Thread: Problem with the normals.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Default Problem with the normals.

Problem with the normals.

I seem to be stuck with editing the normals.
    I have edited the

euro_line_infantry_france_diffuse.dds

but I now want to edit its normal map so I presume this must be

euro_line_infantry_france_normal.dds

However the slightest change is ignored, it will actually load in a battle but it could make the game crash, reverted back to the vanilla file and everything is fine again.

The format is correct DXT5 I cant see anything wrong with the file as such

I have played around with normals before no great expert as you can tell but normally you can simply smudge a normal file as a test and see it show in game without a problem.

Any thoughts even better a tutorial.

Default Re: Problem with the normals.

It could be something to do with the mip-maps, some game engines are funny about normal maps and mipmaps. Other than that I don't know... on a normal-map related note, just out of interest, is there an alpha channel in the original normal maps?

Miles

I hadn't any problems editing normals so far, that's strange....
    but I now want to edit its normal map so I presume this must be

euro_line_infantry_france_normal.dds

However the slightest change is ignored, it will actually load in a battle but it could make the game crash, reverted back to the vanilla file and everything is fine again.

The format is correct DXT5 I cant see anything wrong with the file as such
    All of this seems correct to me. Oh, btw to work with normals use the prog called crazybump (import your diffuses in it, it open dds) It's just wonderfull:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And works in game of course, look at the details:

It could be something to do with the mip-maps, some game engines are funny about normal maps and mipmaps. Other than that I don't know... on a normal-map related note, just out of interest, is there an alpha channel in the original normal maps?
    Yes, it seems like a bump to me (low graphical option?)
    Last edited by MrThib; March 22, 2009 at 05:11 AM.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

can you download the crazy bumps program?
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Miles

google it: that's a demo version (30 days)

Yeah, a bump map would make sense, considering the scalability of the game... although nowadays I would think that the alpha channel may have something to do with specularity.
    CrazyBump is great, but unfortunately my trial ran out a long, long time ago. You can still achieve great results in Photoshop alone though, using the ol' "overlay + blur" method. Tends to work a treat

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Yes I found crazybump about two days ago but no joy.

Everything I believe is fine, there seems to be a problem with the gloss map and the normal file something I am doing wrong.

Could someone upload a normal file they have modded and works for them.

I could then check and see if somehow my setup can use it, all I need to see is that it is changing something.

Whenever I use a custom normal map (e.g. created with crazybump), it seems to screw up the lightning. I've tried different settings but it doesn't really change. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by WAAAGH.313ph4n7; March 27, 2009 at 06:08 PM.

Miles

I've no problems in lightning using cazybump, I don't know how it could be since that's the gloss map that affect this.
    If you need to check: http://img10.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=azzars.jpg
    all normals worked with crazybump and I've done nothing special (some times even a copy->paste->save).
    I'm thinking that's your gloss map that is wrong specialy the green channel.

Edit: Sorry, I havn't seen your pict first, so I definetly confirm about the green channel of the gloss map!

Hmm thanks, I'll have another look although I thought that I had already tried it with only the diffuse + normal loaded.

EDIT: Ok, I just tried it again with just the diffuse and normal map and it's looking normal. Do I have to have to consider anything specific when editing the green channel of the gloss map? Because I only changed a few highlights.
    Last edited by WAAAGH.313ph4n7; March 27, 2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: word order ftw

Quote Originally Posted by MrThib View Post
    google it: that's a demo version (30 days)

Hey, I downloaded the trial, and opened the diffuse file and edited it. Now, what do I save it as? There's lots of options, do I overwrite the normal map or the diffuse file?
    Last edited by Sorkenlol; March 27, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Miles

I personnaly just copy it and then paste it in my photoshop, that way I can have multiple layers concerning different parts of the model. Then delete what I don't need and save.

@MrThib: Anyway thanks for clearing up that my problem was indeed not caused by the normal map. I shouldn't have been messing with things like that late at night...

+rep and what-not