Thread: Austrian Destroyers

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Default Austrian Destroyers

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dont mess with air rifles
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; June 01, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spoiler added

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Austrian Destroyers

Bah get me my Panzer Mark IV those Air Riflemen will be breaking and running once they see those led rounds go bounce bounce bounce.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Lumina View Post
    Bah get me my Panzer Mark IV those Air Riflemen will be breaking and running once they see those led rounds go bounce bounce bounce.
    I used to know a guy who loved his Mark IVs. He went crazy after a girl broke his heart.

Did the Austrians actually use air-rifles like in history and shiz?

Yup, it was known as the Windbúchse or Girandoni Air rifle. Was difficult to manufacture and unreliable and on top of that required very different training to an ordinary rifle. But it was very silent and could shoot multiple times with a fully pumped reservoir of air.

You can read more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

I guess anything is deadly against the cpu they will just run circles around your units while they get shot down. Against a human opponent they are almost useless. A charge with infantry or side charge with cavalry will always do the trick. That is assuming that the human player is competent.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Templar View Post
    I used to know a guy who loved his Mark IVs. He went crazy after a girl broke his heart.

Did the Austrians actually use air-rifles like in history and shiz?
    No clue, I know they were a novalty at one point, Lewis and Clark took one with them, to show off technology to natives, and so they could use it for hunting without wasting presious gunpowder.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexSpartan View Post
    I guess anything is deadly against the cpu they will just run circles around your units while they get shot down. Against a human opponent they are almost useless. A charge with infantry or side charge with cavalry will always do the trick. That is assuming that the human player is competent.
    He could of had two regiment of light infantry wipe the floor better than 1 regiment of Air riflement. 80 yard range but shot for shot they will get more hits than a Rifle regiment at 125 yards. IE cavalry bye bye if you get too close to light infantry who havn't fired their shots yet. One online match I was prussia before that patch which removed Austrian Jaegers as gods of the field. Facing down a bunch of rifles with normal light infantry, I just hid and waited for them to get into range, you'd be suprised how good normal light infantry can do vs rifles if the rifles get into their range. Sometimes I'd rather ranked up light infantry over no ranked rifles because of higher cost.

My Saxony campaign I have 4 regiment of Light Infantry and only 2 Regiment of Prussian Jaegers, in my best army, 3 regiments of Line Infantry, ya I love Light Infantry.
    Last edited by Lumina; June 01, 2009 at 09:28 PM.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Thread moved to Gameplay and Strategy Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumina View Post
    Facing down a bunch of rifles with normal light infantry, I just hid and waited for them to get into range, you'd be suprised how good normal light infantry can do vs rifles if the rifles get into their range. Sometimes I'd rather ranked up light infantry over no ranked rifles because of higher cost.
    I like this idea, but it seems that the regular light infantry is discovered in their hiding places before they get into range. So you're likely stuck having to advance them up to the 125 range rifles. I imagine the new patch, increasing their range to 90 will make this tactic more viable.

Any tips as to how you draw the 125 range rifles into the 80 range light? Or do you advance them into range and hope the rifles don't kite you?