Thread: about ExRM units

Default about ExRM units

hi i am new to this awesome game, i just downloaded ExRM and i realise all the units are completely changed... mostly... to make it realistic...

so i was playing as romans in custom battle and i realise i dun have urban cohort/praetorian/legionary cohorts....

i only have early first legionary and early legionary with hastati principle and trariis...

is this normal ? or must i wait till after the marian reforms to get back the urban praetorian and legionary cohorts?

Default Re: about ExRM units

You get the legionaries at the same time with Hastati etc. and thatīs before Marian Reform happens? That shouldnīt be the case, actually.

Praetorians and other impirial units do not belong to the timeframe covered by ExRM afaik.

hmm so if i dun get legionaries means somethings wrong?

btw whats afaik?

i only got early legionaries ...

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

The RTR FAQ explains some of the missing units, which didn't exist in RL in the form that they do in RTW. There used to be a set of late republican units, but since they appear so late in the game, and other factions needed some beefing up in terms of rosters, they were taken out in order to free up space in the descr_model_battle.txt file, which only has a limited number of unit slots.

AFAIK = as far as i know.

You should get early legionaries, but only after the Marian Reform, not at the same time with early republican troops like hastati, princeps and triarii.

So, before reform: the standard troops and after it: the early legionaries instead.

Pannonian editionally explained the reasons, why the late legionaries ( the impirial ones ) were taken out from the gameplay point of view.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Hi Crenzy! I'm glad you're enjoying this. There's not really much I can add to the answers you've already received. That's precisely why we've done what we've done.

I recommend reading the guide to playing as Rome included in the Docs section of the ExRM directory. It has some good historical information.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

oh... so no legionaries praetorian and urban cohorts for me :X

the armor looks dull for the roman legionaries... is it my com ? or is it supposed to be like that? cause my graphics settings are on low... my com lags even with 2k people :X

the spartans were nerfed so much in this game too... and they didn't have a sword to fight in close quarters combat ? or must i do something to make them use their swords?

oh and i realise battles last very long in ExRM, i see the units become walking dead ^^, hack down and resurrected... i guess its the roman spirit lolx

bwt, just a question about EDU, the last 2 parameter for the pri attack is delay (measured in 1/10 of a second) and lethality rate right? so can i set the greek spartans having 0 delay and 0.4 lethality for their secondary swords like their primary spears of 0 delay and 0.4 lethality rate? will there be any clash or bugs or ..?

oh sry, i have a doubt too, i used the no nonsense 3.4 installer and had a shortcut created on the desktop, but for some reasons , the next day, the short cut went missing...

i checked the forums it says must add a -nm -show ... thingy to your target line, but i was wondering which target line? the rtw original, or the rtw BI?

so i added to both and when i go into the game , the background of the game is now back to the norm, with moving animations of soldiers instead of the beautiful non moving scenery the first shortcut gave me

also, now when i quit game, it will say some roman legionary ID problem not detected or sorts ?
    it doens't really affect anything i know at the moment, but was wondering if it will screw my campaign up later on ? thx
    Last edited by Quinn Inuit; April 02, 2009 at 07:07 AM.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

{Merged double post.}

Quote Originally Posted by crenzy View Post
    oh... so no legionaries praetorian and urban cohorts for me :X
    Sorry, those didn't exist in our time frame.

the armor looks dull for the roman legionaries... is it my com ? or is it supposed to be like that? cause my graphics settings are on low... my com lags even with 2k people :X
    Not sure...all I can say is that we've tried to be as realistic as possible with the armour, although low graphics settings aren't going to help. The skins are fairly detailed for those guys.

the spartans were nerfed so much in this game too... and they didn't have a sword to fight in close quarters combat ? or must i do something to make them use their swords?
    Don't. Trust me. You see, in the original they had phalanx, but that's not really how they fought. They fought in a Greek phalanx, not a Macedonian one, and that's better represented by a tight formation. Due to a game bug, secondary weapons will screw things up royally if you give them to non-phalanx units. I'd love to give them swords, but it would ruin the unit's effectiveness.

oh and i realise battles last very long in ExRM, i see the units become walking dead ^^, hack down and resurrected... i guess its the roman spirit lolx
    That's part of the game plan. Ancient battles took several hours. Ours are hopefully a happy medium.

As for the dudes getting back up, it just means they took a hit on the armour and got knocked over.

bwt, just a question about EDU, the last 2 parameter for the pri attack is delay (measured in 1/10 of a second) and lethality rate right? so can i set the greek spartans having 0 delay and 0.4 lethality for their secondary swords like their primary spears of 0 delay and 0.4 lethality rate? will there be any clash or bugs or ..?
    Not sure. I haven't messed with those parameters.

oh sry, i have a doubt too, i used the no nonsense 3.4 installer and had a shortcut created on the desktop, but for some reasons , the next day, the short cut went missing...

i checked the forums it says must add a -nm -show ... thingy to your target line, but i was wondering which target line? the rtw original, or the rtw BI?

so i added to both and when i go into the game , the background of the game is now back to the norm, with moving animations of soldiers instead of the beautiful non moving scenery the first shortcut gave me

also, now when i quit game, it will say some roman legionary ID problem not detected or sorts ?
    it doens't really affect anything i know at the moment, but was wondering if it will screw my campaign up later on ? thx
    You'll want to recreate the shortcut based on the BI.exe. I recommend following the instructions in the installation post.

I wonder what happened to your shortcut? They don't usually disappear on their own.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

ok thx a lot !

sry another question , why are there so many shrines in the game when i play as greece? do they all stack ? i realise all their effects add to happiness... 5%...
    do the later more advance shrines/temples give different effects? or are they all the same and they stack? or dun stack?

Nope, only the main temple gives effect on the settlement and the generals placed there. The minor temples give happiness bonus and priests to the generals ( you need the second tier of each ).

oh ic thx