't be separated.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Originally posted by Emperor Dimitricus@May 6 2005, 04:23 PM
    but the simple fact is, that if time travel is ever invented, why havnt future peoples been here? or perhaps they have, and just not said it...perhaps they have some sort of super computer in the future that says "if you go back in time and convice mr x to assasnate mr y, the country x will invade country y therefore the world will not blow up" or something like that.
    for all we know, this could be the case.
    but then there are other arguements such as what would happen if we went back in time further than the first single cell bacteria. bacteria off our body would remain there, and completely change the face of the planet. or perhaps life is a continuous loop, maybe the first bacteria always exists, but it travels through time, and......oh screw this, my head hurts.
    goodnight.
    Or maybe they are invisible, and they are responsible for all the UFO and Apparitions! I am sure this is the truth! :shocked

In fact maybe that is what the predator was, some guy from the future who accidently showed himself and had to kill them all so they would not find out the horrible truth!