Thread: Altering Naval Battle Scenarios

Default Altering Naval Battle Scenarios

Has anyone successfully managed to override the 'scenarios' XML and/or battle_script for naval battles and get the results into a working mod pack with PFM?

I'm thinking along the lines of the work done in this thread: [Demo Mods] Naval Battle Scenarios Here, but packed using the mod type rather than running unpacked. Although, I would be happy to run it as a movie pack if it worked for the moment.

Initially I want to just provide some historically accurate scenarios with respect to force composition, starting positions, wind direction, wind strength and sea state. Later I want to mod the individual ship capabilities and setting to model historically accurate encounters, i.e. Leander vs Genereux, with Leander under-gunned and under-manned without sea room, Genereux with extra marines and a low morale crew of relatively poor sailing ability.

I've tried overriding 'scenarios/battle_of_lagos.xml' with 'testdata/world/balanced_naval_battle.xml' and it gets as far as showing the correctly overriden fleet in the pre battle screen, but then a CTD occurs. If anyone has a better experience trying a similar thing i would be very interested to hear...

Default Re: Altering Naval Battle Scenarios

I think I've answered my own question having got 'balanced_naval_battle.xml' to run as if it were the Battle of Lagos with no problems after some minor tweaking.

I'll adapt it now to something like Strachan's Action off Cape Ortugal vs Dumanoir and see how it plays.