Thread: How to flatten a Normal Map

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Default How to flatten a Normal Map

There are 3 files that are used in skinning a unit:
    diffuse
    gloss
    normal

I am guessing that the normal map file is what gives the clothing height or depth as in a crease or fold or a collar lying over the jacket. How do you flatten the normal map and thus remove the collar or fold/crease? If you cannot flatten the map, is it possible to cover it so that you can effectively erase a portion of the normal map kind of like you can by painting the alpha channel of the diffuse black?

Basically what I am trying to do is get rid of a big collar around the neck of one unit and change it to a raised collar. When I recolor the jacket I can still see the raised outline of the old collar on my unit. I don't know if this is apart of the model itself or just the normal map that controls this. I am just experimenting since we cannot change the models atm and hoping it is just the normal map.

I hope I am making sense.

Default Re: How to flatten a Normal Map

It's pretty hard to edit normal maps directly, due to the structure from which they work. In my opinion, your best bet would be to either generate a new normal map from your modified diffuse file with the nVidia filter, or use the blur tool on the bit you want to "flatten". Although this will make it look less detailed in all likelihood.

K. Will try and see what happens.

In the area you don't want detail you need to use the flat normals color which is a purplish bluish color. If you make a flat color and run through nvidia filter it should output the flat normals color.

Hey Georgia, you lost me. Can you provide a screenie where the flat normals color is located?

Copy paste from a normal map with the collar you want :p
    I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse. -Charles V

My Mods- PipMod, LeatherUI, Spain Retexture+flag swap
    My website