Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Historical Regions and Provinces Research Project

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Default Historical Regions and Provinces Research Project

Historical Regions and Provinces Research Project

I decided to start a grand research project of regions and provinces which is aimed to recreate the realism of the Empire setting period and to focus more on strategy in the game. I look for the people with some historical skills and good general knowledge about specific parts of the world.

We all notice the map now is much bigger challenge than in Rome or Medieval II as we not only have provinces and capitals, but villages, industry, agriculture and so on in the field. So now we really must painstakingly cover a province after province to finally get the global picture of 1700's.

We also face the extreme challenge of administrative changes of revolutionary and Napoleonic era. So we will do the best to present it in the way which would fit both in the historical corectness and game ballance.

But there are also good news: as far as we know there's no province limit in the game. The problem might be how the game (and our hardware) would react with such a number of regions.

The ultimate goal is to create a realism mod with accurate provinces on the game map but not inflicting major harm to the game ballance. More: some factors included in the mod actually should reverse the overpowered factions like Russia or Great Britain.

The utmost model is Rome Total Realism, which was not only extremally well done from the historical point of view, but also kept the game ballance on the very high levels. Other model to follow is Europa Universalis III for its complexity and strategy. The project is meant to be usable with other modifications.

For now we work on provinces: its shape and its nationality.
    Also we want to make most of the factions playable.
    I'm still not sure whether the starting date should be 1700. We might alter it to the other time (what I have in mind is 1648, 1683, 1703, 1707 and 1713).

Later we think about adding some new factions. First to go are Ukraine (Zaporozhian Cossacks) - a protectorate of Russia, and the second is Hungary - a vassal of Austria during the Rakoczi Uprising.

Most important thing will be to reduce the expansionist power of Russia and Great Britain. From my game experience I noticed these factions are extremally overpowered in the beggining of the game. So I'd love to increase the possibilities of Russian peasant revolts (like the Pugachev's Rebellion in 1773-74 and some minor before and later) and Irish and Scottish rebellions in Britain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible future features:

- a chance to move the capitals (best example would be Russian Saint Peterburg, one of the most impressive cities I've ever seen, built at the mouths of river Neva near the former settlement of Nyen).

- more special buildings (like Zwinger Palace in Dresden or Teatro alla Scala in Milan).

- improved diplomacy as well. One - the protectorates should be included in the victory conditions as conquered provinces. Two - if you vassalize a country it may rebel against you sooner or later. Three - if you annect a country, it rebelles immediatly and you recieve a note of protest from all other major powers and your relations suffer. We sholuld also limit foreign policy of the protectorates; for sure they shouldn't be allowed to declare a war by themselves.

- make possible to build some industrial and cultural buildings in the cities (like manufactures, iron workshops, universities, theatres etc.).

- regional micromanagment resulting in a possibility to recruit some units in the field (like militias, peasants and similar) and to draw taxes only under the conditions of political stability.

- agents (at least rakes/spies) should be recruitable.

- bribes, especially to make the foreign spies work for you and to corrupt some members of enemy government.

- if it proves to be true we want to reinstall back the family trees with crossed nationality monarch families and rivalries.

- double recruitment (just an idea, but maybe possible): in the first turn the unit is recruited as a conscript (with basic stats) and after one more turn in the recruitment queue becomes regular (with better stats, but of course for a double price).

- and, of course, more factions (Hungary, Ukraine, Wallachia, Moldavia, Swiss Confederacy, and so on).

We must keep in mind it was the census which always was the base of any administrative divisions. So if we want to recreate the regions of the XVIII century we need to know exactly how many people lived in the specific area. A Russian province of the age, even though much bigger territorially, couldn't match the German or Dutch province where simply lived more people.

All factors must depend on census: tax income, army, possibilities of development, etc.

Since I'm from Poland I will start with the region I know the best and also its neighbours.

But I need people who could take care of country by country. Since the map files (descr_prov and similar) aren't found yet for a time matter we don't concentrate on game map changes. For now.

Actually involved:

Errabundi (chief coordinator, researcher)
    Fedakyn (researcher)

Major contributors:

Simon754
    RussianBoyar
    Ziem

Last updated (18.07.2009 23.00 CET). Wait for more to come.

To the Moderators: it's not only a research thread but also a mod thread so before you move this to the research section, please read this part and stop.
    Last edited by Errabundi; July 18, 2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: more features, updates
    So finally I bought Total War: Rome 2. Regarding I payed 7.5$ for it, it's not a bad game at all!

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Historical Regions and Provinces Research Project

This is the one we're starting from.

I disagree with one region countries like France or Spain as it's historically and practically unmotivated. Also it's unballancing the game because we have divided Poland and Russia (which gives the opponents some easy pickings) and uncoquerable France and Britain.

Since we don't have the unpacker I only work on the map and provinces' shape. Some regions will go to the different factions (ex. Pommerania to Sweden). Some other will stop to exist (France will be divided) while further will change its borders.

1.Europe.

Or a different method of work (much simplier actually):

http://maps.google.pl/maps/ms?ie=UTF...912109&t=k&z=4

Austria - 9 provinces: Austria (Vienna), Styria (Graz), Carinthia (Klagenfurt), Tyrol (Innsbruck), Carniola (Laibach), Bohemia (Prague), Moravia (Brünn), Silesia (Breslau), Croatia (Agram).

Thanks to Simon's advice I removed Dalmatia and gave it to Venice.

Hungary will start as a separate faction because early 1700's are the time of the Rakoczi Uprising against the Habsburgs. There's no need to add more.

Protectorate - Hungary, 4 provinces: Felvidék (Pozsony), Transdanubia (Buda), Alföld (Pest), Transylvania (Kolozsvár).

Please, do not complain about the term Felvidék as it was the name of the region of the time. I know some might want to change it to Slovakia, but this one didn't appear until WWII.

Denmark - to be done.

France - to be done.

Great Britain - to be done.

Ottoman Empire - to be done.

Protectorate - Crimean Khanate, at least 2 provinces: Crimea (Bakhchisaray) and Yedisan (Odessa).

Persia - to be done.

Poland-Lithuania actually has 13 regions, instead of 5. Provinces: Mazovia (Warsaw), Greater Poland (Poznań), Lesser Poland (Kraków), King's Prussia (Gdańsk), Galicia (Lwów), Podolia (Kamieniec Podolski), Volhynia (Łuck), Polesia (Brześć Litewski), Lithuania (Vilnius), Samogitia (Varniai), Vitebsk (Vitebsk), Belarus (Minsk), Right-bank Ukraine (Zhytomyr).

Protectorate - Courland: 1 province: Courland (Mitava).

In personal union with Saxony.

As for the eastern provinces of the Republic I still have in mind the shape of the Russian Empire's governorates, so probably we will adjust it in near time.

Portugal - to be done.

Prussia - 3 provinces: Brandenburg (Berlin), Duchal Prussia (Königsberg), Altmark (Magdeburg).

Protectorate - Westphalia, Westphalia (Münster).

In the year 1700 Prussia also owned half of Pomerania (the other part belonged to Sweden), so I look forward for some solutions to this problem. In my opinion since the region's capital (Stettin) was in Swedish hands, it should belong to Sweden. The other trouble came with the Prussian exclaves of Osnabrück, Kleve, Minden and Mark. As they all lie (relativly) close I decided to make Westphalia Prussian protectorate to represent its limited influence on local politics (thanks to some feedback on the forum). But please, give some more opinions.

Spain - to be done.

Russia - at least 28 (sic!) provinces: Muscovy (Moscow), Tver (Tver), Yaroslavl (Yaroslavl), Vladimir (Vladimir), Ryazan (Ryazan), Tula (Tula), Kaluga (Kaluga), Smolensk (Smolensk), Pskov (Pskov), Novgorod (Novgorod), Petrovskaya Sloboda (Karelia), Arkhangelsk (Arkhangelsk), Vologda (Vologda), Nizhnyi Novgorod (Nizhnyi Novgorod ), Kostroma (Kostroma), Vyatka (Vyatka), Perm (Perm), Ufa (Ufa), Kazan (Kazan), Orenburg (Orenburg), Samara (Samara), Don Voisko Lands (Cherkassk), Nikopol (Nikopol), Kharkov (Kharkov), Voronezh (Voronezh), Tambov (Tambov), Penza (Penza), Simbirsk (Simbirsk).

Protectorate - Ukraine, 3 provinces: Ukraine (Kiev), Hetmanate (Baturin) and Zaporozhia (Sich).

Probaly it's too much. I waged a long fight with myself just to start the work with Russian Empire and I found it really hard. If someone has some better propositions in this case it's really apprecciated. I'd love to see (or hear) some feedback from Russians, who would tell me which provinces are really redundant and which of them we can remove. I spent over a day on it and if you find some inaccuracies, please tell.

I know the borders aren't too correct, but I got confused with the CA map's perspective and that's the effect.

Sweden - 12 provinces: Svealand (Stockholm), Götaland (Linköping), Skåneland (Lund), Norrland (Gävle), Österbotten (Uleåborg), Finland (Åbo), Nyslottslän (Olofsborg), Kexholm (Kexholm), Ingria (Saint Petersburg), Estonia (Reval), Livonia (Riga), Pomerania (Stettin).

Protectorate - Bremen (Bremen). The duchy (former Archbishopric) remained in the personal union with the Swedish crown. It will be a thorn in the Swedish back because of its differences in faith.

United Provinces - 2 regions in Europe: Holland (Amsterdam) and Frisia (Leeuwarden).

Venice - to be done.

Of course still this project involves a check of the provinces' borders, so don't treat it as the ultimate shape. Once we will have the tools to mod the map files in the game you'll know the rest.

Last updated (16.07.2009 23.24 CET).
    Last edited by Errabundi; July 16, 2009 at 04:24 PM.
    So finally I bought Total War: Rome 2. Regarding I payed 7.5$ for it, it's not a bad game at all!

This is my proposal map in this project. I added nine new countries (independent: Mecklenburg, Switzerland, Tuscany, Cologne, Hessen, Palatinate and turkish protectorates: Montenegro, Wallachia and Moldova) and liquidated artificial country "Westphalia" - part of it should be a prussian region:

Provinces' list:
    - Great Britain - England (London), Scotland (Edinburgh), Wales
    (Cardiff), Ireland (Dublin)
    - France - Alsace & Lorraine (Strasbourg), Île-de-France (
    Paris), Guyenne & Gascony (Bordeaux), Normandy (Rouen),
    Brittany (Rennes), Burgundy (Dijon), Champagne (Reims),
    Languedoc & Provence (Marseille), Poitou (Poitiers)
    - Spain - Gibraltar (Gibraltar), Flanders & Brabant (Brussels),
    Lombardy (Milan), Naples (Naples), Sardinia (Cagliari), Sicily
    (Palermo), Andalusia (Seville), Catalonia (Barcelona), Castile
    (Madrid), León (León), Aragon (Saragossa), Valencia (Valencia),
    Basque Country (Pamplona)
    - Portugal - Alentejo (Lisbon), Beira (Porto)
    - United Provinces - Holland (Amsterdam)
    - Holy Roman Empire: Württemberg (Stuttgart), Bavaria (Munich),
    Cologne (Cologne), Hessen (Kassel) , Palatinate (Mannheim),
    Hanover (Hanover), Saxony (Dresden), Mecklenburg (Schwerin),
    Prussia - Brandenburg (Berlin), Duchal Prussia (Königsberg),
    Westphalia (Osnabrück)
    - North Italy - Savoy (Torino), Genoa - Liguria (Genoa),
    Corsica (Ajaccio), Tuscany (Florence), Papal States (Rome),
    Venice - Venice (Venice), Dalmatia (Split), Morea (Patras)
    - Switzerland (Bern)
    - Austria - Austria (Vienna), Tyrol (Innsbruck), Bohemia &
    Moravia (Prague), Silesia (Breslau), Croatia (Agram), Lower
    Hungary (Pest) Transylvania (Kolozsvár), Upper Hungary (
    Pozsony)
    - Denmark - Denamark (Copenhagen), Norway (Christiania),
    Iceland (Reykjavík), Holstein (Kiel)
    - Sweden - Sweden (Stockholm), Skaneland (Lund), Finland (Abo),
    Pomerania (Stettin), Ingria (Petersburg), Estonia (Reval),
    Livonia (Riga)
    - Poland-Lithuania - Mazovia (Warsaw), Greater Poland (Poznań),
    Lesser Poland (Kraków), King's Prussia (Gdańsk), Galicia (Lwów
    ), Podolia (Kamieniec), Volhynia (Łuck), Polesia (Brześć),
    Lithuania (Vilnius), Belarus (Minsk), Left-bank Ukraine (
    Zhytomyr)
    - Malta (Valletta)
    - Courland (Mitava), Crimean Khanate (Bakhchisaray)
    - Russia - Right-bank Ukraine (Kiev), Zaporozhia (Sich),
    Muscovy (Moscow), Yaroslavl (Yaroslavl), Ryazan (Ryazan),
    Smolensk (Smolensk), Novgorod (Novgorod), Karelia - (
    Petrovskaya Sloboda), Arkhangelsk (Arkhangelsk), Nizhnyi
    Novgorod (Nizhnyi Novgorod), Bashkortostan (Ufa), Tatarstan (
    Kazan), Don Voisko Lands (Cherkassk), Kharkov (Kharkov),
    Voronezh (Voronezh), Kalmykia (Astrakhan), Komi (Ust-Sysolsk)
    - Ottoman Empire - Bosnia (Sarajevo), Serbia (Belgrade),
    Bulgaria (Sofia), Rumelia (Stamboul), Albania (Durazzo), Greece
    (Athens), Yedisan (Ochakiv), Budjak (Akkerman), Circassia (
    Sujuk-Qale), West Anatolia (Ankara), East Anatolia (Trabzon),
    Armenia (Yerevan), Mesopotamia (Baghdad), Palestine (Jerusalem
    ), Cyprus (Nicosia), Syria (Damascus), Egypt (Cairo), Barqah (
    Benghazi), Kurdistan (Mosul)
    - Moldova (Iaşi), Wallachia (Bucharest), Montenegro (Cetinje).
    Changes in America:
    - split Hispaniola to Dominicana (spanish) - Santo Domingo and
    Haiti (french) - L'Hôpital
    - add Puerto Rico (spanish) - San Juan
    + rename "Guatemala" to "Honduras"
    Last edited by Simon754; April 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Ziem's Avatar Civis

Hey, that's great Errabundi and Simon754. Look both hopefull! +rep for the both of you

Z.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

We 've just agreed with Simon754 that it would be good to give Westphalia to Kingdom of Prussia. There are at least two reasons: 1. Some of it already belonged to Prussia in 1700th, 2. Napoleon during his campaigns in Europe created Kingdom of Westphalia (another French protectorate).

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

OK. The Croatian question is solved since 1527 Habsburgs were also crowned as kings of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia. I'm adjusting the map.

Ziem's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Errabundi View Post
    We 've just agreed with Simon754 that it would be good to give Westphalia to Kingdom of Prussia. There are at least two reasons: 1. Some of it already belonged to Prussia in 1700th, 2. Napoleon during his campaigns in Europe created Kingdom of Westphalia (another French protectorate).

Just a thought but why don't you make it a protectorate? Prussia only had a limited influence on Westphalia until 1806. Most of its duchies were catholic and didn't like the protestant Prussia a lot hence the Westphalian sovereignty.

Z.

PS. great that you also will split up mainland France. Makes it a lot more challanging.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

I've added Sweden but I still need some things to clarify. Especially I'm intertested in the population of Scania and Norrland and its administrative centers, because I am not sure what cities were the capitals of these regions in the 1700's.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ziem View Post
    Just a thought but why don't you make it a protectorate? Prussia only had a limited influence on Westphalia until 1806. Most of its duchies were catholic and didn't like the protestant Prussia a lot hence the Westphalian sovereignty.
    It's really a good idea. We'll think about it.

PS. great that you also will split up mainland France. Makes it a lot more challanging.
    Core France and Spain MUST be divided! There's no sense in having one=province countries untill all of them are like this or you're playing Risk.

I really like that you have made Kexholm its own region. Kexholm should be the capital though, and Viborg a fort or a town at the start of the game.

The region should be something like this:
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:K%C...cation_map.PNG

Narva become the capitol of Swedish Ingermanland from 1656, after Nyen (same location as St Petersburg) was damaged. Perhaps you want to keep Nyen/St Petersburg as the capitol though.

Here's a decent map of Swedish Finland, Kexholm, Ingermanland, Estonia and Livonia and important towns 1700:
    http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehogman/symb...serna_1700.gif

The capital of Norrland should probably be Gävle, it is the oldest and during the time probably economically most important town in Norrland.

Here's a decent map of Sweden 1700:
    http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehogman/symb...ge_1700_L2.gif

If possible, I would suggest adding Bohuslän and Jämtland to Sweden. Both were ex-Norwegian lands. I would also suggest splitting Pommerania into Vorpommern and Hinterpommern, with Vorpommern being Swedish and Hinterpommern being Prussian.

The Scanian region (I suggest to call it "Skåneland" when it includes Halland and Blekinge) should probably have Lund or Malmö as the capitol.

Swedish provinces in Germany, 1700:
    http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/symbol/k_nordtyskland_1700.gif

So, my suggestions for Swedish regions:

Region (Capitol)
    Svealand (Stockholm)
    Götaland (Linköping) - Karlskrona is a part of Skåneland in the maps you have posted.
    Skåneland (Malmö)
    Norrland (Gävle)
    Finland (Åbo)
    Kexholm (Kexholm)
    Ingria (Nyen/St Petersburg)
    Estlonia (Reval)
    Livonia (Riga)
    Vorpommerania (Stralsund) - Vor means frontal, in front of, and hinter behind, in behind of. I have no ideas how to translate that to English.
    Bremen and Verden (Stade)

Possible further regions;
    Nyslott (Villmansstrand) - this is the region Sweden lost to Russia 1743.
    Jämtland (Östersund) - former Norwegian provinnce, taken by Sweden 1645.
    Bohuslän (Uddevalla) - former Norwegian province, taken by sweden 1658.

I do not think Bremen and Verden should be its own nation, as it was unable to conduct any foreign policy, and had no army of its own at the time and no own flag, all of which protectorates in Empire Total War has.

I'd be happy to help more around the Baltic sea region, should you be interested. Do you need a list of important towns during the era?
    Last edited by von Adler; March 25, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

I'm waiting patiently for some easy instructions about adding new countries and changing shapes or creating provinces. It will be really helpful in creating realistic and historical campaign map.
    Please send me this instructions, when it will be available, in private message.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by von Adler View Post
    I really like that you have made Kexholm its own region. Kexholm should be the capital though, and Viborg a fort or a town at the start of the game.

The region should be something like this:
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:K%C...cation_map.PNG

Narva become the capitol of Swedish Ingermanland from 1656, after Nyen (same location as St Petersburg) was damaged. Perhaps you want to keep Nyen/St Petersburg as the capitol though.
    For now we leave St. Petersburg, but as long as we can't dig into the files, treat our map as a kind of sketch. As you mentioned, Nyen was destroyed and the Russians moved their capital there, so if we spoke about Nyen/Neva, most of people wouldn't know what is about.

Here's a decent map of Swedish Finland, Kexholm, Ingermanland, Estonia and Livonia and important towns 1700:
    http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehogman/symb...serna_1700.gif

The capital of Norrland should probably be Gävle, it is the oldest and during the time probably economically most important town in Norrland.

Here's a decent map of Sweden 1700:
    http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehogman/symb...ge_1700_L2.gif

If possible, I would suggest adding Bohuslän and Jämtland to Sweden. Both were ex-Norwegian lands. I would also suggest splitting Pommerania into Vorpommern and Hinterpommern, with Vorpommern being Swedish and Hinterpommern being Prussian.

The Scanian region (I suggest to call it "Skåneland" when it includes Halland and Blekinge) should probably have Lund or Malmö as the capitol.

Swedish provinces in Germany, 1700:
    http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/symbol...kland_1700.gif
    Thanks! All these maps are very, very useful. And I go for Kexholm, as it's a better name for the province and the town.

So, my suggestions for Swedish regions:

Region (Capitol)
    Svealand (Stockholm)
    Götaland (Linköping) - Karlskrona is a part of Skåneland in the maps you have posted.
    Skåneland (Lund)
    Norrland (Gävle)
    Finland (Åbo)
    Kexholm (Kexholm)
    Ingria (Nyen/St Petersburg)
    Estlonia (Reval)
    Livonia (Riga)
    Vorpommerania (Stralsund) - Vor means frontal, in front of, and hinter behind, in behind of. I have no ideas how to translate that to English.
    Bremen and Verden (Stade)

Possible further regions;
    Nyslott (Villmansstrand) - this is the region Sweden lost to Russia 1743.
    Jämtland (Östersund) - former Norwegian provinnce, taken by Sweden 1645.
    Bohuslän (Uddevalla) - former Norwegian province, taken by sweden 1658.

I do not think Bremen and Verden should be its own nation, as it was unable to conduct any foreign policy, and had no army of its own at the time and no own flag, all of which protectorates in Empire Total War has.

I'd be happy to help more around the Baltic sea region, should you be interested. Do you need a list of important towns during the era?
    I already said in the part describing Prussia that Pomerania (Hither and Farther) won't be divided. Maybe later we will think about it, but it would involve spliting a lot of other regions, especially in Germany and Austria. As for now we don't want to go that far.

Here's a few more maps.

Swedish administrative division of Finland, from 1634 and onwards:
    http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehogman/symbol/k_fin_lan.gif

The areas of Finland lost to Russia 1721 and 1743:
    http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehogman/symbol/k_finland_so.png

I like the idea about being able to set up historical borders, thus my pushing for Hither Pommerania and Farther Pommerania and Kexholm and Nyslott.

I can provide some information on Norway too, should you want it?

Ziem's Avatar Civis

I found in one of my books a map with cities and economic life at 1750. Might come in handy when you start to re-allocate the resources etc for your new regions on the map.

Z.

I suggest splitting Norway into 3 regions,
    Østlandet
    Vestlandet
    Trøndelag

The region north of Trøndelag was very sparsely populated, and anyone who controlled Trøndelag would control that area as well, so the Trøndelag region can include all land north of Trøndelag proper and be called Trøndelag and Hålogaland.

Region (Capitol)
    Østlandet (Christiania)
    Vestlandet (Bergen)
    Trøndelag and Hålogaland (Trondhjem)

Checking things further, the capitol of Skåneland should probably be Malmö, as it became more important than Lund during the 1700s and was the capitol of Generalguvernmentet Skåne unitl 1719 and then Malmöhus Län, which was the largest county of Skåneland.

Nice project. More provinces will be fine, but too much and so many small provinces can bore, make tired and sometimes spoil the game.
    You could consider few things.

1. What for so mamy small provinces and new factions put in the game?
    2. What about correction for provinces' borders, historical regions, towns locations nad their names.
    3. Game play and factions balance.

I think you know this site
    http://www.euratlas.com/history_euro..._map_1700.html
    It can helps in few questions.

Few suggestions.

Polish Lithuania:
    * improve regions' borders there,
    * Samogitia (Varniai) - maybe useless region or put Kowno there.
    * Vitebsk - include Mogilev Vivodship into Vitebsk region, then this region will be bigger anf PLC first partition will be possible in the game too.
    * Polesia (Brześć Litewski) it should be smaller region
    * Belarus (Minsk) - improve regions location
    * Royal Prussia (Gdańsk) maybe include also Warmia district there

Prussia:
    Westphalia (Munster) - Munster was not Prussian at that period. Here was big Bishopric and Prussians owned only few small exclaves at that area - Kleve, Mark, Minden, Ravensberg. Maybe change provincial capital name there.

Austria:
    Have too many small regions now and maybe Carinthia and Carniola can be as one province. Nevertheles Austria should posses more provinces. Habsburgs got Crown of Hungary from XVI century and it include Slovakia (Presburg). They also owned Transylvania region before 1700. And Rakoczi Uprasing (1703-1711) was rebelion there. Many Hungarians (Lobonc) still service for Austrians.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by exNowy View Post
    You could consider few things.

1. What for so mamy small provinces and new factions put in the game?
    2. What about correction for provinces' borders, historical regions, towns locations nad their names.
    3. Game play and factions balance.
    We do consider these things.

Quick answers (later I'll put some more in the first post):

1.Mostly for historical reasons and game ballance. When you have more provinces to fight for/ defend, there's smaller possibility of conquering all the Europe/world, etc. It definitely reduces the chances of one faction to become superpower.
    2.As stated in the 1st post it's one of the basic goals of this project, so it doesn't need any further clarification, because it was already said.
    3.The answer is already given above.

Few suggestions.

Polish Lithuania:
    * improve regions' borders there,
    * Samogitia (Varniai) - maybe useless region or put Kowno there.
    * Vitebsk - include Mogilev Vivodship into Vitebsk region, then this region will be bigger anf PLC first partition will be possible in the game too.
    * Polesia (Brześć Litewski) it should be smaller region
    * Belarus (Minsk) - improve regions location
    * Royal Prussia (Gdańsk) maybe include also Warmia district there
    Borders will be adjusted once we can get into the file. There's no need to hurry, because at the current stage it's the research project, which - once we obtain the unpacker - will be developed into a mod.

Samogitia. In my opinion it's not useless and I thought about Kaunas as its capital. It serves as a region for further expansion for other factions (especially Prussia) and gives Poland-Lithuania access to the sea (the port of Palanga).

Vitebsk. For now it's consisted of two voivodships (Vitebsk, Polock). But still open for changes.

Polesia. Shouldn't be smaller; it's the whole region of swamps down the Prypet river and it's tributaries within (almost), made by two voivodeships (Brzesko-litewskie and nowogródzkie).

Belarus. It will be adjusted as I am fully aware of it's actual bad shape (it doesn't have any political meaning ).

Prussia. No Warmia/Ermland for now. We do enough patchwork.

Prussia:
    Westphalia (Munster) - Munster was not Prussian at that period. Here was big Bishopric and Prussians owned only few small exclaves at that area - Kleve, Mark, Minden, Ravensberg. Maybe change provincial capital name there.
    If you read carefully the second post about Prussian provinces you would already know the answer. Check out above. I don't want to repeat myself again and again.

Austria:
    Have too many small regions now and maybe Carinthia and Carniola can be as one province. Nevertheles Austria should posses more provinces. Habsburgs got Crown of Hungary from XVI century and it include Slovakia (Presburg). They also owned Transylvania region before 1700. And Rakoczi Uprasing (1703-1711) was rebelion there. Many Hungarians (Lobonc) still service for Austrians.
    Austria should be strong and have a lot of provinces and that's why it has all the lands included (both Carniola and Carinthia).

Hungary will start as Austrian protectorate possesing all the Hungarian lands (Slovakia/Upper Hungary, Transdanubia, Alföld and Transylvania), possibly as ally of France and Poland-Lithuania. It will be up to the player how Rakoczi wins the war.

Anyways, exNowy, thanks for feedback.
    Last edited by Errabundi; March 25, 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

I think you know this site
    http://www.euratlas.com/history_euro..._map_1700.html
    It can helps in few questions.
    Yes, we know it and all the sites with English language maps (wikipedia included). If you want to impress me, find something that nobody can. It doesn't matter what language it is untill it uses Latin, Greek or Cyrryllic alphabet.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ziem View Post
    Thanks Ziem! It's really good idea to make it a Catholic vassal. Also it gives some new possibilities!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast