Thread: Giving each faction or culture a unique behaviour

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Default Giving each faction or culture a unique behaviour

Greetings,

In this post GeorgiaPeanuts mentioned a certain MAINTAINANCE tag assigned to minor factions, while the tag FULL is assigned to the major/playable factions in startpos.esf (can't find the original post where either he or someone else told us the whole thing).

Well, it seems like replacing all occurences of MAINTAINANCE with FULL may make the minor factions as vivid as the major ones.

But why stop there?

I invite all modders out there to open up their PFM, load the present patch.pack file and look in the db folder for the entry campaign_ai_manager_behaviour_junctions.
    You'll notice that that's the file which defines what MAINTAINANCE and FULL actually mean. Indeed, FULL has 30 values assigned to it, while MAINTAINANCE has only 26.

Now, how about defining more manager personalities like those two to make the different faction actually behave differently? Who focuses on trade rather than war (TRADE_AREA_BEHAVIOUR)? Who does especially like pirating (TRADE_ROUTE_RAIDING_BEHAVIOUR)? Who is a truly honorable ally (HELP_ALLY_AT_WAR)?

There's also campaign_ai_personalities (listing) and campaign_ai_personalities_junctions (defining); it looks like only "default" is activated, so far, by being the only one that has the only "true" boole in campaign_ai_personalities. I haven't seen where these personalities are assigned to each faction, yet. I guess also in startpos.esf; haven't looked through that one much, so far. I'd appreciate any input on that aspect of ai behaviour definition.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ketzerfreund; March 27, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

No, that isn't a banana

Default Re: Giving each faction or culture a unique behaviour

I've activated "maritime_progressive" by setting it to "true" - didn't seem to have an impact on the game...I don't have NET framework at work, so I can't play around with it until tonight.

Umm... Where? What are you talking about? What "maritime_progressive"?

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post
    Umm... Where? What are you talking about? What "maritime_progressive"?

I believe it was in one of the behaviour lists - but I can't be certain right now. It was in a list of all of the AI types - the only one set to "True" was "default". I tlisted the others such as "new_age" etc...

Ah, yes. I think that that personality must be assigned to a faction somewhere. Just enabling it won't cut it, I guess. I've stumbled upon assorted stuff in the db folders that is either accompanied or even overriden by settings in startpos.esf. The db files are not almighty - which somewhat counters the spirit of the modular mod system...

Laetus

It looks like the factions_Tables - Some_id? column
    The others start at 22 and the table for personalities has 22 (IDs 0 - 21 is my guess)