Thread: How to create new weapons?

Lugdunum batavorum's Avatar Civis

Default How to create new weapons?

Hi, i don't know if this has been mentioned before, but i couldn't find it.

For the united provinces i tried to create a new elite line infantry unit which makes use of a musket with a slightly increased range of fire.
    For that purpose i made a new unit and tried to create a new musket by
    cloning the standard musket in the "projectiles.tsv" file in the db directory
    of the patch pack.

After cloning the line i altered the name of the new musket and also atered some stats. Then i went to the "unit_land_tables.tsv" and gave my new unit the altered musket.
    Sadly it didn't work.

Now my question is; which files do i have to mod to get my unit to work with their new muskets?
    Thanx!

Sorry, wrong forum! Would someone be so kind to move my topic?
    Last edited by Lugdunum batavorum; March 21, 2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Made a mistake
    Haec libertatis ergo

Miles

Default Re: How to create new weapons?

wow, i would have suggested using the same weapon (i.e. flintlock, rifle, etc) just change the range from 70 - 100 in the unit_land table . . . just my opinion, you could even reskin the musket if you wanted to.
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

Well if he changed all the muskets then the specific units that he wants to use them wouldn't have any kind of advantage over the rest of the line infantry, since they would also use them. I do not know how to add a new musket, but for now you could just use the pistol.

Miles

well why not just change the stats in unit_land_table?
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

Because Mikhail you cant change the range of a weapon in units_stats_land. You have to change that in projectiles.
    Now in answer to the OP: it sounds like you did it right, did you add your new unit to unit_table, and make sure its allowed by your faction in the faction exclusive files? Also I recommend you use the new PFM by LtChambers its stickyed on this page (The tools page.) You dont have to export the .tsv you can change the files right with in the PFM.
    "When you do something right; it will seem as though you haven't done anything at all." -Space God
    http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?ForumReferrerID=127300

Lugdunum batavorum's Avatar Civis

Thanx for answering. i did create a new line infantry unit for the new weapon to be, and for testing purposes i gave them the "Long rifle musket" from the american longriflemen. Now their
    range has increased but they fight with swords in melee instead of bayonets. I've made some progress but my goal is to copy a regular musket in the projectiles table and create a custom one. Sadly it doesn't work till now.

Whee! I did it! Now it's possible to give certain units different weapons stat such as range, cannistershot, basicreloadingtime, killingpower etc.

Here's how; open your modpack (if you made one) with packmanager.
    Go to the projectiles.tsv file, copy a the line of a weapon (i copied musket_flintlock) rename it (i named it musket_flintlock_spec).
    Mod the out of the stats and save it.

One thing which is important is
    that when you copy a weaponsrow you have to make sure that all the data in that row has been properly copied, for some reason a bit of data was erased in some columns and i had to fill it in again to get it to work.

Now go to the unit_stats_land.tsv file in your pack and select your fav. unit.
    Go to the "projectileIDRef" column and put there your newly made weapon ( mine was musket_flintlock_spec). Save your .pack file and close it.
    That's all folks!

Now you're able to create a sniper team if you like!
    Last edited by Trajan; March 23, 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Merged double post.
    Haec libertatis ergo

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

The Modding Tools sub-forum is only for modding tools. Moved to Empire Mod Workshop.