Thread: Sword of Truth

NailX's Avatar Civis

Who here has all read that book series? I have them all and i just love it, my favorite is book 5, Faith of the Fallen. I think it the best one.

i think its safe to say Lord Rahl here has... lol....
    and i have to, for that matter.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

I will leave this open, but could you please add a little more such as why you think book five is the best? Maybe then it will open up a discussion with others who have read the series and may agree or disagree *wink* .
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Fatigue's Avatar Civis

Terry Goodkind is a fantastic writer in my opinion, I found myself absorbed immediately when I first started reading his series a year or two back, his abilities are enviable to say the least. *sighs* If I get as half as good as him I'll be more than satisfied.

As to his best book...gah I dunno, they're all excellent (though I haven't had a chance to read his latest ones yet).
    Lurking somewhere in the grey haze...

NailX's Avatar Civis

Towards Wild Bill Kelso, I left it like that in case there are people who are reading them as they go through this. That way i don't happen to ruin the book, but if you want more detail i can go and read off any page from the book as to why it is my fav.

I like it the most because of the fact that the battles are so intense. I love how they use the glass dust. I also find it way easier to get into and with richards struggle in the Old World.

NailX's Avatar Civis

As well, i have a feeling that there is only going to be 2 more books after the Chainfire book. Just a feeling, i hope it not true because i love reading his books. I wonder if he will use that world in another series or not...

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

You would think that with my username being 'Lord Rahl' then I would know. The books are amazing! Terry Goodkind can explain magic and other hard to explain phenomenon in ways you can't imagine. I highly recommend the series.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Civitate

This is another series in my bookshelf. I have yet to pick up "Chainfire" however I personally thought the first book was the best. It had a much better story than the other books and felt so much more original at the time.

I did a quick search and stumbled across some website that didn't say much. I love fantasy though (you can probably tell by my name). What's the setting like? Is it an original fantasy setting? D&D / Forgotten Realms? Something a bit more pulp noir? Conan-esque?

Content Emeritus

It is an orignal fantasy setting. Terry Goodkind drew his own map.

Here is Terry Goodkind's website. http://www.terrygoodkind.com/
    I'm not really a fantasy lover but I enjoyed this series very much. The setting is basically a world that is seperated by 'barriers', some magical, some natural that isolate magic and evil. Westland is the more modern land where magic is forgotten. The Midlands have much magic and D'Hara is the land of the evil emperor, Darken Rahl. I highly recommend this series for any reader of any interest.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

NailX's Avatar Civis

I assume you know the under line of the series then Lord Rahl? If you like it that much you can pick apart the lessons that each book has right? A lot of them can be used in real life and if you read it right it can change your look on many things. I just love the way the books are written. And it is orignal fantasty. Nothing like it really.

Content Emeritus

Are you referring to the wizards' rules?
    1)People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true.
    2) The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.
    3) Passion rules reason.
    4) There is magic in forgiveness -the magic to heal! In the forgiveness you grant, and more so in the forgiveness you receive.
    5) Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.
    6) The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.
    7) Life is the future, not the past
    8) Deserve victory.
    9) Contradictions don't exist, in whole or in part.

Fatigue's Avatar Civis

The Rules! :w00t Awesome! I'd forgotten most of them and I was considering reading the series again just find 'em and write them down somewhere. :lol Though I'm kinda disappointed that I don't have an excuse to re-read them now... :whistle Ah well, probably best I focus on my University readings anyway. :happy
    Lurking somewhere in the grey haze...

NailX's Avatar Civis

ya.. what other rules would i be talking about? lol. Anyway, there are lots of ways those rules can be put into a persons life. I just the books are amazing.

My question is not specifically related to Sword of Thruth. I've visited his website and found that he has written many series. If I got it right, several take place in the same world. So my question is: where to begin? If I'm to buy one of his book I intend to choose the first one.
    "... the first design of speech was to persuade others; either to give credit to what the speaking person would have them believe; or else to act or suffer such things, as he would compel them to act or suffer, if they are entirely in his power." Mandeville (1670-1733)

Under the Patronage of MareNostrum

Originally posted by Ldvs@May 4 2005, 10:09 AM
    My question is not specifically related to Sword of Thruth. I've visited his website and found that he has written many series. If I got it right, several take place in the same world. So my question is: where to begin? If I'm to buy one of his book I intend to choose the first one.
    Wizards first rule is the first book in the Sword of Truth series.
    Under the Patronage of Marshal Qin

Originally posted by drugpimp@May 4 2005, 04:51 PM
    Wizards first rule is the first book in the Sword of Truth series.
    Thanks. I now have another question about that series :lol I read the summary he's typed on his website about the first book and I suspect it's more adventure based (heroes wandering around the world) rather than relating struggles between kingdoms (like in A Song of Ice and Fire by Martin or The Wheel of Time by Jordan). So am I wrong?
    "... the first design of speech was to persuade others; either to give credit to what the speaking person would have them believe; or else to act or suffer such things, as he would compel them to act or suffer, if they are entirely in his power." Mandeville (1670-1733)

Under the Patronage of MareNostrum

Originally posted by Ldvs@May 4 2005, 11:00 AM
    Thanks. I now have another question about that series :lol I read the summary he's typed on his website about the first book and I suspect it's more adventure based (heroes wandering around the world) rather than relating struggles between kingdoms (like in A Song of Ice and Fire by Martin or The Wheel of Time by Jordan). So am I wrong?
    His books are more about the people and thier struggles than say Jordan's books and his political back stabbing. While warring nations are involved in the Sword of Truth series, the true story is about a few characters, 2 mainly. Its thier interaction with each other and the world around them that is the true story. I read both series and enjoy them both. You will see a difference in style and approach but both series are a wonderful read.
    Under the Patronage of Marshal Qin