Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial] Adding Faction Victory Conditions!

Default [Tutorial] Adding Faction Victory Conditions!

Well, with just's new tool, the ESF editor, we can finally add victory conditions! Yay! Here's how.

Creating New Faction Victory Conditions

1. Open the ESF editor and open startpos.esf. BACK UP YOUR STARTPOS.ESF FIRST!!!

2. Now that you have the ESF open, to CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO, then VICTORY_CONDITIONS_OPTIONS.

3. Under this block you will see several blocks with the same name. Click on one, you'll see what faction it is for. Right click on the block you want and click Clone from disk.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

4. Click on this new block. In the right panel, click on the faction name and type the name you want. You must use the same name the game uses. These names are found all throughout the DB files.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

5. Now, open this block to see several block underneath it. Each one is for each different type of campaign mode. I haven't yet figured out the order, but the second one is certainly the short campaign.

6. For each campaign, open until you get to REGION_KEYS. You will see a bunch of these. Change the value of these keys to the regions you want. You can clone existing keys to add more and delete ones to have less. Be sure you use the name the game uses!

Changing Number of Provinces Needed

1. With the ESF editor, open startpos.esf and browse to CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO\VICTORY_CONDITIONS_OPTIONS\VICTORY_CONDITIONS_BLOCK\CAMPAIGN_VICTORY_CONDITIONS

2. Click on CAMPAIGN_VICTORY_CONDITIONS for the campaign you want to edit. In the right pane, you will see a Uint with a number like 40, 25, 30, etc. Edit this Uint (it's the first one) to change the number of provinces needed. There is also a year Uint, which is the date by which these goals must be completed.
    Last edited by Zach_the_Evil; March 26, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Noran's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: [Tutorail] Adding Faction Victory Conditions!

Link, please. I can not find it
    Last edited by Noran; March 26, 2009 at 02:42 AM.
    ~Ρωμανία αυτοκρατορία~

Default Re: [Tutorial] Adding Faction Victory Conditions!

Giving this a little bump, to avoid duplicates as has happened already

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Excellent find! I am not a modder and would almost certainly destroy my game if I started fiddling with any values, but I am sure that the competent modders will soon start making adjustments. The sad thing is that in the previous TW games, even I could make minor adjustments like turns per year and victory conditions very easily. I am such a luddite.

This system, though it requires a little bit more time investment to get started, is actually better than before, except perhaps concerning regions. Let's take an example.

I have released a mod, adding a unit called Zach's Cavalry. Some other guy releases a mod with a Some Guy's Infantry unit. Under the old system, these two mods would have to be manually combined in a text file. Someone would physically have to do this, IIRC.

With the E:TW system, each mod, properly created, would exist in its own pack. They would both modify the same tables, but with different names for the table files, both would be added to the list. Both would work.

As for being a luddite and destroying the game, just back up your .ESF file. Play with it, discover it, make destructive changes. This is how science works, how discoveries are made. I, on a whim, tried cloning these values and making changes. It worked, I was happy. I've made other, terrible, changes, changes that have caused crashes. But, I've learned what not to do. I know you are human; I therefore have faith in your ability to add to what we know of these ESF files. Happy modding.

Is it savegame compatible?
    Or is there a way to add those through editing the savegame?
    Freedom or Death!!!

So far as I know, there is no way to edit them into a save game. The save game files do not contain CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO.

Quote Originally Posted by daud.fr View Post
    Is it savegame compatible?
    Or is there a way to add those through editing the savegame?
    For a savegame go to:
    CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME\CAMPAIGN_ENV\CAMPAIGN_SETUP\CAMPAIGN_PLAYERS_SETUP\PLAYERS_ARRAY\PLAYERS_ARRAY\CAMPAIGN_PLAYER_SETUP\CAMPAIGN_VICTORY_CONDITIONS\REGION_KEYS for your side.

So basically i just put in the region keys, for my faction?
    Just a question though, how come all the other region keys (for other factions) are empty?
    Freedom or Death!!!

I guess the AI gets disqualified from winning the game because it cheats

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

anyone know why when i try to mod in victory conditions for the italian states it does nothing... at all... and whenever after starting the game all related files that have been changed to that end mysteriously disappear even while my other ones for greece remain... and work.. just dl'ed the 'all factions playable inc. emergent factions' (different name, same meaning) mod, thought italian states had victory conditions to begin with but with this mod they dont, dont see why putting them back in wont work..

nvm.. issue resolved
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; April 22, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

demis14's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Zach_the_Evil View Post
    Each one is for each different type of campaign mode. I haven't yet figured out the order, but the second one is certainly the short campaign.
    look at the 5th entry which is a UInt number either 0, 1, 2 or 3 and this shows the order that goes:
    0 = Short Campaign
    1 = Long Campaign
    2 = Prestige Victory
    3 = World Domination

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by demis14 View Post
    look at the 5th entry which is a UInt number either 0, 1, 2 or 3 and this shows the order that goes:
    0 = Short Campaign
    1 = Long Campaign
    2 = Prestige Victory
    3 = World Domination

hope this helps
    Never mind, I did not understood you. Now I understand what you ment.

this mod is great!! it really helped me alot! does anyone know, how i can make a minor faction into a major faction, for example, turing bavaria into a major faction and include it into the prestige skala.

How to make a faction major or minor is beyond the scope of this thread. However, I will tell you anways.

To make a minor faction into a major one, open the ESF editor and point it towards your startpos.esf.

Go to CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS -> CAMPAIGN_MODEL -> WORLD -> FACTION_ARRAY -> FACTION_ARRAY -> FACTION for the faction you want to edit. There are plenty of FACTION_ARRAY, one for each faction.

For each faction, there is a Boolean (that is, true or false value) variable that sets the major or minor status. It is the sixth variable in the right window, before the System.byte[]. Settings this variable to true makes a faction a major faction. Set it to false, and the faction will be minor.

How do you edit the victoy conditions for a minor nation?

can i use this tutorial to edit lets say Great Britain victory conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by SWEDEN1987 View Post
    How do you edit the victoy conditions for a minor nation?
    Its the same like editing for a major faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitoondiet View Post
    can i use this tutorial to edit lets say Great Britain victory conditions?
    Yes you can use this tutorial for every faction you want.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

I did some VC's for the Knights of St.John(I copied the Ottoman file) but when I save, exit and open the startpos again I don't see the faction file in the list
    It's getting Deleted or something
    Any help?
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast