Thread: What makes a great general?

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

My question is simple, across history from Alexander to Rommel(sp) and Patton, what makes a great general? Is it a great tactical mind? A great ability to lead men? Or something else? Or is it unexplainable?
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Organizational skill plays a big part. Luck is important too - just ask Caesar.
    "In war, with its enormous friction, even the mediocre is quite an achievement" - Moltke

Logistics is a major factor when determining the grandeur of a leader. The ability to make decisions. Sometimes have you get commanders who want others to decide for them (Band of Brothers, for example). Of course, sound grasp of tactics, strategy, etc.. I would say charisma, but there have been some uninspiring leaders in the past who've done fairly well.

Many strategists say that if a general can know the strength of his own forces and the strength of the enemy, he will not fall into danger.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

IMHO, history makes great Generals.
    Of course you can see history as simply the added acts of individuals, but I feel that the sum is different then the addition of parts.

Would Gouderian be agreat general without ferdinand Porche and the Krupp?
    Would Rommel be a great general in a world without Guderian (who changed the strategic thinking on mobility)
    Would Patton be able to make his dash accross france without the american economy geared up for war?
    Would Mannerheim be a great general if Stalin had not purged the soviet army?

Now, don't think that I deny that these people had the readiness of mind and the capacity to maximize their advantages.

I'm just saying that a strong factor is that they happened to be in the right place at the right time...

No general would ever be considered great if he didn't have luck on his side. But as for an attribute that they themselves are responsible for I'd go with adaptability.