Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of experience dilution

Default Getting rid of experience dilution

So, we train up our armies, we take them into the field, our favourite regiments earn names and honours, then we get an actual serious battle, and units who have marched the breadth of the world are back to being the same as any old fool who marched out under the Brandenburg Gate (or worse, yikes). Is there any way we can get rid of this? It is seriously ruining my fun.

I have found where to adjust experience thresholds, making it easier for units to gain veterancy, but this is not what I want to accomplish, as the same problem persists as soon as you take losses. If anyone knows how to adjust this, please help, it's ridiculous to me that the way to get the finest army now seems to be to gack tens of thousands of peasants while running like little girls from anyone who looks like they might put up a fight.

Default Re: Getting rid of experience dilution

You lost me. A regiment gains experience it's abilities go up. Not alot but a little. I've been grooming a nice Prussian army under General Christoph Wessermann. He's led them to victory against Sweden, forcing a peace treaty and then going straight from that victory into Courland and defeated them (the nerve, attacking me for no reason!). It's currently the winter of 1710, Wessermann and his army have not been on Prussian soul in about 6 years. I can definitally see the improvment from when they were raw recruits straight out of the Gate.

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarium View Post
    You lost me. A regiment gains experience it's abilities go up. Not alot but a little. I've been grooming a nice Prussian army under General Christoph Wessermann. He's led them to victory against Sweden, forcing a peace treaty and then going straight from that victory into Courland and defeated them (the nerve, attacking me for no reason!). It's currently the winter of 1710, Wessermann and his army have not been on Prussian soul in about 6 years. I can definitally see the improvment from when they were raw recruits straight out of the Gate.
    I believe he means how when you retrain units experience goes down.

Well the experience dilution makes sense. Those aren't the same troops you're bringing back from the dead or anything. You're bringing in fresh recruits who haven't been in battle before to take the place of the dead vets.

Yes, I am referring to the loss of experience when units retrain. I only mentioned the Brandenburg Gate on account of the experience bonus to its troops, which seems equal to any experience you can maintain on a field army that takes actual losses. It wasn't driving me quite as mad before, but on my fifth campaign now, I think I'd like to see some veteran troops eventually. This 'feature' may be realistic, but it lacks in the prime selling area of fun. I know that the dead veterans are replaced by green troops, but tradition and name ought to make a big difference to elan and battlefield performance as well. Mostly its about the FUN part though, and I like having more than money to show for 60 years of warfare.
    Last edited by Sithrain; March 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Miles

do you guys notice it takes an extraordinarily long amount of time for units to retrain? lol... i waited six turns for my units in st. petersburg to be refitted...
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

Quote Originally Posted by Slurricane View Post
    I believe he means how when you retrain units experience goes down.
    Haven't seen it. Nobody has dropped a chevron after getting their numbers replenished.

The Kahn's Avatar Civis

Yeah, i don't like that. I understand it's realistic, but it feels like it takes forever for a regiment to get just to 3 chevrons.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarium View Post
    Haven't seen it. Nobody has dropped a chevron after getting their numbers replenished.
    Same here, I have not had this happen to me.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

JohnHamm's Avatar Civis

When My troops replenish, It drops maybe one chevron depending on how many men were lost, and it doesn't seem that hard to get them to have 1 chevron or two three even comes around okay but I just can't seem to get above that very much I had one for a while that was at 4 but I have never seen any beyond that If I do I think I will have to consider them elite.
    John W. Hamm

If you like what I post +REP
    and I'll do the same for you!!

It’s normal that your unit will lose some experience after getting new soldiers, they are not clones of the remaining ones. If you don’t want to lose it, don’t press reinforce button.

Yeah, my Bulkeley's Regiment has been fighting in America, GB, France, Prussia, Sweden, Norway, Russia, Africa, Spain, Portugal... and more. They just became rank 5..

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

you guys do know that experience dilution has been around forever?

Its kind of silly if you could get rank 8 or 9 men really easily, It should definatly be hard, they are very , very powerful.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

The Kahn's Avatar Civis

IDK maybe if someone got rid of the dilution they could make it so the regiment has to get more kills to go up in rank.

Don't replenish, but merge your veteran units instead. That way, they'll keep high chevrons.

One further trick: from what I can get, chevrons are decided as the average of the merging units... so, if you do that in the right order, you can keep the chevrons (example: 30 guys 3 chevrons, 25 guys 2 chevrons, 50 guys 2 chevrons... the first two should give you 55 guys with 3 chevrons, and then 105 guys with three chevrons after the final merge).

What i find strange is that sometimes you can recruit units with experience!

"The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands,rulers of the sea's."

Sailor's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by NightFire View Post
    What i find strange is that sometimes you can recruit units with experience!

Well it makes sense that once you can build First Rates, you'd have a whole bunch of potential First Rate captains and hardy sailors. They are over qualified for serving on a sloop or brig, so if you build one and put them on it, it starts with some experience to show that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :usflag:

Or you've just improved on training techniques.

I've never noticed dilution, despite having armies battered until each company only had <80 men left, and even then, they kept their high experience.
    "It is said that God is always on the side of the great battalions." - Voltaire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast