Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: United Provinces Retexture Project (Dutch Republic / Netherlands) - Light and Full Editions Released!

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Default United Provinces Retexture Project (Dutch Republic / Netherlands) - Light and Full Editions Released!

Introduction Let me start of by saying this: I love Empire: TW. I don't like the flaws, sure, but overall, the game has made a stellar impression on me and I certainly consider it to be the Total War game. Rome and Medieval II have dissappeared off my HD and are likely never to return again. Why? Because I love the 18th and 19th century!

So, much to my dismay, I discovered that the Netherlands is represented in battles by a bunch of blue / orange guys in very unimaginative uniforms. That has to change. Having had some experience modding textures for Civilization IV: Colonization and Europa Universalis III and seeing some of the amazing work already being done on these forums, I thought I'd join in..

Objectives I plan to rework much, if not the entire lineup of the Dutch Republic so they conform to what we know to be historically accurate. If I can't find a historically accurate picture, I'll try to integrate the unit as best I can in the lineup. (The chances of me not finding a historically accurate picture are low though, so don't worry.. ) However, I should add that historical accuracy isn't the holiest of the holy. If I don't like the look, if it's not practical or if it works better in a different way, then so be it.

Reference Materials I'm currently using the Vinkhuijzen collection at the New York Public Library and the collection of the Dutch Army Museum as my primary sources of reference. If anyone knows of any books that have good pictures in them, feel free to let me know, although digital sources would be preferred (since it's a lot easier to take samples from digital images and integrate them into the textures)..

Fellow Contributors I'm not the only one currently working on Dutch uniforms; Van Diemen has recently posted pictures of his Swiss Guard units, Remo has already retextured the Dutch Line Infantry. and KindredBrujah has been working on the VOC units. From what I can tell, these members intend to work on more Dutch units as well, so with a little luck, we'll soon get the whole lineup working and integrated into a single mod.

Progress - As of June 29th 2009
    INFANTRY

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Line Infantry

Grenadiers

Holland Guard

Swiss Infantry

Blue Guard

Scots

Waldeck Regiment

Officers

Musician

Pikemen

Light Infantry (Light Edition only)

Riflemen (These units are the 'Light Infantry' in the Full Edition)

Riflemen (Full Edition only)

Militia

VOC Infantry - 'Regiment de Meuron'

Sepoys

CAVALRY

Regiment of Horse

VOC Cavalry

Light Dragoons

Dragoons

Horse Grenadiers (Full Edition only)

Cuirassiers (Full Edition only)

Garde du Corps

Horse Guards

Hussars

Household Cavalry

General and General's Bodyguard

Provincial Cavalry

ARTILLERY

Foot Artillery

Horse Artillery

Rocket Troops

Plans Both the Light as well as the Full Edition have been released, so we're way past the planning stages. Go ahead and download either one of them!

Download The United Provinces Retexture Project's Light Edition was released on May 22nd.
    It is available for download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263541

The United Provinces Retexture Project's Full Edition was released on September 27th.

It is available for download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6029286
    Last edited by jarnomiedema; September 27, 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Changed First Post Layout

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Default Re: New uniforms for the United Provinces (Dutch Republic / Netherlands)

WOW very nice indeed, you the man - I can't wait till these are downloadable, this game is a dream come true

Default Re: New uniforms for the United Provinces (Dutch Republic / Netherlands)

Excellent job!

killerrabbit's Avatar Senator

very good, love the work, since I'm Dutch myself...

if this helps... It's an Elmina recrute...
    Last edited by killerrabbit; March 25, 2009 at 11:25 AM.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Lord Claremorris's Avatar Senator
    Racine, Wisconsin, United States of America

Splendid, Empire's Total lack of accuracy has unsettled me, but as I had hoped modders are coming to the rescue. Perhaps you could change the flag to the Prinsenvlag as well? The flag in use wasn't officially adopted until the 1790's if I'm not incorrect.
    "Ghlaoigh tú anuas ar an Toirneach, agus anois bain an Chuaifeach."

Thanks for the comments guys! Today I've been trying to help out Van Diemen with some texture problems he's experiencing with his Swiss Guard unit and I've been fiddling around some more with the details on the officer, musician and Remo's line infantry. With a little luck I'll have a few screenshots up here tonight to show the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by killerrabbit View Post
    very good, love the work, since I'm Dutch myself...

if this helps... It's an Elmina recrute...
    That's awesome! I don't think the unit is important enough to include it in the custom battle roster, but there's an entry for african_infantry if I'm not mistaken, so I'll definitely keep this in mind! (As far as I know, you only get the African line infantry if you capture Tunis I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Claremorris View Post
    Splendid, Empire's Total lack of accuracy has unsettled me, but as I had hoped modders are coming to the rescue. Perhaps you could change the flag to the Prinsenvlag as well? The flag in use wasn't officially adopted until the 1790's if I'm not incorrect.
    Actually, the flag thing has always been a bit of a contended issue. As far as I know, you're right about the official adoptation, but the red, white and blue flag was often mixed in with the Prinsenvlag.. Also, when the dye in the flags would run out due to weather and such, the red dye was more resilient than the yellow dye, which would eventually fade. So, a lot of ships were eventually sailing around the world with red, white and blue ensigns. Nevertheless, I've checked out the flag texture files (I replaced Britain's red ensign with the white one; I know it's not entirely historically accurate, but I just prefer the white one) and I think I'll do it as follows: as long as the Netherlands is a republic, it'll use the Prinsenvlag, with the orange band. If it becomes a constitutional monarchy, it'll use the red-white-blue flag and if it becomes an absolute monarchy it'll use the one with multiple renditions of the flag on it.

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

Oh, and see the link in my signature...
    Another place to add in uniforms...

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by jarnomiedema View Post
    I think I'll do it as follows: as long as the Netherlands is a republic, it'll use the Prinsenvlag, with the orange band. If it becomes a constitutional monarchy, it'll use the red-white-blue flag and if it becomes an absolute monarchy it'll use the one with multiple renditions of the flag on it.

Wouldn't

red-white-blue = Republic
    9 striped flag = constitutional monarchy
    Prinsenflag = absolute monarchy

be better?

(my reason for saying this, in a nutshell)
    Yes in modern times the Netherlands is a kingdom and uses the red-white and blue, but the reason for that has not much to do with being a kingdom.
    It was selected to be the only flag simply because it was the most used flag, an orange pennant is still added to represent royalty.

The Prinsenflag is more of a royal flag as it was based on the (royal)colours of Willem of Orange and was mostly used by the Orangists, not the Republicans who preferred the red-white-blue.
    Or better said, they disliked the Prinsenvlag because of their anti-royalty feelings.

(Great skins for those grenadiers btw )
    Last edited by Yoram777; March 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Lord Claremorris's Avatar Senator
    Racine, Wisconsin, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by jarnomiedema View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys! Today I've been trying to help out Van Diemen with some texture problems he's experiencing with his Swiss Guard unit and I've been fiddling around some more with the details on the officer, musician and Remo's line infantry. With a little luck I'll have a few screenshots up here tonight to show the progress!

That's awesome! I don't think the unit is important enough to include it in the custom battle roster, but there's an entry for african_infantry if I'm not mistaken, so I'll definitely keep this in mind! (As far as I know, you only get the African line infantry if you capture Tunis I believe).

Actually, the flag thing has always been a bit of a contended issue. As far as I know, you're right about the official adoptation, but the red, white and blue flag was often mixed in with the Prinsenvlag.. Also, when the dye in the flags would run out due to weather and such, the red dye was more resilient than the yellow dye, which would eventually fade. So, a lot of ships were eventually sailing around the world with red, white and blue ensigns. Nevertheless, I've checked out the flag texture files (I replaced Britain's red ensign with the white one; I know it's not entirely historically accurate, but I just prefer the white one) and I think I'll do it as follows: as long as the Netherlands is a republic, it'll use the Prinsenvlag, with the orange band. If it becomes a constitutional monarchy, it'll use the red-white-blue flag and if it becomes an absolute monarchy it'll use the one with multiple renditions of the flag on it.
    Sounds like an excellent idea, I agree and endorse it completely.
    "Ghlaoigh tú anuas ar an Toirneach, agus anois bain an Chuaifeach."

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post

Wouldn't

red-white-blue = Republic
    9 striped flag = constitutional monarchy
    Prinsenflag = absolute monarchy

be better?

That definitely sounds a lot more logical now that you mention it.. Alright then, it's settled; this is the way it's going to be..

Oh, and a little update regarding the units; I spent most of yesterday evening working on Infantery Regiment nr. XXIV, beter known as Gordon's Scottish regiment, which was in service between 1758-1776.

Unfortunately, after applying the texture to the line infantry unit, it just didn't come out right or sit well with me. They just looked like another reskin of the line infantry and not like a very interesting unit at all..

So, after talking about it with Van Diemen, we decided to do something slightly different; Gordon's Scots will be a highlander unit, with kilts and all, based on the image above. It will not be entirely historically accurate, but I don't think the point of this mod is to make the game entirely historically accurate; it's to give the United Province faction a more interesting lineup (especially in the late stage).

Starting tomorrow, I will be retexturing the unit and making sure that it's as close to the real Gordon Regiment as possible. In fact, I've already found a great website with Gordon tartans (the patterns on their kilts), so with a little luck, it won't be as big of an infraction on history..

That's it from me for today!
    Last edited by jarnomiedema; March 26, 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I must agree that that picture doesnt really tell me its a scotsman. Looks like normal line infantry.

Van Diemen's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I must agree that that picture doesn't really tell me its a Scotsman. Looks like normal line infantry.
    Indeed except to the fact that it has a much more differently coloured uniform than other Dutch or mercenary regiments. The red was quite unique to the Scottish mercenaries, though you can find some Scottish in blue uniforms as well.

That is indeed the reason why we decided that some minor differences for the historical uniforms are acceptable for the enrichment of the game, otherwise you will end up with the same line infantry with only differently coloured uniforms A, B, C, etc. That's would more or less result in cloning instead of added additional units. I myself have been altering the Swiss units as well to "superior infantry", to make them look a bit more independent. I'm still working on it, but will post some pictures to show you all the outcome.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

A, very good work mate!

Here are the latest screenshots of the Swiss Guard fighting for the United Provinces. Please watch the details, like the grey Whigs and their nice hats.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Here are the latest screenshots of the Swiss Guard fighting for the United Provinces. Please watch the details, like the grey Whigs and their nice hats.

AWESOME!

I missed the grey wings really much!

keep up the great work!

"Regarding the Scottish units, I'm not sure how to get them integrated into the lineup so you can select them in custom battles. It's very strange that there are Scottish and Expatriate regiments for the Netherlands, but they're not available in multiplayer or custom battles! "

I believe that if, using the Pack File Manager, you go to the "units_table" file, find the entry, go to the spot that says "Early Availability - Unknown - Late Availability" each with either "True" or "False" underneath them, changing "Early/Late Availability" from False to True should make them available in late/early/both eras of custom battles, and I think "unknown" makes them recruitable on the campaign map.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31

Default A new unit: Hollandsche Gardes

I have made another unit for the United Provinces. The "Hollandsche Gardes" or in English "Holland's Guards". I hope you all like this new unit. They should become available in game near 1750 or Late in custom battles.

sgt_melin's Avatar Semisalis

Great work!!

And here is the so-called Regiment XXIV, better known as 'Gordon's Scots', one of several Scottish regiments in service of the United Provinces. This one was active between 1758-1776.

The most important reason why I decided to go with the highlander base instead of the line infantry was that, if we'd go with another line infantry unit, it would look like just that: 'another' line infantry unit. Now, the United Provinces has an actual Scottish looking unit in its service. I tried to make sure that as many of the details were right, even going so far as to look up actual Clan Gordon kilts.

I'm very happy with the way it looks.. I hope you guys like it as well!

Any Scottish unit=win, the only way they could be cooler is if they had MacLean tartans instead.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast