Thread: [ETW AAR] The flight from Serbia

Default [ETW AAR] The flight from Serbia

The story I write about takes place 1737, during the "7th Austro-Turkish War" 1736-39. The Austrians invade Serbia. The campaign gets to a standstill. Field Marshall Khevenhueller is sent to conquer Widin. But on his way he learns that its garrison has been reinforced and decides to retreat back to the Danube. An outnumbering Turkish army hinders him from doing it.

This isn't really an Empire AAR, because I haven't got this game. I invented this story many years ago as I saw an awsome terrain fit for a battle walking over the landscape of Bavaria. I didn't know how I could write the story. I didn't have an event to put it in. Some months ago I read a wikipedia article about the Turkish Wars and I had an idea. Now here it is.
    I know there are some lack of historic accuracy. For example I gave the Austrian regiments numbers. I'm sure the number system still didn't exist by then. But it helps to understand the story better. Also the most of the characters are fictitious, as well as the troop names. Only the background (the war, the campaign, the battle of Radojevatz, the Field Marshall) is really true.

And who knows, maybe this sort of story really happened some day.
    No-Time Toulouse

Default Re: (AAR E:TW) The flight from Serbia

Part One

My name is Pjetr Szansky. I'm a Serbian patriot. Was a partisan. My career was long and eventful. I fought side on side with my countrymen, Austrians und Russians against the damn Turks. Now I'm old and weak and I'm looking back to my youth and the first great battle I had the honour to see. It was September 1737, the second year of the Austrian invasion into Serbia, my beloved motherland. But it wasn't a real invasion any more. The Turks were chasing them out once more, may this heretics burn in the eternal fire of hell! However, even in retreat our Austrian brothers showed a greatness and heroism I have never saw by then.
    I was a 23 years old enthusiastic Serbic aristocrat, ready to fight, but totally inexperienced.
    Field Marshal Khevenhueller was falling back to the Danube and had to pass through my lands. The Turks have won again. I wanted to do something. And there was something to do: An outnumbering Turkish army was blocking Khevenhueller's retreat. The Austrians surely needed a man who knew the terrain. I set off to offer them my service.
    On my way I was surprised: I saw the first Turkish units marching south. I knew they were coming, but I didn't expect them so close! I had to warn the Austrians.
    My horse was one of the best in this region, so it didn't last very long until I saw a whitecoat regiment. They stood at a steep hill, surrounded by forests and many lower hills. On the hill there was a small village. Only five houses. I knew this place very good. One of my servants was from here. And I loved hunting in this woods. On this day, there should be another sort of hunt.
    I approached to the regiment and asked for the commander. Colonel von Biberbach, a tall officer with black hair, was talking to his officers, giving them orders and showing them their positions.
    - "Mylord, I'm Pjetr Szansky, the owner of a nearby residence.", I said to him.
    - "I feel honoured! Your German is good. Oberst von Biberbach, His Majesty's 54th regiment, at your service."
    - "Mylord, I saw the Turkish army not very far from here. They should appear in half an hour."
    - "I'm very thankful, Herr Szansky, but I already know about it. Our intelligence has reported to us. That's the reason why we're forming our regiment."
    - "You want to meet them?" I was surprised for von Biberbach's regiment was the only one I could see here. "But where's the rest of your army? Where's the Field Marshal?"
    - "We are the vanguard, Sir. We and Oberst von Traustein's regiment beyond that small hill over there. The Field Marshal is some miles behind us. This here is a perfect position. We can't leave it to the enemy or we will have to take it once more.
    I see you want to help us, Herr Szansky. We still haven't reported to Field Marshall Khevenhueller. I need every man here. Please report to His Excellency, that he sould hurry. We will be able to hold the hill only for four hours, not more. Wish us luck, Sir."
    I was shocked. Shoked and amazed. They all behaved so calmly knowing that they all could die in only two hours. I mounted my horse and took a last look on this men facing a deadly outnumbering and dreadful enemy with so much pride, not fear. The last I could see was von Biberbach's happy smile as four light cannons arrived.
    - "Captain, place them on top of the hill. With God's help they will send the Turks down to hell!", he ordered.
    West to his regiment, behind the small hill von Biberbach mentioned earlier, I saw the other force: von Traustein's 106th, standing in combat formation, line after line, ready to appear and to surprise the Turks in their right flank.
    I galloped down the road towards von Khevenhueller's army to save their lives.

Part Two

After I've reported to the Field Marshal, he ordered his troops to hurry and offered me to stay with him as the army marches. I agreed. On our way, he told me about Oberst von Biberbach: That facing the enemy wherever he meets him was his style, some stories about earlier wars. Not to forget Khevenhueller's days at court. But in my thoughts I was there, on top of the damn hill, where Austrian men died. The time seemed never to pass. Only three hours, but they felt like a year. Finally, a messenger arrived reporting that General von Freiburg's 8th brigade reached the position, the Turks retreating. Now, nothing could hold me back. I appologized and rode forwards as fast as I could. A victory! The heroic boys from the 54th and 106th have pushed back a Turkish army which was 30 times bigger than theyselves!
    As I rode, I met a small Austrian troop marching towards Khevenhueller. First I didn't recognize them. But as soon as I came closer, I hold in disbelieve and sadness. This small group of some 250 soldiers. This they were. The two brave regiments, once 2000 men strong. They all looked shuddering: Oberst von Biberbach rode a limping horse, his left hand was gone and he had a bloody tie around the right eye.. He was followed by the regiment's banner bearer. The flag's pole was broken in the middle, the flag itself dirty and ripped up. The two other standards were lost. Then the regiment's music corps: A drummer without his drum and a flutist trying to play a tune with his wounded hands. Then the soldiers: a sad, dirty and defeated-looking heap, many of them wounded, leaning on their muskets. I barely could differ officers from common soldiers. The 54th`s 150 men were followed by by the 106th: The colonel’s body on a wagon, a young lieutenant (the only officer I could see), no standards, no musicians. Only exhausted, injured and melancholic soldiers. They all were bloody and downcast. The heroes of the day, but nobody was glad. Instead they were silent and looking on the ground. It was a terrible scene.

Part Three

The small hill, von Traustein’s position, was a frightening place. Dead bodies everywhere. Many whitecoats, some Turkish cavalrists. To judge by how the lied, the Austrians were fleeng towards the main hill, their corpses got less, the Turkish more. Much more.
    But up on the main hill, everything was even worse. Corpses again, and in terrifying numbers. The heretics’ bodies down the hill lied in lines, telling, how deadly and how frequently the Austrian volleys were. The village was burned except for one building. Burned and shot bodies from both sides and a scorched hill top. Three broken cannons and a mount without its barrel.
    A regiment of the 8th brigade was cleaning up. Some soldiers tried to fish three corpses from a little pond.
    I entered the last standing building, once a tavern, now a headquarter. It was full of officers, but it was quiet in there. I saw an older lieutenant sitting in the corner and drinking.
    - “Lieutenant Wilhelmson, 12th Regiment. Sit down, Sir, and drink with me, whoever you are.”, he said as I approached.
    - “Wilhelmson?”, I wondered.
    - “Yes, I know. A strange name for an officer in the Kaiser’s service. I’m Danish. My great-grandfather fought in the Holy Catholic League. My father defended Vienna against the Turks. And I hope my children will see Constantinople.”
    - “What happened here?”
    - “The devil opened his gate under this godforsaken place! Everything went wrong! It’s a victory, but only with God’s urgent help.”, he answered in drunken agony. “Everything happened in the beginning. The 106th was ready to attack the Turks in their flank. Bloody terrain! Forests and hills everywhere. They didn’t see that they were outflanked themselves! Damn cavalry! Von Traustein ordered three companies to cover the regiment’s retreat to the main hill. They all died. The colonel too. The Turks broke through and conquered the standards. Five companies managed to escape to the hill and defended its west side against the cavalry the whole battle long. Again and again. The Turks had to ride up the steep hill, between two dense forests. Meanwhile, the battle on the north side had begins. The Osman infantry starts a front attack. Von Biberbach’s battery just opens fire when the enemy sets up a lousy old 12-pounder. Its first shot hit he battery’s ammunition wagon. It exploded, as well as the cannons’ magazines. Cannon number 3 just had to fire, but was overturned by the blast. The barrel rolled down the hill, towards the barn, where von Biberbach had his hospital. The damn thing broke through the barn’s wall and shot its load. The hay caught fire, many wounded burned.
    Wave by wave, the Turkish infantry came closer. The 54th ammunition ended and the enemy stormed the defense lines. When we came, they were everywhere, slaughtering the wounded and the fleeing. The 106th has lost all the officers except from one very young lieutenant, a duke’s little son. He’s now the regiment’s temporary commander. I think they will disband it. The regiment now barely fits into a company. All colours lost. However, the Turks retreated. They couldn’t take the hill any more, as soon as we arrived. They’re still outnumbering us, so they will seek for another place to fight. Damned should they be!...”

On the next day, the two forces met at Radojevatz. Field Marshal Khevenhueller’s genius helped the Austrians to escape from my country. But we Serbians haven’t give up our hope. We fought on. And we often won. Now, 1790, the Austrians are back. And we have a new ally: the Russians. I’m too old to go to battle. My grandchildren will do it for me. I hope once they will reach Istanbul. And maybe they will meet Lt. Wilhelmson’s descendants there.
    No-Time Toulouse

Default Re: (AAR E:TW) The flight from Serbia

Could help you to understand.
    No-Time Toulouse