Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Yea or nea, and why.

I personally have no opinion as of yet.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No, becuse the doomed could be inisint.
    Yes, becuse if he did it, he shouldnt live(dont care if they change)

Soo i think the no is my answer. Becuse noone should be doomed inisint. I mayby will give this more thought later....
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Yes, death penalties for all that commit crimes! this way crime rates go to 10-0% (always gonna have the mentaly insane) (this isnt sarcasm)
    <span style='color:green'>C</span><span style='color:gray'>o</span><span style='color:red'>s</span><span style='color:green'>a</span> <span style='color:gray'>N</span><span style='color:red'>o</span><span style='color:green'>s</span><span style='color:gray'>t</span><span style='color:red'>r</span><span style='color:green'>a</span> <span style='color:gray'>T</span><span style='color:red'>i</span><span style='color:green'>l</span><span style='color:gray'>l</span> <span style='color:red'>I</span> <span style='color:green'>D</span><span style='color:gray'>i</span><span style='color:red'>e</span>

<span style='color:green'>The</span> <span style='color:gray'>Sicilian</span> <span style='color:red'>Warrior</span>

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Yes, for henious crimes.

Why keep people alive if they have shown themselves to be destructive to those around them?

I think criminals shoud have plenty of time to appeal and what not to reduce the number of "mistakes".

Cliomhdubh's Avatar Campidoctor

ive argued this topic too many times on forums so i will only say i am against the death penalty because
    1: it is murder in any case wether state sanctioned or not, two wrongs dont make a right
    2: death penalty is too humane for murders i would much rather see them rot in prison
    3: if i ever would agree with the death penalty i would only agree with it in the case of psychopaths ie someone who is unable to ever feel remorse of guilt
    4: innocent people may be executed life can never be returned or as tolkien put it " there are many who live who deserve death, there are many who have died who deserve life , can you give it to them?"

5 alot of people say &#39;but the costs&#39; well personally i cant put a price on a human life deserving or not but is my opinion that the prison systems and the costs are our own faults prisoners should be given hard labour and earn their keep , prisons should not be hotels they should be more like hell.

From the great Gales of Ireland
    Are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry,
    And all their songs are sad.
    G. K. Chesterton

Nihil's Avatar Annihilationist

I&#39;m against it. It&#39;s not acceptable for even one innocent person to die unjustly, and that&#39;s what inevitably happens when you have capital punishment. That alone is reason enough to reject it.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Acting Paterfamilias of House Rububula
    Former Patron of the retired Atheist Peace
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina

Foederatus

recently there was an pro-life, pro-choice topic made-it would be interesting to compare people&#39;s responses on death penatly and life-but because that topic divulged into questions that cannot be concretely answered, and i imagine this one will too, im not going to get involved

"Chess is life;-Robert Fischer

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

Wishy-Washyness has no place in real-life politics and policy. Especially important things. Criminals who do bad things are placed in prison to be removed from society. At the very least, we should use them for slave labor while their sentance is being served.
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That&#39;s like a crack-head asking for &#036;5 on Credit.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Originally posted by Cliomhdubh@May 3 2005, 02:43 PM
    ive argued this topic too many times on forums so i will only say i am against the death penalty because
    1: it is murder in any case wether state sanctioned or not, two wrongs dont make a right
    2: death penalty is too humane for murders i would much rather see them rot in prison
    3: if i ever would agree with the death penalty i would only agree with it in the case of psychopaths ie someone who is unable to ever feel remorse of guilt
    4: innocent people may be executed life can never be returned or as tolkien put it " there are many who live who deserve death, there are many who have died who deserve life , can you give it to them?"

5 alot of people say &#39;but the costs&#39; well personally i cant put a price on a human life deserving or not but is my opinion that the prison systems and the costs are our own faults prisoners should be given hard labour and earn their keep , prisons should not be hotels they should be more like hell.
    Ok this guy i totally agree with. I think this is what i would come up with if i sat down thinking on it. ANd now i dont have to. :grin
    Ohh god im lazy *tongue*
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

My feelings on the death penalty? Sure, as long as prisons are like they are (cable TV, etc). As a matter of fact, add sex offenders who prey on children to the list for execution.

Now...If prison was made the way it SHOULD be (Im thinking hard labor instead of being able to just lift weights and wander about in a fenced in yard for the "outside" time, no frickin TVs, nothing like that, just a damn bed (and theyre lucky they get a bed...I actually think a couple blankets thrown on the floor would be better, but too many...people...would cry about abuse), toilet, and sink...you get a book for your daily entertainment) then Im all for life in prison over the death penalty.

As long as prisons continue to treat their inmates in these idiotic, "nice" ways....well....they can fry.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

i dont care about the death penalty.
    hell, they&#39;re criminals. kill &#39;em all. rid our society once and for all of these worthless losers called "inmates"

To be honest killing someone as a part of penalty is only making his misery end.This is hardly a pay for his/her deeds.Let him/her live and pay the community by hard labor for example.
    Anyway i am agaisnt the death penalty and not only for the above reason.It has happened several times the convicted and executed to be proved innocent post-mortem.Even if this was the only reason it whould be enought to make me think agaisnt death penalty.

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Originally posted by Gelatinous Cube@May 3 2005, 03:20 PM
    Wishy-Washyness has no place in real-life politics and policy. Especially important things. Criminals who do bad things are placed in prison to be removed from society. At the very least, we should use them for slave labor while their sentance is being served.
    Actually "wishy-washyness" is common place in many areas of politics. Politicians are too afraid of the negative ramifications of something that is too debatable or controversial. Idealists, (un)/fortunately, do not hold as much sway as those in the middle of the line. Furthermore, the better politicians have been the ones who could qualify for this "wishy-washyness" because they can compromise and see both sides of the coin. :grin
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Wicked's Avatar Mike Hunt

Pro-Death Penalty.

As for innocent people dieing...we need a systematic overhaul of our legal system in any case, there ARE ways to lessen the chances, as it is now I see far more people who should be getting the death penalty/life in prison being released or given a slap on the wrist than I see innocent people getting fried by accident.

And personally electrocution/lethal injection should be dropped, a good old fashioned shooting squad does the job just fine, cheaper too.

As for the prison system itself, I agree completely that it needs to be radically changed, although from personal experience I wouldn&#39;t call it a "free ride", more like a nutter preserve and indoctrination system, prison is NOT like the movies, it is some ways better, in others worse, people laying about watching TV all day isn&#39;t something I&#39;ve observed, although that could be true for the so called &#39;resort prisons&#39;, which are a very small minority.

Nor are constant rapes or violent assaults common in all but the worst prisons, more than likely your experience will be sheer mind-numbing boredom and depression, with occasional bouts of senseless brutality, a bit like fighting a war against irregulars, that&#39;s punishment all right, although not constructive in any way, shape, or form, and unless you&#39;ve gotten a life sentence that will actually be enforced, you ARE supposed to return to normal life at some point, which given our prison system pretty much guarantees that you will be worse than when you went in.

One thing I&#39;d like to see with regards to our legal system is removing TV coverage of trials, and greatly reduced media exposure of all sorts before, during, and after a trial, it does nothing but hamper an unbiased trial, not to mention these things really aren&#39;t any of our concern, frankly I don&#39;t give much of a damn about a trial of someone I don&#39;t know halfway across the country, I&#39;m not naive enough to assume that busybodies will be able to resist the urge to follow celebrities or the wealthy in legal troubles, but that crap is better left to the tabloids, it has no place in "respectable news".

Then again...I really don&#39;t see respectable news very often in the first place...a case in point would be now on the TV, Fox, CNN, NBC, etc, at this very moment their all babbling about MJ/BTK/etc...pretty sad that this is the "best" those morons can come up with to cover...

Yippee, mass media, scare the hell outta you, then tell you what to buy to prevent *insert horrible thing here* from happening to you... :rolleyes
    Client of Marshal Qin.

"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
    Bear not my body home,
    For all the earth is Roman earth,
    And I shall die in Rome." - G. K. Chesterton.

Originally posted by Prarara@May 3 2005, 04:56 PM
    Actually "wishy-washyness" is common place in many areas of politics. Politicians are too afraid of the negative ramifications of something that is too debatable or controversial. Idealists, (un)/fortunately, do not hold as much sway as those in the middle of the line. Furthermore, the better politicians have been the ones who could qualify for this "wishy-washyness" because they can compromise and see both sides of the coin. :grin
    Just because it exists does not make it right.

I am an objective person. Before I make an opinion on anything, I look at both sides of the coin. What it comes down to, is that the kind of society I want to live in does not give MORE rights to criminals than to the victims (in some cases), and certianly not a society where criminals sit around, lift weights, and watch cable TV&#33; Being sodomized by the other inmated should be the least of their sufferings.

Now, of course, there has to be a distinction between minor and major crimes, but I think those who commit major crimes should be, more or less, worked to death via slave labor, if not executed out-right. Now, obviously, it&#39;d be a tragedy if an innocent man suffered this fate. So some form of controlled appeals process would have to exist.

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I&#39;m all for the death penalty. If the law states that a certain crime is punishable by death, than prisoners will and should have to abide by that. If you commit the crime, you do the time, or in this case get fried, poisened, suffocated, or hanged still in some places. Is it sad that some people get wrongly put to death, of course it is, but the overwhelming majority of prisoners who actually get sent to death row without a doubt did commit the crimes. I don&#39;t know about you, but if someone murdered my family, children, best friend etc I would want that individual killed on the spot. Personally I think life in prison is worse than the excutions most countries give. Think about spending 50+ years in ONE building.

Sometimes I wish some executions would be publically broadcast. If they captured Bin Laden, I would pay to see him be shot by firing squad.

Originally posted by Wicked_Rhythm@May 3 2005, 06:06 PM
    As for innocent people dieing...we need a systematic overhaul of our legal system in any case, there ARE ways to lessen the chances,
    Let me know when you come up with a &#39;systematic overhaul&#39; to your legal system which will make it 100% foolproof. Many people will be very interested in these amazing reforms and will ponder why no-one thought of them before.

Because, if it isn&#39;t 100% foolproof, innocent people will fry. And I&#39;m guessing you&#39;d be far less blase about that if you were one of those innocent people being dragged screaming to the chair.

as it is now I see far more people who should be getting the death penalty/life in prison being released or given a slap on the wrist than I see innocent people getting fried by accident.
    So that means innocent people dying is okay? Or their deaths are less important than preventing some criminals from getting harsh punishment? And you&#39;d still feel this way if you were about to die for something you didn&#39;t do?

My, there are some bloodthirsty little children on this board. The death penalty is hypocrisy writ large. It doesn&#39;t deter crime. And it kills some innocent people.

Which is why all civilised countries have banned it years ago. Some backwoods nations are still struggling with an issue the rest of us resolved decades ago, however.

Nihil's Avatar Annihilationist

The funniest thing about this thread is that you know who&#39;s going to be pro and against before you even read their posts. Man we are so predictable. It&#39;s a good game - try it yourself. So far I&#39;m 4 out of 4.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Acting Paterfamilias of House Rububula
    Former Patron of the retired Atheist Peace
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina

Originally posted by ThiudareiksGunthigg+May 3 2005, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (ThiudareiksGunthigg @ May 3 2005, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wicked_Rhythm@May 3 2005, 06:06 PM
    As for innocent people dieing...we need a systematic overhaul of our legal system in any case, there ARE ways to lessen the chances,
    Let me know when you come up with a &#39;systematic overhaul&#39; to your legal system which will make it 100% foolproof. Many people will be very interested in these amazing reforms and will ponder why no-one thought of them before.

Because, if it isn&#39;t 100% foolproof, innocent people will fry. And I&#39;m guessing you&#39;d be far less blase about that if you were one of those innocent people being dragged screaming to the chair.

So that means innocent people dying is okay? Or their deaths are less important than preventing some criminals from getting harsh punishment? And you&#39;d still feel this way if you were about to die for something you didn&#39;t do?

My, there are some bloodthirsty little children on this board. The death penalty is hypocrisy writ large. It doesn&#39;t deter crime. And it kills some innocent people.

Which is why all civilised countries have banned it years ago. Some backwoods nations are still struggling with an issue the rest of us resolved decades ago, however. [/b][/quote]
    A whole lotta Rhetoric, with absolutely no convincing argument, nor actual refuting of any pro death-penalty points already made. :8

Sometimes these days, prison life is better than life on the street. I agree with the one who said we should use them as slave labour. I&#39;ll elaborate if needed. But i also beleive the death penalty should be saved for Murderers and Terrorists. Also Serial Rapists.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast