Thread: The Worst Battle Ever - Appaling Siege AI

Default The Worst Battle Ever - Appaling Siege AI

I just played a 1 vs 1 siege game, no rules, he was defending with french in a star fort, i was attacking as India.

He took loads of eliete Inf and 10 Morters....

I took 5 Morters, some cannon to nreach the walls and a mix of inf.

I out-played him, killed his morters breached his walls in 2 place, got my army inside.

To all intemts and purposes i had won, he had only 5 units of guards left, i had tons more men and cannon.

He ran all his men to the far Ravelin out of range of all of my cannon and morters and sat there... for 45 mins.
    I dont have the men to melee 700 guards... and her eis the run, my men cant shoot his on the ravelin from the forst walls nor can they use wall cannons.

So i have a choice, wait for 15 mins to move my single 18lb cannon round the whole fort then wait 10 mins more to knock down the ravelin ... or i attack and lose.

I quit in disgust.

The siege ai is appalling, not being able to shoot from the walls you have taken is monumentaly stupid and makes any games with starforts almost un-winable if the defender does as the person i played did.

Any chance that a patch can fis this bug, i should not be difficult..

Default Re: The Worst Battle Ever - Appaling Siege AI

That issue permeates this game. What incentive is there for people to move at all? It's even worse now than it was in other games. M2TW was all about rushing because you could abuse the fact that archers were practically useless and instantly shift the battle by negating the money they spent on said units. But ETW is different in the sense that it is a long range engagement. To avoid being bombarded you can literally avoid the range of your opponents artillery...which gives them the decision to either abandon their hard spent money or continue to wait while twiddling their thumbs.

RE: Siege AI.

Yes it's pretty awful.

What the heck is a Ravelin?

Hardly disgusting he played the game smarter and you could have chosen too wait it out.
    A legend is only a legend when alot of people talks about him. So far no one meets this requirement except Zyphlan
    ~PrimeChaosVC

Zyphlan is a legend, you don't need to be popular to be legendary .

They say real legends never die, and if screen shots can be believed, it would appear he has arisen to revisit unspeakable horrors on all who would oppose him!

Ravelin is the mini-fort that sticks out from the amin one, linked by a bridge. Ravelin is, i believe its proper name.

Ah thanks for the clarification.

Yah, I played a siege where I had taken the fort and the guy retreated all his remaining units into a house, 400 or so into one house.

I could have done the same. You know, Zyphlan's wait 'em out game. But that is boring. Funny how he says waiting games where people have time to think is boring. Isn't mortar camping, or house camping the same thing?

Anyway, ever since that I've made sure to keep one unit of artillery in reserve to level buildings if the other guy tries that tactic. Put it way in the back and forget about it until the end game.

So instead of waiting 30 minutes and being boring, you flatten whatever he's hiding in.

"He played the game smarter than you". You mean, he gave up his whole fort since in MP you can't just take the center of the fort to win like you can in SP. Frankly that needs to be added into the game. After all, it's a seige. You take the fort, you win. If some idiot is going to hide the rest of his army, in Real Life (tm) you'd just burn him out. Just like if someone was doing the patented Zyphlan "I'll win because I'll outbore the other guy" play you'd just bypass his army and sack his cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlan View Post
    Hardly disgusting he played the game smarter and you could have chosen too wait it out.
    It was more the point that the game forced me into doing somthing stupid, un-realisitc, overly costly and flawed.

The thing that annoyed me, was that i could not shot him from the walls, he was withing range and line of sight yet my men reuse to aim at him or shoot. If i click the enemny unit they charge into combat and get killed.

Its the AI i am annoyed about, not his tactic, if this aspect of the game worked sensibly then his tacticwould have availed him nothing, he would have been corraled and shot to bits. He was abusing flaws in the game to make it difficult/impossible for him to lose.

Protector Domesticus

Post removed. Please do not speak negatively towards other members, regardless of your opinion of them. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. - Thanatos
    Last edited by Thanatos; March 24, 2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Negative derogatory post towards another user.

Again, the system is badly broken - How they came up with such a poorly designed MP set I really dont know....

I've been asking that for the past 4-5 years.

Why did you not take the flag square in the center of the fort? You only have to hold it for 2 mins to win :-/

Well if he abused something that you rly canīt attack itīs unfair.
    I thought he just got out of range and was sitting ina house.
    A legend is only a legend when alot of people talks about him. So far no one meets this requirement except Zyphlan
    ~PrimeChaosVC

Zyphlan is a legend, you don't need to be popular to be legendary .

They say real legends never die, and if screen shots can be believed, it would appear he has arisen to revisit unspeakable horrors on all who would oppose him!

Quote Originally Posted by amigafan2003 View Post
    Why did you not take the flag square in the center of the fort? You only have to hold it for 2 mins to win :-/
    I had troops in the centre for 11 mins, no win.

The Count(er)'s Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'd agree with that, if I was in that position I'd just take out the bridge and see how smart they feel then, when I can bombard their trapped army.

Edit: never mind that bit above, the complaint about the AI seems valid.
    Last edited by The Count(er); March 24, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    everyone but me is wrong.
    Ego's are fun