Thread: Installing MODS - for the Peasant = help please

Default Installing MODS - for the Peasant = help please

Hello,

First thanks for all the mods you guys and gals rock, love all the total war series and many thanks.

I consider my self in the chain of MODS as the lowly peasant, not the Household cavalry. Basically my experience in install MODS is dragging jpg.files over other jpg.files like for Combat Mission long ago. Or installing self extracting files like Stainless Steal that basically just do it all.

So tonight I tried to install the 4 new mods, razors Brits, warmachines light brits, waronmars spanish and the prussians mod. All I managed to do was change my brits line inf to white LOL. I was omg what the heck, all these instructions say just download them to the steam\steamapps\common\empire\total war\ data file. so I do I extract them right there.

This didn't make sense to me because nothing was being overwritten, but I trusted the instructions, after the mods didn't work I found a article about how every thing is in patch format, the ETW has some kind of order and recognizes stuff in a 3 way check, with mods being last, that if error defaults back to originals. Trouble is I don't see anything in these downloads about scripts, don't all these mods need scripts to work?

I basically a lonely peasant here that is totally confused, wouldn't these files have to go into specific files beyond data for example brit line inf, I am on Windows XP. I am sure others are having problems. I ask the Nobles of modding to have mercy on us peasants masses to understand and to release MODS to public us common people can use and understand.

We can admire the art work and enjoy the historical accurate uniforms without understanding the science of how the color red was created to make the paint.

We need help here, heck even pic by pic what we need to do.

Thank you
    Last edited by agsimpson67; March 23, 2009 at 01:54 AM.

Default Re: Installing MODS - for the Peasant = help please

testing

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...57#post4703457

Notice, that only pack-files and script-files can be installed directly w/ JGMSE

Thank you very much wiltzei for you link which helped alot. I toke awhile but I finally figured out with that mod tool how to use most the mods. Being offered in these forumns.

Maybe this will help others lost on using mods with patch files etc. I few HINTS are these.

First download the the MOD tool from the the link above in wiltzei post and install into that your main ETW directory. BEFORE you do this CREATE a new file in that main ETW directory called MODS and install the mod tool into that.

The install will also create a great desktop icon you use to pick your mods from. Now before you download a mod say the smoke and blood mod. Go into your main ETW directory, double click on mods (the file you created), then create a file say call it smoke and blood, then with in that file create another new file called DATA. IN this DATA file is where put the new MOD.
    Each additional MOD get its own new file with a name you choose and with that file you creat a DATA file.

When you double click on the desktop icon a box will come up and all you do is click on the mod and send it over to use section on the right. When you load game it will work.

What is great is you can keep your original files in game and choose mods freely.

I recommend at first trying a small mod like say change one texture uniform till get hang of it.

Good luck, I am sure many modders since game has come out are lacking in sleep from playing game and modding so eventually I sure all the armies will be done top notch will historical uniforms, this game is awesome and has a huge fan base already.

Good luck

The mod tool is called Jonesoft - Generic Mod enabler at http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/sof...cts-jsgme.html

Let me know if this has helped anyone.