Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Villain/Antagonist/Boss in a Videogame

So who or what do you think is the best Villain/Antagonist/Boss in a videogame? Please list your reasons as to why do you think he/she/it is the best. Was it because of the fight, the plot, the story? What is it that is so great? Oh, and, try to avoid spoilers.

Jon Irenicus - Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

My all time #1 favorite. The actual fight with Irenicus is not that special or different from any of the other big fights in the game. However, it is the story and plot behind him that really make Irenicus shine. The guy's ambition as well as the way he screws you and Imoen over from the very begining just makes you hate his guts. When you learn his backstory, his reasons as to why he did what he did, one starts to feel a bit sorry for him. However, the sense of satisfaction when I finally killed that bastard was inmense. There is no other villan that I know of that really made me want to be there for real so I could see his body torn asunder.

Yellow 13 and the Aquila (aka Yellow) Squadron - Ace Combat 4

When you finally get to fight them for real, just you against their five plane formation it is the most amazing and challenging fight in the entire game. However what trully makes them shine is the story, it shows you that those you fight are real human beings. That fight really gives you a real sense of accomplishment at emerging victorious, as well as feelings of compassion for those pilots that you shot down.

For some reason I can't think of any others at the moment. If any others come to mind I'll will post them.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Check
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Depends on what you meant - if you mean first impression or long lasting memorys.
    first impression: the best antagonist was the RTW AI. this is of course because the last RTS I played was warcraft 3. this was all in the days before I knew how to flank, before I knew about the tactics I can use to rout the AI with extreme ease. the first thing I see in alot of my battles is most of my army routing. I was too used to the fight to the death style *ntw*

Long lasting memories: this is harder, much harder. the first thing that came into my mind was Anderial (the act 1 boss of D2) I still work up a cold sweat whenever when I face her with my level 8 chars. I can't even count the number of chars I lost to her. (that is because I insist on facing her before I hit level 9, by myself but then I just stink at D2.)

Jon Irenicus in BG2 was awesome, and was made all the better by his voicing of the lead antogonist from Tron.

Amellisan in the Throne of Bhaal was really good too, and quite unexpected. But hands down, I think Irenicus is the best.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

What a great question. There are so many possibilities. Off the top of my head,

Yxunomei the Marilith in Icewind Dale I, because of her backstory and greater implication of her death when you fight Belhifet, and the fact that she masquerades as a creepy little girl playing goddess to the Yuan'ti

Ganondorf in the Legend of Zelda series, especially Link To The Past. The idea of a simple murderous thief gaining the whim of the Triforce, the Golden Power, and creating a dystopia based on his twisted desires was rad.

Ugh'Zan III in Serious Sam, because he's so freakin huge

Revan (yourself) in Knights of the Old Republic, anyone who's played will understand

The Transcendent One in Planescape:Torment, because the concept of a cumunilative (sp?) being based on the sins of an immortal life is badass. The fallen angel was a decent and believable conflicted villain. All of the Baatezu NPC's. Morte. Annah's father.

Jon Irenicus and Bohdi were punks. The Sarevok/cronies battle at the end of BGI was fairly intense, as were the battles leading up to it....Cloudwulfe with that halberd....Tazok....and Sarevok's lover R.I.P. The best and most engaging fight for me in the Baldurs Gate series was beneath one of the brothels
    against those two assassins the guy and girl....one of them had permanent blur....

Getting misty eyed just thinking about their challenge line. "Theyre the Reeeaaaalll Deal." Heh.
    Being level 7 was never so much fun.

The tanner serial killer quest line in BG II........

BGII was a major disapointment for me. They spent so much time and effort developing a backstory of your torturers and hunters and entire massive world out of what was basically a fight for survival and birthright in and under Amn, rather than exploring further into your quest for power, and the other Children of Bhaal which seemed rushed in Throne.
    Series really deserved a trilogy.

The *Ultimate* game antagonist is.......I would have to say......and this is a cop out because I'm tired as hell and can't think of the perfect individual out of the hundreds of games ive played, and this is a TW forum.....

The Almayads, in M:TW. It was during my Danish campaign. They took all of Spain, France, and England, Northern Italy, and all of Africa. It was insane. There were camels in Sweden. Crusades were being issued every turn. They were unstoppable. Only time ive ever lost a campaign in a TW game, including Shogun, with Ironman rules. The AI in Rome doesnt come close to as aggressive and expansionist the Muslim powers were in M:TW.

Oh, all of the Dynasty Warrior bosses, Goro in MKI, Andross in Starfox...some of the capital ship battles against Rhineland in Freelancer................................ and Vader, Vader kicks ******
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

hmm..

Sephiroth comes to mind first. Not because he's the best, but because he stood out. When you fight him at the end of FFVII, with the creepy but intense music in the background, it's just.. epic.

Next.. lesse.. This probably doesn't count, but the first Russian level in Call of Duty, where you're entering Stalingrad, is breathtaking.

Liquid Snake, at the end of Metal Gear Solid. That fight was also very intense.

"The Boss" at the end of Metal Gear Solid III. With the theme song playing in the background, and the field of beautifully rendered white flowers, the battle was simply amazing.
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

solid's Avatar Civitate

Same here. Although I really like Psycho Mantis as well.

My two favorites are....

Albedo from Xenosaga - most insane villian ever.
    Irenicus from Baldurs Gate 2 - excellently written
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

The senate in RTW

Originally posted by Gelatinous Cube@Apr 30 2005, 01:40 AM
    hmm..

Sephiroth comes to mind first. Not because he's the best, but because he stood out. When you fight him at the end of FFVII, with the creepy but intense music in the background, it's just.. epic.

Next.. lesse.. This probably doesn't count, but the first Russian level in Call of Duty, where you're entering Stalingrad, is breathtaking.

"The Boss" at the end of Metal Gear Solid III. With the theme song playing in the background, and the field of beautifully rendered white flowers, the battle was simply amazing.
    I agree with you completely on each and every one of those. I would add to the list:

Kuja (yes, he looks like a girl, but he's awesome&#33
    The final boss battle of Chrono Cross ... with the awesome music playing and stuff. I was probably sweating with righteous fervor as I beat the thing up the first time. I was really, really angry at that big ol' dragon.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Originally posted by Justinian@Apr 30 2005, 05:48 PM

The final boss battle of Chrono Cross ... with the awesome music playing and stuff. I was probably sweating with righteous fervor as I beat the thing up the first time. I was really, really angry at that big ol' dragon.
    You're thinking of the thing that flies around? That wasn't the last boss in Chrono Cross. I don't think the last boss actually had any music.

Whoops, memory blank!

I don't mean the last boss, I mean the next-to-last or something ... or whatever ... bah, it's been too long since I've played it. I mean the boss battle where *SPOILER* all the dragons have met together and you get to fight the big ol' thing, not the Time Devourer.

Sorry. :blush

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

either Lavos from Chrono Trigger or Sephiroth from FFVII
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

The Dahaka in POP:WW. Hated runnning from him and he was a pain in the *** the first few times I fought him.

come on, someone else has to say Albedo.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Anyone remember Wasteland, that post-nuclear RPG in the C64 era? Finster - that warlord who has set up shop in an old US base. Max psych-out. Plays perverted mind games with you, the thing Neuromancer (in the game) never quite accomplished. "Cue ball in corner pocket - see, I call my shots!". I didn't get to finish Pools of Radiance, else I would possibly say Thyranthraxus (sp?).

"Akabar con lo establecido,
    poner fin a la disciplina,
    borrar más de mil normas sin sentido...

¡Anarkía y cerveza fría!
    Sin más fronteras ke las de la propia vida."
    -- Disidencia

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

the head of the enclaves in fallout II

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Vlad from Max Payne 2 is pretty cool. "Max, dearest of all my firends... I was supposed to be the hero..."
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

I always liked Revolver Ocelot from the MGS series. He fits perfectly as a villian in that series but would also not seem out of place in a Clint Eastwood western.

I also must say I agree about Irenicus, he is the most satifying to take down in the end of the game. I can also enjoy some of his lines as well.

Originally posted by Justinian@Apr 30 2005, 08:13 PM
    Whoops, memory blank!

I don't mean the last boss, I mean the next-to-last or something ... or whatever ... bah, it's been too long since I've played it. I mean the boss battle where *SPOILER* all the dragons have met together and you get to fight the big ol' thing, not the Time Devourer.

Sorry. :blush
    Yup, that one was awsome too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast