Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polygamy

Centurion Quintus's Avatar Campidoctor

It's a very controversial topic, not necessarily one that is deemed respectable, but i'd like to see your opinions on Polygamy.

I think that while the sanctity of marriage is sacred ground, Polygamy does not tread too heavily.

It seems that mostly women object to this practice, so i'll look at some things that are good on their side of the fence...

A few pros:

Automatic childcare in a sexist society gives women more effective choice to have a career without devaluing the role of homemaker.

Being able to marry men who are already married means that women can marry men who have already proved themselves, therefore minimising their risk.

Having the possibility that a husband can remarry without divorce extends practical security to a woman. She needn't worry about losing her husband and income as she loses her looks, because if her husband is attracted by a younger woman, he doesn't even have to think about leaving his wife.

Polygamy removes the pressure on a husband to commit adultery, and removes damaging deceit from a marriage.

Polygamy provides a potential for at least three adult incomes, reducing state dependance and the fear of unemployment.

Thoughts and opinons?

{{ Information and research done at Polygamy.com }}

I'm against, bu tif you legalize i, it won't spread. One thing religion is actually good for is keeping things like this at bay.

It could. It takes away so much of reckless marriage that is done today. Marriage - Divorce.

hormiga's Avatar Senator

So you are saying that if a man is married and unhappy than marrying another (more attactive/desirable) woman would make things better ?

Some how I dont think that would be the case. Marital unhappiness doesnt always stem from a guy wanting to "fool around". I really dont think this would reduce divorce...

Even though we might be biologically setup to engage in multiple relationships, I think emotionally/mentally we are more compatible with monogamy.

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

I'm against, bu tif you legalize i, it won't spread. One thing religion is actually good for is keeping things like this at bay.
    I fail to see how allowing polygamy will be a bad thing. If there is no problem with the husband, or the women; why not allow it? In fact, hey marriage has nothing to do with secularism, so why not abolish it? Why the heck would I need my goverment's approval to have a life with my girlfriend?

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by Mehmed II@Apr 29 2005, 12:29 PM
    I fail to see how allowing polygamy will be a bad thing.

Some people find it offensive and degrading to women
    If there is no problem with the husband, or the women; why not allow it?
    Because we live in a society governed by rules and laws, people arent free to do "whatever the hell they want".

In fact, hey marriage has nothing to do with secularism, so why not abolish it?
    Because marraige confers benefits and rights to your spouse that need to be recognized outside of religion.

why the heck would I need my goverment's approval to have a life with my girlfriend?
    because if you are married and your wife gets sick, dont you want ot be legally recognized as someone important to her?

polygamy was very successful in my culture and still exists to day among more traditional people however I dont think it would work all that well among white people. They are not very interested in harmony but self gratification
    Névé'novôhe'étanóme mâsęhánééstóva, onésetó'ha'éeta netáhoestovevoo'o, onésęhestóxévétáno mâsęhánééstóva!

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by vopohame@Apr 29 2005, 01:43 PM
    polygamy was very successful in my culture and still exists to day among more traditional people however I dont think it would work all that well among white people. They are not very interested in harmony but self gratification
    Wow what a great response, when in doubt blame the "BLUE EYED DEVILS"!!

Who, pray-tell, are "your people"?

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Some people find it offensive and degrading to women
    I would like someone to explain why this would be so if the women were willing participants in the situation. Is something that does not follow the morals of some imediately degrading?

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@Apr 29 2005, 01:47 PM
    I would like someone to explain why this would be so if the women were willing participants in the situation. Is something that does not follow the morals of some imediately degrading?
    Offensive because it is ok for a man to have multiple wives but a woman can not have multiple husbands. Degrading because in most (if not all) societies where polygamy is common the women generally have no life outside of their household, they are just house keepers and baby raisers.

I am basing my arguement on "traditional polygamy" not an immagined enlightened polygamy.

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@Apr 29 2005, 07:47 PM
    Is something that does not follow the morals of some imediately degrading?
    No, of course not... I mean, suppose that it is against my moral code to drive cars. Does that make driving a car an amoral thing for you to do? No. Something is only amoral if you believe that it is, since no one else has control over your views of right and wrong.

But if the majority of the populace is opposed to it, then it may not be the best thing to suddenly allow it, that tends to lead to protracted legal battles.

Another thing: polygamy would have the potential to really mess up tax codes. Having families with just two spouses is difficult enough to keep track of, now think of the laws and loopholes that you could create with multiple spouses.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum
    Age of Hellas Map: |*******???|

Where I live (southern BC), there's a lot of controversy about polygamy. It mostly centers around a group of Mormon fundamentalists who live in a town called "Bountiful" and practice polygamy. The official Morman church has already denounced polygamy and ejected these members from their ranks, but they continue to practice their own verson of the faith. They believe that it is their God-given right and duty to have multiple wives and bear lots of children. The sad fact is, much of the community is effectively destroyed by the few dominant males who control this society. In order to "make the math" work out correctly, lots of boys are banished from the town, and young girls as old as 13 have been traded as wives between the members. The children are brainwashed from birth to see that their beliefs are the only way to God, and that they must follow their duties. If this was any where else, a lot of those men would be spending time in jail right now. The only reason they are not criminals as of yet, is that nobody in our government wants to touch that issue. The men there are usually wealthy land and business owners and have connections. They also hide behind the Charter of Rights, claiming that they cannot be prosecuted on religious grounds.

I'm not saying all polygamy is bad/oppressive, but this is an example of what can happen is a polygamist society. Technically, there is nothing wrong with polygamy, if all sides consent to it. Unfortunately, the balance of power tends to favour the male in these kinds of lifestyles. Human culture has evolved such that different "arragements" of marriage are possible, but I belive monogamy is most widespread for a good reason.

PS. My great-grandfather was actually a polygamist. I had like four or five great-grandmothers *tongue*
    ~wall

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Originally posted by vopohame@Apr 29 2005, 01:43 PM
    Where are you from?
    I grew up in Ghana, polygamy still existed there.

Christianity has a big influence on African society so now most africans are against polygamy (they do still have sex with multiple womans of course, they just don't mary them or use condoms because their church doesn't allow it hence all the problems with AIDS).

I think in a traditional society polygamy can be a good thing because a wealthy man can support more people.
    In this case it isn't degrading to woman: they mary a guy mainly because he can support them, not because of love.

But it doesn't fit a modern, western society where womans are supposed to be able to take care of themselves, and where mariage is based on love. (note that 300 years ago love didn't have anything to do with marriage in Europe either).

I grew up on a reservation for native americans in Montana United States. The traditional people practiced polygamy so all women would have a secure environment to raise children. It was usually a man married a woman and her sisters. Nako is mothers in our language and it is plural not singular as we do not generally know who are biological mother is.
    Névé'novôhe'étanóme mâsęhánééstóva, onésetó'ha'éeta netáhoestovevoo'o, onésęhestóxévétáno mâsęhánééstóva!

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Polygamy removes the pressure on a husband to commit adultery, and removes damaging deceit from a marriage.
    Thats not all that dissimilar from saying "Let's legalize murder so all the cold-blooded killers out there can sleep a little better at night knowing that at least they are living under the law."

Are you comparing murder to adultery? :huh

TheKwas's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 29 2005, 01:00 PM
    Offensive because it is ok for a man to have multiple wives but a woman can not have multiple husbands.
    Polygamy doesn't just have to be one man with many wives. If you look at Nepal, traditionally, when a woman married a man, she married all od his brothers as well.

But that aside, lets go through my checklist.

Does it harm anyone against their will? No.

Yep, the checklist clears polygamy.

Wed it up folks, I know I plan to.
    1) The creation of the world is the most marvelous achievement imaginable.
    2) The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
    3) The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
    4) The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
    5) Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being — namely, one who created everything while not existing.
    6) Therefore, God does not exist.

Garbarsardar's love child, and the only child he loves. ^-^

Many men per one woman is Polyandry. Polygamy is always one man per many women.

Second: depends! Just like monogamous marriage can be coercive, so can polygamous marriage - except he number of the wives probably raises the likelihood of that exponentially.

Actually, polygamy just means 'multiple SPOUSES'. Not multiple husbands. The form with one male, multiple females, is called polygyny, and is the opposite of polyandry. Both practices fall under the heading of polygamy, though in typical discourse, one usually is referring to polygyny when he speaks of polygamy, as it is by far the more prevalent of the two practices.
    Patron of : Dr. Z(z)oidberg and redjameskidd

And in case you're wondering why I always put two z(z)'s in places, it's because.

Hm.

It's late. I was wrong. I apologise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast