Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire:Total War Review -Crispy Gamer

Elmar's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Finaly!

Quote Originally Posted by GenWolfe View Post
    WOW this guy is the best game reviewer ever!! I guess that is why he works for crispy games.
    Actually, Tom Chick is one of the most well known reviewers out there. And known to have some affinity for wargames too, so no light weight by any means.
    He's known to be harsh but it's not like he is making gripes up. The only comment I'd make is that he gives too little credit for what is done right.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Empire:Total War Review -Crispy Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by ashbery76 View Post
    The reviewer Tom Chick has never liked CA's games EVER so he is just backing up his opinion.The reviewer Tom Chick rates Endwar as a great strategy game and thought DuesEx was rubbish, so be carefull about his gospel truth.
    Ad hominem or poisoning the well?

I don't know who Tom Chick is. Prior to reading the review, I didn't know what Crispy Gamer was. Neither of these statements change the fact that everything he said is spot on. The manual sucks. Many of the "features" in the game are unexplained. The AI is terrible at times. Particularly when it comes to pathfinding and the campaign map decisions. And there are a ton of gamebreaking bugs and CTD's.

Tassen's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Generaal Van Heutsz View Post
    Ok, at least we know it is coming, and soon. I was hoping for that we would see something before the weekend but if delayed for a couple days mean a more stable patch, with even more fixes in it, I'll settle for that.

be carefull what you post even when it's the same conclusion as all gamers have about ETW , cause the moderators on this forum move everything negative to rant

Quote Originally Posted by Tassen View Post
    Ok, at least we know it is coming, and soon. I was hoping for that we would see something before the weekend but if delayed for a couple days mean a more stable patch, with even more fixes in it, I'll settle for that.
    I like that ca praising which is connection with every how-bad-o-ever news posted by a CA staff.
    Its like a rockstar come down to his fans which demand a baby!

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by erik34 View Post
    be carefull what you post even when it's the same conclusion as all gamers have about ETW , cause the moderators on this forum move everything negative to rant
    They move threads that are created soley for posting negative feedback to the rant thread. This is not one of those threads.

Rotaugen2009's Avatar Vicarius

I thought this review was much closer to the truth than any other I've read. I enjoy this game right now, even with the bugs. But if it isn't fixed, it won't get the long term hard drive space.

The reviewer does state that not everything is bad, but it needs work.

I understand that there are bugs at first. But like this article pointed out, they've been doing this for a while (if 10 years is a while) and they still have problems with the naval invasions. I could understand if this was their first, or second game.I have a hard time remembering, but I think I remember seeing naval invasions in Rome:Total War, but only after it was patched. I think the vanilla out of the box game didn't do it. Forgive my hazy memory, but at my age, I'm lucky to remember what I had for lunch.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Rotaugen2009 View Post
    I thought this review was much closer to the truth than any other I've read. I enjoy this game right now, even with the bugs. But if it isn't fixed, it won't get the long term hard drive space.

The reviewer does state that not everything is bad, but it needs work.

I understand that there are bugs at first. But like this article pointed out, they've been doing this for a while (if 10 years is a while) and they still have problems with the naval invasions. I could understand if this was their first, or second game.I have a hard time remembering, but I think I remember seeing naval invasions in Rome:Total War, but only after it was patched. I think the vanilla out of the box game didn't do it. Forgive my hazy memory, but at my age, I'm lucky to remember what I had for lunch.
    Yes, it was vanilla RTW that didn't have naval invasions. I think some of the problem and obvious differences in some of the games in the series lies with the fact that CA has two seperate development teams that work independantly from each other. ETW was developed by their Australia team and M2TW was developed by their GB team.

Quote Originally Posted by M2TWRocks View Post
    ETW was developed by their Australia team and M2TW was developed by their GB team.
    Pretty certain it's the other way around.

Senator

. ETW was developed by their Australia team and M2TW was developed by their GB team.
    nope.. etw was developed by the studio in GB and m2tw was developed by the one in australia.

Hohenstaufen's Avatar Semisalis

ETW was developed by their Australia team and M2TW was developed by their GB team.
    The other way round. Empire is by the european branch, M2TW by the australian branch.

EDIT-Double Ninja-ed!!!
    ΠΑΣ ΜΗ ΕΛΛΗΝ ΒΑΡΒΑΡΟΣ

Tassen's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Plautus View Post
    I like that ca praising which is connection with every how-bad-o-ever news posted by a CA staff.
    Its like a rockstar come down to his fans which demand a baby!
    Why be an optimist, when you can be a pessimist?
    Why be positive, when you can be negative?
    Why see the glass as half-full, when you can see it as half-empty?
    Why praise something, when you can bash it instead?

Because nothing good will ever come out of the latter in any these questions.
    Don't you know that the sun ALWAYS shine...sometimes there's just a few clouds in between.

I have to admit though that you lost me completely with your rockstar - baby comment. What does that have to do with, anything?

My take on http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com and their reception of the CrispyGamer.com review of Empire: Total War...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

('-')y

Quote Originally Posted by Tassen View Post
    Because nothing good will ever come out of the latter in any these questions.
    Rarely see anything good coming out of completely one-sided opinions anyway .

Criticism is however a very good creative medium and in truth, when the glass is half-full, it's also half-empty and the problem remains: how do you fill it up, which is the whole point!
    France, birth of an Empire
    An Empire TW AAR
    ----------------------------
    "Rise up! Rise up, O Ye Modders
    And bring forth thy great ken of past battles[..]"
    , Straggler13

Elmar's Avatar Senator

Pffft. Optimism is overrated. If your hair is on fire you aren't clever for being happy that you can now read in the dark.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

Default Re: Finaly!

Quote Originally Posted by Xerces View Post
    Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm. Can I say simply that most of us here WANT this game to ROCK. Why in gods name would we purchase a game with our money only to then slate it for no apparent reason??

First read this quote from the review: "It's easy enough to say "wait for the patch" or "wait for modders," both of which have dramatically improved Creative Assembly's previous games. I can only presume that will be the case here, at which point I look forward to seeing how Empire: Total War turns out. But we review the games we're given, not the games we wish they'll become. And right now, Empire: Total War is blunderingly stupid, relying on a handful of the same tricks, lots of shuffling and scooching, and long bouts of inaction."
    And yet again if indeed YOU and many other are not having issues with the game, and LOVE it et al. Then why are you not busy playing it rather than being here critcising us for NOT being happy? Also IF you are indeed enjoying it, then good for you I am genuinely happy for you as you are having more fun than me and many others right now. Please remember that everyone has different opinions of what is good, what is bad and what is great. You are obviously more easily pleased than many of us here, which again is more of a benefit for both you than it is for any of us. I loved this review and it was the first time that I FELT (I said "I" not "you") that a review had got this game spot on. It will be improved like every other TW game has, but the quote from the reviewer (above) summed up what has been on the tip of my tongue for the last couple of weeks.

People will continue to criticise this game, and some will stop at points when they feel the game is good enough for them, but right now having been a MASSIVE fan of all TW games I was anticipating this game far more than others, not becuase of the time period (personally I prefer Medieval period) but becuase this I felt was about to be the masterpeice after 10 years of hard work from CA, but it has been a let down in a big way for ME, and this review basically said what I would have liked to post in these forums for the past week, but havent for fear of either being shot down in flames or being warned for creating another "rant" thread. Rights etc have nothing to do with it, but just as you are entitled to your opinion (and please dont mistake this as a criticism of your posts!) everyone else is entitled to theirs. And as I will say once more I am happy on the verge of being very envious of people like yourselves who are happy with ETW, becuase I like many others are simply not satisfied. But I am confident at some point I might be, which also should have no bearing or effect on your enjoyment either!

Ok first and foremost I enjoy reading peoples opinions wether they differ from mine or not, but then I will counter them... hence my reply before, I didnt feel like it was unbiased as the first poster claimed, so I commented.

second you feel like your persecuted because you dilike the game? Im sorry but whenever anyone in the last week or 2 has posted a positive thing they get jumped on with comments like "Ure happy with s%££ AI and no navel invasions? are you an idiot?" and such simillar witty comments.. So it works two ways, they seems to be very polarised views on this game...

third... Im on a train on my Iphone on my way back from a meeting in London... hence why Im not playing the game, but even if I was at home I'd be on the internet as much as playing thanks to windowed gameplay because Ive always had a shortish attention span I mix it up....

fouth... I dont think the games perfect, I dont think most of the positive reviews were right, but I also think that the game as a whole is better than this crispy gamer review claims which is why I posted MY opinion in THIS thread...

As for being worried about posting its the internet mate you'll always get people who agree with your posts and others who disagree... I mean unless you ask if megan fox has a fine ass which I think you'd get universal backing.. If you ahve issues post them up ignore people being annoying and reply to people who engage you constructively its the way Ive always decided who to reply too... hence why I replied to your post...

very true indeed

this review seems to be scaring CA
    to catch a fish,so juicy sweeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
    Pffft. Optimism is overrated. If your hair is on fire you aren't clever for being happy that you can now read in the dark.
    Nope, but you solved one problem: with your hair on fire, you don't really care about reading in the dark anymore
    France, birth of an Empire
    An Empire TW AAR
    ----------------------------
    "Rise up! Rise up, O Ye Modders
    And bring forth thy great ken of past battles[..]"
    , Straggler13

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
    it depends your hair being on fire might light up the room enough to see the fire extinguiser...

Quote Originally Posted by Multiball View Post
    it depends your hair being on fire might light up the room enough to see the fire extinguiser...
    Yeah, but hair burns so quick that it's ultimately going to leave you with nothing in the end, so why bother?