Thread: Music Modding, how exactly is this done?

Default Music Modding, how exactly is this done?

I saw a few music and sound mods in the released thread, I've tried using two different methods in doing this with no success:

1) I used the unpacker manager 1.10 thing and replaced some of the western music with my desired music files, when I double clicked the file after it was replaced it played the new music, then I saved it.

After that I went into the events folder where the music file is and edited the names of the files I replaced and then saved it.

Starting the game was fine, but it was still playing the original music not the ones I changed, I did change the frontend music to see for sure if it worked or not instead of needing to start a battle.

2) This time I renamed my music files to the names of the music already played in the game for what I was trying to edit. I then replaced the music files but it had the same name it just came from a different location. Still the game didn't play the new music.

Anyone know how to do this? Sorry if the info I gave was a bit confusing.

Default Re: Music Modding, how exactly is this done?

I'm in the exact same situation. I renamed my original sounds_music.pack to something different for backup purposes, but it still remained in the data folder.I thot somehow the game was still using the files from that, so I moved it to a completely different drive, but STILL the game plays the original music even tho the only file containing the music is on a completely different drive! I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along to help us out.

As the author of a music mod, I have obviously been able to make this work. Looking at how you've done things, I must say I don't see much that would screw things up.
    One thing though. Did you make sure the replaced files are located in the correct directory? It should look something like this, if you've replaced European campaign music:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data/music/campaign/european
    Also, I think mp3 is the only working format, though I haven't tested everything.

edit: Thank you Onkel Tuca, I got it working by making a relavent directory thing.

Raticus if you need help in figuring out how I got it just message me.
    Last edited by Axe Battler; March 29, 2009 at 12:24 PM.

Axe, could you post what you found out so we can share in your wisdom?

I'm having a similar problem at the moment. I edited my sounds_music.pack to replace most of the music with period tracks, and I also replaced the battle music tracks with empty sound files since I prefer no music during battle. This worked fine until a few days ago; I suspect the recent patch messed things up. Now I still hear the period music, both in campaign and deployment, but for some reason, when battle starts, the game plays the old original game music again.

This is especially weird because I replaced the files in the sounds_music.pack with my empty files, using the same file name - where the hell is the game getting that music from?! There are no unpacked files except in a subdirectory I keep my wip files in. I edited the pack directly.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Battler View Post
    edit: Thank you Onkel Tuca, I got it working by making a relavent directory thing.

Raticus if you need help in figuring out how I got it just message me.

There is an inconvenience to the way I figured it out.

Make a new directory, it should be like this...

sounds_music/music/ (here you will see all the different music folders which stores the music).

Better yet, extract the sounds_music.pack with the file unpacker/manager 1.9 thing.

Now you have your directory, rename the music files you wish to put it in and give them the names of the current ones.

For example: If you were to put in yourdesiredsong, you would rename it what the CA music file is, so it would be, MUS051_DEPLOYMENT_Western_ORC

or if you wanted it to be a battle song, rename it MUS061_BATTLE_Western_ORC_[LOOP]

now just because you changed western doesn't mean it will play western when you are being western, because it plays music based on the map!!!! Inconvenient.

You need to change all the culture music, once you rename your desired music file to the CA file, put it in place of the current CA file. Yours should overwrite it but should have the name of the old CA music title/file.

Now once all your music is done, (make sure you do the frontend file which is located in the frontend folder to test it out)... now open the file unpacker/manager, and click "new", then put the directory you extracted into your data folder, then click the sounds_music folder(not pack) as your relative directory that it asks for.

Now save the whole thing as, save as... sounds_music.pack then put the saved one in place of them old one (make a backup of course).

Then try it, it should work.

Thanks Axe. I'm afraid it won't solve my problem though:

There is an inconvenience to the way I figured it out.

For example: If you were to put in yourdesiredsong, you would rename it what the CA music file is, so it would be, MUS051_DEPLOYMENT_Western_ORC

or if you wanted it to be a battle song, rename it MUS061_BATTLE_Western_ORC_[LOOP]

now just because you changed western doesn't mean it will play western when you are being western, because it plays music based on the map!!!! Inconvenient.

You need to change all the culture music, once you rename your desired music file to the CA file, put it in place of the current CA file. Yours should overwrite it but should have the name of the old CA music title/file.
    As I said, I replaced all the files using the same file name... and yes, I replaced the files for every culture. I've only the tested the problem with western so far but the fact alone that it is getting that music from somewhere doesn't make sense to me.

Now once all your music is done, (make sure you do the frontend file which is located in the frontend folder to test it out)... now open the file unpacker/manager, and click "new", then put the directory you extracted into your data folder, then click the sounds_music folder(not pack) as your relative directory that it asks for.
    This seems to be the only difference in our approaches... I use Pack File Manager, which allows you to just go directly into the pack and replace the files, then save again, so there is no unpacking step in between. Not sure how that would make a difference?

Hm, I'm still stumped... By the frontend file, you mean the music that plays at the beginning, right? That's not a problem, that still works. It's just that the game now plays the original music that should no longer exist, because I replaced it, during battles instead of the silent track that I put in there.

It sucks huh? lol

mtw2 got harder to mod music over rome, as I feel etw is harder to mod music than mtw2.

only slightly related, but just so my thread doesn't disappear http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=243909

Thanks compound, that is a useful tip about how to set the way a loop track loops.

Update on my problem: I unpacked all my files and noticed that one of the naval battle tracks for pirates sounded like the music I was hearing. Replaced it with an empty file and voilą, I load a battle and no music where it shouldn't be.

Nota bene: This is a naval track. In a land battle... Might be useful for you music modders out there.