Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with jaeger-turtlers?

Icon5 How do you deal with jaeger-turtlers?

2vs2 game mode

Enemy:

sitts on hill, build with jaegers around the hill fences. dont move

more jaegers than line inf.

2* arty

You:

1 canon, 6*cav, 6*line, rest jaegers, grenadiers, 1*garde

How do you deal with them?

I played it and feel that my cav was useless.

My cannon hits nothing. especially the enemi canons was a little bit below so my bullets didnt hit them.

i move my infs to him, and my grenies does a good job- but his arty and lots of jaegers destroyed me.

i was angry that:

*u cannot shot with canon and destroy the wodden fences
    *when i saw a hole in the defence i charged in and *wusch wusch wusch invisible soldiers are there *argh
    *u have not the ability to see the invisible units. only when its too late. a spy would be nice..
    Last edited by ramses12; March 30, 2009 at 07:13 AM.

Default Re: How do you deal with jaeger-turtlers?

Quote Originally Posted by ramses12 View Post
    2vs2 game mode
    You:

1 canon, 6*cav, 6*line, rest jaegers, grenadiers, 1*garde
    That's your problem right there. I really never take more than 4 Cav max, and normally two of those "cavs" are actually dragoons. You could swap out two of those cavalry for some howitzers, which would help with the turtleing problem. Or go for more line infantry and just outshoot him. Yes, Jaegers have longer range but you can normally just run your troops up through that distance and fire. Jaegers are light infantry so they don't fare too well going toe-to-toe with regular line infantry.

If he really is turtled within a circle of stakes (the "wooden fences" you're talking about?) Then you'll be able to bring more of your firepower to bear on any one exposed portion of his circled troops. He'll either have to just eat those losses or spread out his line, which will most likely take him outside of his stake circle, allowing your cav to take him out.

Also, keep in mind that all arty can attack a specific point on the ground. If your enemy is hiding but you KNOW they're there, just tell your arty to attack that spot. This also helps with adjusting arty fire. If your cannon are shoting too low, tell them to aim a bit behind your target.

As for invisible units, you just always have to keep that in mind and watch ANY units that you send charging in. Often you have enough time to stop or redirect a charge that runs into hidden units. If you see a "hole" in his lines, assume there are enemy hidden there and act accordingly.
    Last edited by LogisticEarth; March 30, 2009 at 09:44 AM.

Having a "light infantry circle" is one of the worse tactics out there. It means he cant move his men so just being some line infantry against one of the flanks anf shoot him. just be patient and keep attacking from one side until he has to move more men onto that side.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Bayonet charge

Bayonett Charge is most time the bades way. For Example, yesterday a player charged with blackwatch and cold stream guards at my normal line infantery, many men of the elite units died before they even arrived my regular line infantery soldiers, and then outnumberd the line infantery owend their enemys.

The only good artillerys are Mortar and Howitzer if you use their explosion shells, both can fire above hills and are good for hill attacking too, iberer cannons are crap, their ammo doesnt hit much...
    Have a look on my page if you want to see some TW videos or about other stuff

Online names: BelisarAUT & AustrianGeneral & aust_g (Steam account)

Austrian/Byzantine/Greek player

guerra's Avatar Biarchus

Move your cavalry to flank him. It'll divert some of his troops to face the cavalry. Then hold the cavalry out of range and attack with line infantry. Push them out of their box and let the cavalry chase down anyone who scatters outside the stakes.

Also, there is always a gap in stakes which you can charge into and get them moving while you crush them with line infantry.

yes when that happens it is a game of who has the most patience until it ends in a draw. if u attack u will take heavy heavy losses, even if you do win.

i) don't take so many cav. Specially not on a map where you know there's a hill someone can camp on.

ii) Flank with cav to spread them thin.

iii) Spread your own light inf into light inf mode, and move them forward ahead of the bulk of your army. These guys will absorb the rifle shots.

iii) Once first shots are off get your line uphill fast and engage the Jaegars in hand to hand. If you do it right, you should arrive before next volley.

iv) While the Jaegars run around like headless chickens, move cavalry in through gaps in stakes. Surround and squish.

Sure people that hill camp have the advantages of height, defensive positions, and concentration of force... but YOU have the advantage of having all your enemy in one spot.

The alternative as someone has mentioned is a couple of extra Howitzers. Keep them spread apart from one another, and make the enemy pay for sticking all their men in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianGeneral View Post
    Bayonett Charge is most time the bades way. For Example, yesterday a player charged with blackwatch and cold stream guards at my normal line infantery, many men of the elite units died before they even arrived my regular line infantery soldiers, and then outnumberd the line infantery owend their enemys.

The only good artillerys are Mortar and Howitzer if you use their explosion shells, both can fire above hills and are good for hill attacking too, iberer cannons are crap, their ammo doesnt hit much...
    .... Read the thread, alright? He's talking about light infantry, not line infantry.

Gaurds are freaking incredible, i have stopped using them mostly because they can own preety much anything. Light infantry against gaurds or line imfantry will always go downhill for the line infantry the moment they get into combat. I remember one momenr when i had a unit of Colstream gaurds surrounded by 3 riflemen and they still win in melee.
    Spread out his cav
    Use light infantry to soak his fire
    Charge with line
    Engage his cav so he can't use them
    Charge with light infantry
    WIN
    If you've transcended your facticity, congratulations. You're 3 transcendences from HoS.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=11049066

Quote Originally Posted by Arej View Post
    .... Read the thread, alright? He's talking about light infantry, not line infantry.
    I think (and his spelling didn't help here) he was just trying to emphasise the greater risk constituted by charging against defending infantry due to the casualties that will be taken in the charge, wherein basic line infantry can then defeat elite line infantry in melee. Thus bayonet charges are, according to AG, one of the worst ways ("bades way") to deal with this situation.

However, most of us seem to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Karhedron View Post
    I think (and his spelling didn't help here) he was just trying to emphasise the greater risk constituted by charging against defending infantry due to the casualties that will be taken in the charge, wherein basic line infantry can then defeat elite line infantry in melee. Thus bayonet charges are, according to AG, one of the worst ways ("bades way") to deal with this situation.

However, most of us seem to disagree.
    Yes... as Jägers suck in melee and line infantry does not. And you WILL very likely lose a shooting match. Therefore, the best tactic is to (as said before) send one regiment there to be shot at. Okay, you'll lose that one. But then they'll reload and will continue to get completely owned in melee by your following regiments.

Or alternatively.. if you have, say, 4 light infantry regiments, you can send them in first to battle about 5-6 of his (he can't fit more to the area.. unless he has men behind his first line) or perhaps more - doesn't really matter - and just let your light infantry absorb the bullets and do some damage themselves. Best case scenario - your better quality light infantry is actually WINNING the firefight. Worst case.. they've absorbed the bullets and dealt some damage themselves while your army rushes in to melee them, safe from bullets.

All the while you have cavalry waiting to rush any light infantry that tries to come help his light infantry that you decided to attack with yours.

Put your cavalry on the opposite side of where you plan to attack with infantry, this will divert some of his troops. Then place most of your firepower on one side. You should be able to win the battle then by just simply place all your firepower on the same side. And use cavalry to kill any riflemen going outside the circle.

If he does not move outside. Wait untill you have killed enough of his troops and then bayonet charge while his men are reloading

Quote Originally Posted by LogisticEarth View Post
    That's your problem right there. I really never take more than 4 Cav max, and normally two of those "cavs" are actually dragoons. You could swap out two of those cavalry for some howitzers, which would help with the turtleing problem. Or go for more line infantry and just outshoot him. Yes, Jaegers have longer range but you can normally just run your troops up through that distance and fire. Jaegers are light infantry so they don't fare too well going toe-to-toe with regular line infantry.

If he really is turtled within a circle of stakes (the "wooden fences" you're talking about?) Then you'll be able to bring more of your firepower to bear on any one exposed portion of his circled troops. He'll either have to just eat those losses or spread out his line, which will most likely take him outside of his stake circle, allowing your cav to take him out.

Also, keep in mind that all arty can attack a specific point on the ground. If your enemy is hiding but you KNOW they're there, just tell your arty to attack that spot. This also helps with adjusting arty fire. If your cannon are shoting too low, tell them to aim a bit behind your target.

As for invisible units, you just always have to keep that in mind and watch ANY units that you send charging in. Often you have enough time to stop or redirect a charge that runs into hidden units. If you see a "hole" in his lines, assume there are enemy hidden there and act accordingly.
    There is a way to make stakes useless against cavalry. I don't want to say since its my secret. But for me stakes don't do anything against my cavalry anymore.

Yeah, there's also a way to make stakes fly and kill any cavalry on the map instantly. I don't want to reveal it, though, because it's my secret. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexSpartan View Post
    There is a way to make stakes useless against cavalry. I don't want to say since its my secret. But for me stakes don't do anything against my cavalry anymore.
    Why would you use an exploit like that online? Much rather report it so that it can be fixed and we can have a bugfree MP, where only skill and not knowledge of exploits wins the battles

Quote Originally Posted by Arej View Post
    Again i have to say you should read exactly and all. I mentioned the line infantery thing because the guy above me said that you should made a bayonett charge against such light infantery spams.
    Have a look on my page if you want to see some TW videos or about other stuff

Online names: BelisarAUT & AustrianGeneral & aust_g (Steam account)

Austrian/Byzantine/Greek player

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianGeneral View Post
    Again i have to say you should read exactly and all. I mentioned the line infantery thing because the guy above me said that you should made a bayonett charge against such light infantery spams.
    Again you should read and all. Light infantry is not line infantry.

Bayonet charge is the most obvious solution to this problem. I played a guy today who decided to spam Grenzers. sure, he shot my guys up a good bit for the first part of the battle, but the tides turned when I charged every single one of my units into his. His Grenzers got slaughtered by may Guards and Liune inf in CC.

Yeah.. if you've got line inf against Grenzers.. CHARGE IMMEDIATELY. If you stop to shoot even once, your line infantry will _not_ reach the Grenzers before routing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast