Thread: Regarding mods and multiplayer

Fingon NL's Avatar Centenarius

Default Regarding mods and multiplayer

Because of the new information we have received on mods from CA and our modders, I tried to find out several things for example how to play with mods(i.e. smoke and blood mod) vs people with the vanilla game.

It seems that even if you start the game with 1 single mod-pack that has nothing in it(an empty pack essentially), that the game sees that as a different version of the game and you are no longer able to play vs other people with the vanilla game.
    The same happens if you try to play online with purely cosmetic mods, for example NAVERN's better firing arc mod, the Smoke&blood mod, LtChambers sprite mod etc.

That is, if you try to play with them as mod-packs.
    If you simply add them as patch-packs (which is how they have been released so far because we didn't understand/know the mod-packs.) you ARE able to play online vs other people because apperently the game does not control the official patches with the patches you have in your version of the game.

Now one more thing I will try to find out is wether you can play other people with the same mod-packs online, though I somehow doubt it, because it seems the game doesn't read what's in the mod-pack and deceide wether you can play online or not, but the simple fact that you play with a mod-pack disqualifies you with playing with the vanilla-game.

''Beneath the gold, bitter steel"

Default Re: Regarding mods and multiplayer

I was wondering about this myself, thanks for the info

This really needs fixing imho. I'm sure 90% of the people who come here to TWC will download a mod or two, because the game is slap-dash work atm. But adding mods disqualifies them from playing multiplayer.

You make a half-finished game and then you forbid players to use a feature just because they wanted to play with an improved game?
    Nonsense.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; March 22, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

True, I think this is also the underlying problem with the moneycheat in multiplayer, because the files are not checked many things go by unnoticed by the game, the only thing the game notices is when your units have different stats than the units of your enemy, and the game goes out of sync.
    I think CA should make it so that in online multiplay the servers should check the money set and the units bought, this would be an easy way to find cheaters, contrary to checking both the files to see if they match.
    Last edited by Fingon NL; March 22, 2009 at 01:21 PM.

little bump, could somebody who's willing to try to play online with an empty mod send me a massage (i.e. with an empty mod-pack, we'll discuss the details).

edit:
    I just tried to play online with the darthmod against someone else, but we both got the message that our games were of different version, so far the only way to play online with mods seems to be by making the mods in patch.pack, as to make it seem that there are no mods installed.
    Last edited by Fingon NL; March 23, 2009 at 09:57 AM.