Thread: Some questions i have bout learning to mod

Icon5 Some questions i have bout learning to mod

ok i have a lot of questions but im a bit nervous about asking them because their is no getting around it i will sound like a noob

So I have always wanted to learn how to mod a total war game. But since i like to edit stuff around to be my own i sorta wanna get into learning how to skin Empire. So i sorta wanna get a head start on learning while empire just came out so that way i can help with dev of mods or w/e and just making stuff that i want. But up comes some of my questions

1. What do the mod tools that the Devs get out do exactly? do they deal with skins models or coding ect?

2. I saw a nice looking thread around about making your own models (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238847) but me with my infinite intelligence/attention span quickly got confused with all the stuff they were talking about so i was wondering if any one knows of any video tutorials because they keep my attention longer and it makes it easier for me to under stand because its almost like following a teacher in class.

3. What is the difference between modeling and skinning? I know that with Modeling you make stuff for scratch but if you do that do you also need to learn to code and animate your models you make?

4. Do you think it would be easier to learn with skinning then learning to model or to just jump right in with modeling

5. When i get started what will i need i was planning on starting out with Medieval because its a lot more stable then empire is. So do you think it would be worth it to just dive in with Empire or Practice with Medieval? i also have Rome if that's even better to begin with but keep in mind i plan working with Empire.

Ok i think that covers most of my questions. Sorry if i didn't post this in the right area i thought it should go hear because it was Mod work shop for empire and i figured where better to go to learn to mod empire than from the moders
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

Default Re: Some questions i have bout learning to mod

Perhaps this link will help you.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=239933&page=5

"Sometimes the best words are those left unsaid..."

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Some questions i have bout learning to mod

Quote Originally Posted by UNS33Nfisther View Post
    1. What do the mod tools that the Devs get out do exactly? do they deal with skins models or coding ect?
    Nobody knows. They aren't out yet.

2. I saw a nice looking thread around about making your own models (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238847) but me with my infinite intelligence/attention span quickly got confused with all the stuff they were talking about so i was wondering if any one knows of any video tutorials because they keep my attention longer and it makes it easier for me to under stand because its almost like following a teacher in class.
    That thread is about making skins, not models.

3. What is the difference between modeling and skinning? I know that with Modeling you make stuff for scratch but if you do that do you also need to learn to code and animate your models you make?
    Modeling is editing the 3d frame of the unit, skinning is editing the image that wraps around that model.

Modeling isn't necessarily making something from scratch, you could edit CA's models just like you can their skins. You don't have to animate code or animate models, but currently I don't think anyone has figured out how to model in this game yet.

4. Do you think it would be easier to learn with skinning then learning to model or to just jump right in with modeling
    Skinning is definitely more accessable. You can't really do any modeling yet anyway.

5. When i get started what will i need i was planning on starting out with Medieval because its a lot more stable then empire is. So do you think it would be worth it to just dive in with Empire or Practice with Medieval? i also have Rome if that's even better to begin with but keep in mind i plan working with Empire.
    I wouldn't bother starting with Medieval, ETW uses a different engine, so there's no guarantee modeling will work the same. And skinning is just as easy with Empire as it was in Medieval.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince