Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Le FUSIL Unit Guide for Empire v1.6

Default Re: Le FUSIL Unit Guide for ETW v1.5 - Updated Elite Units of America and MP Costs

Thank you !
    Who Dares Win

Default Re: Le FUSIL Unit Guide for ETW v1.5 - Updated Elite Units of America and MP Costs

Highly recommended

Incredible, +rep
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Fire-dweller's Avatar Civis

Anyone know when the next DLC comes out?

The latest reference to any future Empire DLC, "Elite Units of the East", was made at the official site’s update thread here (post #84).

No release dates are quoted.
    brandybarrel's BattleAxe and Unit Guide Links:

MortenJessen's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi there Brandy.
    Will you continue this guide into the Napoleonic era?
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen

Hi there Brandy.
    I do not hope that the following sounds too harsh, since I really appreciates your work on this guide. But I really can not under stand that no one has asked you this before:
    Please go back to the previous layout, the pre-5.1 for your guide. For two reasons 1) is to eliminate misunderstandings (like the fact that the Dutch Swiss infantry is the elite, not the Scots) and so on, or 2) simply to eliminate problems the easy way (by avoiding the situations where they pop up (like placing US-grenadiers as a rifleman unit, despite making a 4)). And there are more of them.
    I do not hope that this sounds too harsh and takes away your willingness to continue making this great guide.
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen
    Last edited by MortenJessen; January 17, 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Hi MortenJessen

Thanks for the feedback. I am listening.

I had my concerns as well regarding the placement of the “odd” unit that did not fit into the unit categories I had set out (e.g. Elite Infantry). Almost all factions have such a case. I prefer symmetry or balance with the page layout and tried to avoid creating a one-man group/category. I have fretted over the placement of such units as cited in your example and had hoped that a footnote or people’s experience with the game would make things understood.

Regarding the Swiss Infantry and Scots, there is no literature in-game that supports that either are Elite Infantry. Empire has them both classified as Line Infantry and their unit descriptions are identical. I placed the Scots in the Elite category because of platoon fire (as elite units have) and superior melee ability. Is it their historical background that you are concerned about?

I believe the issue I have created for myself is the unit categories I have placed. I have made them as broad as possible (e.g. Light Infantry) but when the opportunity exists to make even more “specialized” groups or sub-categories I have done so (e.g. Rangers and Riflemen). Indeed the Elite units are Line Infantry too. It is far easier for me to go back to the previous page layout but I do not see the advantages on the straight-line unit presentation.

I don’t think I have received enough feedback to warrant a change however. I will reexamine my placement of the “odd” units and group labeling in preparation for the “Elite Units of the East”. In the mean time, I hope more people would provide comments on their preference for page layout.

Thanks for commenting and please feel free to do so again.

PS. the Napoleon:Total War unit guide
    Last edited by brandybarrel; January 18, 2010 at 02:15 AM.

I vote to keep the current layout, it gives a much better overview.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

I agree, daniu!

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    I vote to keep the current layout, it gives a much better overview.
    Hi there daniu.
    Does it really give a better overview? Example; grenadiers. In some countries rooster they are placed as light infantry, others again as line infantry.
    And there are apparently differences between light infantry and skirmishers.
    I stand by my previous statement, that keeping units in skale from early to late, is better than making an, agreed well intended but still ill favoured, attempt to devide units into pre-organised categories that are too blurred out. Sorry. I am still fond of the guide, but it is just not well organised any more. Making comparison of forces and units just a bit too slow.
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen

Hi MortenJessen

Thanks again for the feedback, positive or negative. It helps to determine the cause of any confusion and hopefully makes Le FUSIL a better guide. You are probably not alone in your opinion.

Just to clarify, no Grenadiers are listed under the Light Infantry category. They are included in Line Infantry when they are the sole Grenadier unit available to a faction.

Light Infantry units were broken down into further sub-groups (Skirmishers, Rangers, Riflemen) when the opportunity existed with larger factions such as England or the US. They are all Light Infantry.

The grouping of units is based mostly on CA’s labeling and other aesthetic or statistical considerations I have made. I added the Ranger and Riflemen sub-category due to their unit name and ranged-weapon capabilities respectively. The same may apply to Cavalry units, though I did forget to label the 3 Prussian Hussar units as “Hussars” instead of Light Cavalry. Here are the general categories:

Infantry
    Light Infantry (sub: Skirmishers, Rangers, Riflemen)
    Line Infantry (sub: Elite, Grenadiers)
    Cavalry
    Light Cavalry (sub: Dragoons, Lancers, Hussars)
    Heavy Cavalry

One of the reasons for the guide’s new format was the addition of the Elite Units of America. The faction pages were running out of space so the redundant or repeating Artillery units received a page of their own. Having the units in a straight line (cost/early/late) format was already available and repeated on the inter-faction comparison pages for late units so I felt free to explore a new way to present the faction units sans artillery.

The new groupings were created so that readers could get a better idea of what “unit types” are available to a faction rather than just the simple and obvious “infantry” or “cavalry” unit.

All said and done, the well intended changes may not have had the same or better results as hoped. I am still looking into the matter and seeing what improvements can be made with labeling or their omission all together.

Thanks again and feel free to comment again.

Hi there Brandy.
    What I meant with grenadiers listed as light infantry, is of course USA where they, besides the 4, is placed under riflemen. Sorry. When you are correct you are correct.
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen

Do you think adding all the other factions would be redundant, brandybarrel? BTW, could you list all the factions for each ship?

Hi there Brandy.
    What I meant with grenadiers listed as light infantry, is of course USA where they, besides the 4, is placed under riflemen. Sorry. When you are correct you are correct.
    Hi MortenJessen
    You are correct regarding the unfortunate placement of the Grenadiers under a Light Infantry (Riflemen) category, albeit with a superscript.

I missed that when I was reviewing Le FUSIL in my response above. Apologies…

Do you think adding all the other factions would be redundant, brandybarrel? BTW, could you list all the factions for each ship?

Fire-dweller, adding all factions may prove redundant and moreover kill me. A lot of time and energy is involved.

Regarding the factions for each ship, I don’t recall many differences, similar to artillery. Pretty much all factions have access to the same ships. There are only some stat differences among the British, US, French, and Spanish vessels. Those differences are listed at the bottom of the Navy page.
    Last edited by brandybarrel; January 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Hi there Brandybarrel.
    In my efforts to come up with an alternative to only making criticism, I have made an analyzes of your guide. The solution I came up with is, not surprisingly, to reduce the number of categories. Here it comes:

Only 4 infantry classes:

Melee, incl. pike and melee-mob.
    Line Infantry, incl. musket-mob and militia.
    Light Infantry, including all infantry with range longer than 70.
    Elite/Special Infantry, incl. grenadiers and hand-mortars.

Three cavalry classes:

Dragoons, incl. Kalmuks (and all other rifle/musket armed cavalry, maybe even elephants with rifles/muskets?).
    Cavalry, incl. light cavalry (hussars)
    Elite/Special cavalry, incl. lancers and elephants.

Cannons and Ships are not of any concern to me, since that part of the guide is perfect.
    I hope this helps as inspiration, since, my own guess, I can not make you do it....
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen
    Last edited by MortenJessen; January 26, 2010 at 03:39 AM.

Hi MortenJessen

Thanks for the input. Both your “criticisms” and suggestions are being considered.

As I had mentioned several posts earlier, I had my concerns and will make some changes for Le FUSIL.

If the Elite Units of the East DLC is not forthcoming or abandoned, then I will go ahead with releasing an updated version.

Thanks again for your interest and effort, really.

The Elite East DLC has been announced today!

Why dont you work in CA?
    What the hell happened to this WORLD?

Libertus

Since the Elite Units of the East DLC is out now:

Are you (Brandybarrel) working on an updated version of Le FUSIL? And if so could you give us an ETA?