Thread: 20+ Units UI?

Mooncabbage's Avatar Ducenarius

Default 20+ Units UI?

So while I don't think I have the ability to mod a UI myself, I was just thinking.

Since there is now no hardcoded unit limit, and it has been observed that unit cards in excess of 20 "leak" from the panel, would it be possible to create a UI with smaller unit cards, allowing for say, 40 units? Make the unit cards half height, and maybe replace them with symbols instead of pictures. You know, like the little box shapes you get in turnbased wargames, the ones with the hexagonal boards. If anyone has ever watched a doco about a battleplan or seen a battlemap in a modern book, they should know roughly what I'm talking about. A more specific version of that.

Although now that I think about it, until there is some way other than scripting to get more units into battles, I guess it doesn't matter that much anyway.
    Not actually on the moon.

Empire: Tactical Warfare Mod v1.0

Default Re: 20+ Units UI?

We tried this in the demo, and it isn't that simple. Reducing the size of the cards doesn't fit them closer together so that more cards can fit on, it just makes the cards smaller.

I don't remember ever finding a solution to this, anyone else?

It may be possible to edit the file for the hud with no ext. It may have in there the value for offsets inbetween

is what I like to do to me
    have 30 or 40 units on each side
    I too have seen the photos appear where more than 20 units.
    I really hope that someone can do it !!!!!

come on modders get cracking
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Gonxas's Avatar Decanus

Just for your information AI can hardly manage 20 if you increase to the double AI behaviour will be even worsr.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gonxas View Post
    Just for your information AI can hardly manage 20 if you increase to the double AI behaviour will be even worsr.
    Cheers
    OK but there seems to be plenty of files for editting AI now, I know that was a big gripe in earlier games so I'd be fairly confident in saying that they'd have made those files accessible.

It'd just be nice for those of us with PCs kick ass enough to run REALLY big battles.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncabbage View Post
    OK but there seems to be plenty of files for editting AI now, I know that was a big gripe in earlier games so I'd be fairly confident in saying that they'd have made those files accessible.

It'd just be nice for those of us with PCs kick ass enough to run REALLY big battles.
    Sadly not more but less of the AI is outside of the exe this time around. In M2TW we had the long term goal decision thing to play around with, in Empire we just have weights without any conditionals.

On topic: I hope we'll be able to edit the UI when CA releases their tools (i.e. I actually hope they put in the lua sources for the UI)

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

WUT x3

Less AI stuff? I guess I can understand that they want to optomise the processes by having it in the executable, but you'd think tactical decisions or battle plans or i don't know, anything except maybe basic unit behavior and pathing would be exposed in some way. I don't know argh this makes me unhappy.

once again CA disappoint

i have already gotten a refund for this crappy game, maybe ill buy it of someone who hates it in a few years or so for the mods
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

considering I don't even like the new cards system or the new UI, I just turn all of it off and use the minimalist UI, I also only ever have my Orders bar on the screen because I find it makes the screen less clunky.

The good thing is that this way there is no UI corruption- the bad thing is that you have no idea what your units are up to.. but I mean its not really that bad. Do you honestly even need a UI for this? I manage fine without one.

My advice would be to default the cards to off and force the minimalist UI for such a mod.

I don't really see a point in making a UI when the simplest option is to just turn it off.

Oskar_GT's Avatar Civis
    Quetzaltenango city, Guatemala, Central America

Quote Originally Posted by Gonxas View Post
    Cheers
    But if someone can be able to increse, let say, just five/ten more units whitout "over charged" the game, maybe the AI will be not affected at all... or at least i hope so 'cos it could be great to have more than twenty units on a battle.
    "If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."