Thread: Anciently armed units

Default Anciently armed units

Ok, if one is looking to do a ancient mod of ETW, we need some default soldiers armed with ancient weapons and annimations.

So far i've found sword/shield inf, single sword inf, 2 handed axe inf, pikemen inf, peasant inf, spear armed cav, sword armed cav, spear armed elephant and spear armed chariot BUT no spearman inf! A basic essential is missing! oh-no!

Anyone find a a spearman?

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Default Re: Anciently armed units

I think on the first RoI scenario, i saw an indian using spear.. Yeah, they only using spear.. I cannot recall the name of that u it.. It's elite something..

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Honestly a ancient type mod would work well in this game. Unit cohesion bug is effectively destroyed now.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

There's an African spearman unit in the game files. I added it to a faction and it didn't crash, but it doesn't have a unit card, and I didn't test it in a battle, so I don't know if it works in battles.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

excellent if we could see a picture of a Indian / African spearman!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Fenix_120's Avatar Senator

You can see a horse archer if you play as Russia, lancers are their as well and as a matter of fact the Uhlan animations would look nice with an Companion cavalry skin.

Take highland infantry and with a little bit of modding you have a Celtic warrior(is it just me or did the Celts fight the same way for like 2500 years?)

Pike men are in the game although their animation are horribly bugged to the point that the Pikes are useless and the swords that they carry are their real weapons.

Foot archers can be seen in America by the Indians, as well as ax men and throwing axemen.

Their are Islamic and Hindu swordsmen in India but I think they use the same animations and the Scottish ones, but if not then hey their you go.

Theirs also a one handed sword animation used by certain Islamic and Hindu units as well as Buckaneers but I do not think that in the ancient era fighting without a shield was a smart thing to do.

Africa you can find spearmen, but can you find a throwing spearman?

I never actually invaded Africa, iv been so busy with Europe, America, and India to go their

wouldn't it be a bit silly when most of us have played rome tw medieval tw with ancient weapons?

Not really, like these guys have said, there are plenty of melee-only troops in the game, and, with a little modding, you can have line infantry using bows instead of muskets, I'm sure I saw a screenshot some-one posted of such a mini-mod, he had his british line infantry firing bows.

The real challenge would be bringing back catapults and Trebuchets, since they would need modeling and animating from scratch, or porting from Med2/Rome, but to do that, we'd still need the 3ds Max tools from CA, and depending on how 'Ancient' you want to make the mod, (Greek/Rome period) then you'd need new ship models too, or just give every faction nothing but Galleys.
    My named ships in Empire Total War: (that i can remember)

Fifth Rate, HMS Poseidon.

Fifth Rate, HMS Dauntless.

Fifth Rate, HMS Enterprise NCC-1701

Fifth Rate, HMS Simi.

------
    "Ya best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're IN one!"

Quote Originally Posted by vanhako2 View Post
    wouldn't it be a bit silly when most of us have played rome tw medieval tw with ancient weapons?

This post is just for antiquitarians who cannot get their fill of swords and shields - steel on wood. We have no plan in hybernating until R2TW is released!

For normal people, enjoy the 18th-19th centuries warfare, expect napoleonics and US civil war soon.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

the skimeshers and slingers annimations are still misssing

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

The biggest problem as far as i can tell is lack of access to model formats and that the animations are mostly inappropriate. Navel battles too would be a problem, unless you could edit the models, remove the cannons and add archers.. or something similar.

I dont doubt it would be possible in time though - the additions to the campaign map make a roman or medieval mod an interesting prospect.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes