Thread: Looking for veried Genre's of Music!

ErikinWest's Avatar Civitate

I'm going to go on a massive CD splurge and I need some ideas. Right now I will buy anything, here are some of my ideas:

The Cars
    The Doors
    Jefferson Starship & Airplane
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Buena Vista Social Club
    London Orchestra

Looking for your opinions!

Music is the pinnacle of civilization and Jazz is the apex.
    Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.
    Under the patronage of Chandrashekar Azad.

Frank Zappa, my god of music

Duke Ellington, if you're into Jazz

Terry Bozzio, an outstanding drummer
    The more you expect from life, the more your expectations will be fullfilled. By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. The more you love, the more you will be loved. The more you give, the more you will recieve

Get something like 'The Complete Elgar', make sure that it has Pomp and Circumstane #1 & 2 and his first two symphonies. In Cockneye Town is also a nice piece by Elgar.

Go classical music! It has the endurance, so that it will still sound good and be relevant in abother twenty or however many years.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum
    Age of Hellas Map: |*******???|

If you're into alternative rock, try:

Wilco

The Strokes (my favorite band! )

Weezer

Hot Hot Heat

If your into the really different try my favorite genre German Indutrial/Metal :cool

1. The already famous and loved Rammstein :w00t http://herzeleid.com/

2. One of my favorites and little less known EisBrecher ( Ice Brecher)http://www.eis-brecher.com/en

3. Megaherz

4. Oopmh ( weird Name good band)

5. Stahlhammer

Herzileid has the links to the other sites if you interested
    Willkommen ihr Kinder des Lichts
    Ihr seid willkommen-Willkommen im
    Herzlich Willkommen im nichts

solid's Avatar Civitate

Leonard Cohen (don't know if its spelled correctly) is good I think.

ErikinWest's Avatar Civitate

Ah! Leonard Cohen! The Quebecois man he spells his life in his monotone poems!

It's ok L.C. has some great songs.

CHeers,
    Erik

Music is the pinnacle of civilization and Jazz is the apex.
    Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.
    Under the patronage of Chandrashekar Azad.

Originally posted by TheRedGoblin@Apr 30 2005, 05:52 PM
    If your into the really different try my favorite genre German Indutrial/Metal :cool

1. The already famous and loved Rammstein :w00t http://herzeleid.com/

2. One of my favorites and little less known EisBrecher ( Ice Brecher)http://www.eis-brecher.com/en

3. Megaherz

4. Oopmh ( weird Name good band)

5. Stahlhammer

Herzileid has the links to the other sites if you interested
    Rammstein seconded. They are the shiznit!

Angered Roach's Avatar Miles

Dead Can Dance - Interesting band...pretty good variety of music. Most of their older stuff has some punk inspiration, while they went into a kind of tribal kick with their later songs. Liza Gerard, the female vocalist of this band did the vocals for Gladiator.

Finntroll - The band that provided the lyrics in my signature. They're a Finnish black metal band. Most of their songs tell the story of the Trolls and pagan-men rising up to push the "Tribe Of Christ" back out of Finland. I'm uncertain what the Finnish board-goers will make of that. :p

Blind Guardian - A German power-metal band. These guys are stuck in the '80s, a fact that's readily evident just by looking at their faces on the album sleeve, which becomes even more readily apparent by listening to the music. Tolkien's works provided the inspiration for most of their music, including an entire album, by the name of "Nightfall In Middle Earth".

Battlelore - These guys as well, draw a very big inspiration from Tolkien in their music. They're a very heavy sound, like Finntroll, but they've also got a woman who does a very beautiful set of vocals, and if there is anything I love in music, it's a girl with a good voice.

Tori Amos - Beautiful piano, good voice. Does a lot of work with other musicians.

Björk - She has a tendency to sound either very beautiful, or just way out there. Strange sound, but good at times.

Tool - A very interesting band, who does most of their music about abstract concepts and philosophy. The thing I really love about this band is, no instrument overpowers the others. I usually don't notice the bass in other songs, for instance, until it stops, but here, I hear it just as well as I hear the guitar, and the vocals, and the drum as well. All is good.

A Perfect Circle - This band is Maynard James Keenan's (vocalist from Tool) other band. These guys have a different sound than tool, though i'm not really certain how to describe it.

Flogging Molly - A mix of traditional celtic music, and modern punk. Interesting sound.

Nobody mentioned the Beatles? Great stuff.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Flogging Molly!
    Opeth
    Agalloch
    Christy Moore

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default Re: Looking for veried Genre's of Music!

Quote Originally Posted by solid
    Leonard Cohen (don't know if its spelled correctly) is good I think.
    He is. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikinWest
    I'm going to go on a massive CD splurge and I need some ideas. Right now I will buy anything, here are some of my ideas:

The Cars
    The Doors
    Jefferson Starship & Airplane
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Buena Vista Social Club
    London Orchestra

Looking for your opinions!
    Bob Marley & the Wailers!: He's the simply greatest! A true genius and he's backed by the best band as well. You can divide his music into two parts 1963-1971 and 1972-1981.

1963-1971: Mostly ska and rocksteady but reggae on the latter phase.
    1972-1981: Staggering watershed period. Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer broke off and the Wailers became his sole band.

Judging from your bands you listed, I recommend these albums: Kaya, Exodus, Uprising, Survival. After which you can get Rastaman Vibration, Natty Dread, Burnin', Catch A Fire and Confrontation (all studio albums from 72-81, except for Confrontation which is post-humous). Marley NEVER wrote a single bad song (no exaggeration). Even his unreleased/unfinished/demo/acoustic songs are amazing (the Confrontation album is an example). Lastly he has two official live albums in his lifetime: Live!!! and Babylon by Bus (both of which are excellent).

Also check out Peter Tosh's albums: Equal Rights, Legalize It, Bush Doctor, Mystic Man, Wanted: Dread & Alive, Mama Africa as well as various live cds particularly Complete Captured Live (double cd).

Maiden Metallica Megadeath
    GO THE ROOS!
    stuck in the electric chair....this cant be happening to me.....ride the Lightning!

If you want some awesome Metal then check out..

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
    Dodheimsgard - 666 International
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    Morgion - Cloaked in Ages, Crowned in Earth
    Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude
    Enslaved - Isa
    Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
    Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
    Blood Red Throne - Affiliated with the Suffering
    Graveland - Thousand Swords
    Summoning - Stronghold
    Windir - Likferd
    Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
    Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty

I'll leave it there, I'd end up with some huge list

HappeR's Avatar Semisalis

OutKast
    Goodie Mob
    Cool Breeze (or Coool Breeez, if you prefer that)
    Backbone
    Witchdoctor
    Lil Will
    P.A.

In short: the Dungeon Family (first generation)

P.S. If I put the second generation in it too my hands will hurt like hell

www.dungeoneze.com (their site, still under construction, but the forums are already there )