Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to properly load mods without interference from patches.

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Default How to properly load mods without interference from patches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never never never delete or change ANY original .pack file, especially not patch.pack.

1. Only use the "MM" (mod manager) or "mod" version of every major mod you want to use (your own mods too!). The difference is a "code" in the byte header that tells the game its a mod.
    2. Go to C:\Users\Yourusername\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    3. Create a new txt file called user.empire_script.txt
    4. Add one new line per mod, like this;
    mod mod_pip.pack;
    mod mod_firing_arc.pack;
    mod mod_fifesndrums.pack;
    mod mod_smokemod.pack;

This thing about adding a new textline in that file, is exactly what the mod manager is doing if you dont wanna use that program.
    This is the proper way of loading mods when the game starts, as long as they are in MM/mod format you wont have a prob with any future patches and wont ever have to backup any files or reinstall the game.

To uninstall any mod you just remove the line from the txt file and delete the mod's .pack file in your data folder.
    CA clearly stated this to be the way mods were intended to be loaded, in order to avoid any patch-complications.
    Last edited by Baleur; May 02, 2009 at 03:48 AM.

Default Re: Why cant people understand that this is how to properly load mods? From CA themselves.

ALso the Header needs to have the right bit set to a mod.

Miles

Default Re: Why cant people understand that this is how to properly load mods? From CA themselves.

Actually that have nothing to do with the name, but in what format it's encoded. A lot of "old" mods are using the patch format (wich don't alter the game native files BTW) wich has problems concerning the loading order with the official patch. The mod format is the one that should be used because we can control the loading order and we can activate/desactivate them without deleting/removing them.
    You can use the mod manager in place of editing the text file, and that control the loading order of the mods too.

The most important concerning names is not the name of the pack the the ones of the files inside wich should not have the same as the native one.

There's a few post concerning this in the mod workshop forum. I've even wrote a tutorial on file structure in mods for those who are intersted.

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

Quote Originally Posted by Baleur View Post
    In order to have mods be 100% unaffected by patches you have to rename the .pack files to something like mod_smoke.pack, and add mod mod_smoke.pack; to user.empire_script.txt (make a new one if it isnt there already) in C:\Users\Baleur\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts.. This works for ALL .pack mods, and is the only way it should be done.
    But not every single unit skin mod, or?

Miles

If you're afraid of the little text file use this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240335
    That's really the best way to go if you want to share your work.
    And that's how the game was design too.
    But most importantly, the name don't do anything, in the PFM right click, pack format, mod, done.
    Or look here if you want to uderstand: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239933
    and ther: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...dding+standard
    Last edited by MrThib; March 25, 2009 at 04:59 PM.

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

I'm not afraid of anything.

I just can't believe I have to do this for every little skin change mod.

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: How to properly load mods without interference from patches.

Im sure someone can make a .exe that auto-adds mod entries to the .txt

There is already one

Stupid question (tried search) but what's the difference between a mod and a patch ?

More specifically if I wanted to add a new unit would I have to use that whoelfile or could I mod/patch in just the specific row+values I wanted to add onto the existing table ?

Seen it done with skins/textures where someone has added a 'patch' to replace 1 file but I dunno whether it can be done with a text based file like the units_tables without including ALL the entries...

A patch is released by CA, a mod is User based, at least that is how it should work.

Also alot of people want to use their mods online so they alter the patch.pack, this is wrong and can be considered hacking in their EULA, unless of course they say otherwise, so until CA fixes this, mods are offline.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260572

Game Scripter @ Reverie World Studios

OK cool

Decanus

Also, modders should work with last patch files if they get conflicts. CA makes changes in these files too.

Is it possible to load two mod.packs within the same script file? If so, how would you write it?

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    Is it possible to load two mod.packs within the same script file? If so, how would you write it?
    Yes you can load as many as you want. Like this for example:

mod mod_pip.pack;
    mod mod_firing_arc.pack;
    mod mod_fifesndrums.pack;
    mod mod_smokemod.pack;

As far as i know, you should keep bigger mods at the bottom of the list so they load last, and thereby override any potential conflicts with minor mods.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Baleur View Post
    As far as i know, you should keep bigger mods at the bottom of the list so they load last, and thereby override any potential conflicts with minor mods.
    That is correct in most standard cases!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

All i want to do is use Pack File Manager to delete the unit limit for Guards and change their range to 125. This would be very simple and easy for even me, but how on earth do i do this in the 'mod' format?

Indefinitely Banned
    Somewhere up North. Population of bordem.

It doesn't work,

mod mod Hessian_mod.pack;
    mod mod british_mod.pack;
    mod mod american_mod.pack;
    mod mod equipment_tweak_mod.pack;
    mod mod proper_militia_v11.pack;
    mod mod realistic_flag_set_v12.pack;
    mod mod isil_mod.pack;

Game automatically crashes upon start up. What gives? Please, someone help me out here.

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

hey i have a problem but i dont know what it is... whenever i go to my Users/AppData, etc. there is no Creative Assembly or Empire folders... please i need help!!

i have reinstalled and it didnt change anything, im not sure what to do

posted this on the mod workshop but it was a bit quiet,

Ive searched around on the forums and theres not alot but consensus seemed to be that mods loaded from top to bottom, with the next mod overwriting any above it. This has been what i have always presumed to be true. This is not the same as using Modmanager in fact the opposite.

I know it sounds obvious but just a question pple about the load order for scripts in the USer.empire_script file.
    As the above poster i have assumed top to bottom lowest gets priority.

But now it seems from a test with a building effect_junction table that the highest script gets priority. Does it overwrite a lower mod, or just prevent it from activating?

So does any1 have a clear idea what is the actual order is?
    Last edited by Dogmeat; June 20, 2009 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks a ton Baleur! +REP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast