Thread: The mystery of ''The Exploding Toads''

It finally happened. Thank you fron, its not enough that you make frogs grow extra feet, you have to blow them up too.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Probably some serious contaminant in that pond... Poor animals...

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Poor animals.
    Maybe they are Usama's new weapon.

SirLoinalot's Avatar Cumquat

Well at least it's not happening to a good animal. Toads are quite pointless really.

Look on the bright side at least fido the family dog isn't going to run out into the garden frollicking in the grass and trying to catch butterflies, then suddenly explode taking out half the kitchen and the back fence in one tremendous explosion.

Owned by: Wilpuri
    Owns: I don't trust you enough

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@Apr 28 2005, 05:45 AM
    Probably some serious contaminant in that pond... Poor animals...
    yeah .. A guy I met at work told me that when he went hunting once, he'd keep finding those dead birds which throats had exploded after having eaten some chemical stuff :erm

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Look on the bright side at least fido the family dog isn't going to run out into the garden frollicking in the grass and trying to catch butterflies, then suddenly explode taking out half the kitchen and the back fence in one tremendous explosion.
    Why does this sound like you're talking from experience?

Any pent up Puppy-splosions in your childhood, Lord Loinalot? :grin

SirLoinalot's Avatar Cumquat

sniff sniff poor Fido. I can still remember picking his tail out of the tree.

Oh, and making birds explode is easy just feed them baking soda and boom...makes thier stomache's swell or something.

Owned by: Wilpuri
    Owns: I don't trust you enough

Libertus
    Earth, 3. The Solar System, 472,031 The Milky Way

Originally posted by SirLoinalot@Apr 28 2005, 07:25 AM
    Oh, and making birds explode is easy just feed them baking soda and boom...makes thier stomache's swell or something.
    Birds can't burp. Baking soda gives them gas. Birds aren't designed to be pressurised containers...

Originally posted by SirLoinalot@Apr 28 2005, 02:25 PM
    sniff sniff poor Fido. I can still remember picking his tail out of the tree.

Thanks, I was always wondering how to make a bird explode! Would it work better if you got them to drink some vinegar too?
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum
    Age of Hellas Map: |*******???|

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Exploding toads. Never encountered one yet. All they do is pee on you if you pick them up. I may have an idea on why they explode however. Perhaps they got zapped with radiation like on Hulk?

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Mystery solved:

According to Spiegel Online (German online version of THE german weekly news magazine), crows are responsible. Here's how: These nasty birds (gotta love em) like to eat the livers of the toads. This obviously punctures the toads, which, when in danger, inflate their lungs (and therefore their bodies) with air (normal reaction). Since the body is punctured, the inflating lungs find no resistance anymore and rupture. BANG! This presses their innards out of the hole. Yuck!

Because crows are rather smart birds, they soon learned and found out how to efficiently get to the tasty livers. They then engaged in wholesale puncturing of toad populations.

No virus or illness was found.

I might add that Denmark, where the toads are also exploding, is quite a way from Hamburg, where the first toads met their grisly fate, To the border alone it must be 150 km or about 100 miles. To Laasby probably much farther. It must be months as the toad crawls. But on the other hand probably a day as the crow flies... :grin

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Ah! Survival of the fittest... Better this way than by some chemical spill or something like that.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

It must be months as the toad crawls. But on the other hand probably a day as the crow flies...
    :lol :w00t :happy :grin

That's hilarious.

I'd read they tried all sorts of theories, ranging from infected insects to Brazillian fungus. I guess its kind of funny that they didn't pay attention to the flock of crows hanging around the exploding toads.