Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire:Total War Review -Crispy Gamer

Default Re: Finaly!

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldboy View Post
    Its a harsh review i think
    Oh its not harsh, its just what everyone is always talking about on these forums:

Realistic.

Anyone that's played the game will recognise the issues and they're not even the only ones. If anything the review isnt harsh at all.

When a game cant even be played properly due to CTDs I would saw it off at the legs

But why did every other reviews give this game so good reviews???

Its a bigger consperacy than Roswell. I never trust a mainstream Game reviewer again .
    Last edited by juxilor2; March 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Empire:Total War Review -Crispy Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by juxilor View Post
    Finally a honest and uncorrupted review of ETW:

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamerevie...al-war-pc.aspx

Edited thread title ~ Moderator
    This is the most accuracte, unbiased review I've seen of the game so far. Maybe the only accurate, unbiased review I've seen.

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

The reviewer Tom Chick has never liked CA's games EVER so he is just backing up his opinion.The reviewer Tom Chick rates Endwar as a great strategy game and thought DuesEx was rubbish, so be carefull about his gospel truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiball View Post
    well they dont need to tell you, its pretty obvious why any patch was delayed, because theres alot to fix and alot that can be broken (just look at the last patch) I'd rather they take time on the patch and make it right for as many people as possible, rather than release a patch that doesnt fix many problems because they're on a tight timeline...
    Well that's one reason why they chose Steam, the option to have frequent small patches.

Quote Originally Posted by M2TWRocks View Post
    This is the most accuracte, unbiased review I've seen of the game so far. Maybe the only accurate, unbiased review I've seen.
    Yes it is spread it to all corners of the earth!

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ashbery76 View Post
    The reviewer Tom Chick has never liked CA's games EVER so he is just backing up his opinion.The reviewer Tom Chick rates Endwar as a great strategy game and thought DuesEx was rubbish, so be carefull about his gospel truth.
    links to where he said that about deus ex? its only the greatest fps ever.

Yeah, been in a little argument thing with my roommate over Endwar. He's touting it the best Strat game he's ever played in all his days of gaming, yet will barely touch a TW game because they're "too hard".

Well, I loved Shogun and the first MTW, and if I had written a review of ETW it would look quite similar to Chick's. Just because you think he's got it in for CA doesn't mean he's wrong.

Semisalis

Honestly, the most valuable part of this review for me is the commentary on the lack of documentation. I hadn't thought about this issue until this review and it made me think back to all the times I wondered how something work and how I just had to guess and assume things.

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Kewpur View Post
    ETW is the least broken TW game yet without patches.
    I am sorry, but there is something just inherently wrong with this statement...

Why should we be happy it is the "least broken" so far?

I am a fan, been there since STW, played every version on release, patched and then modded. I am having loads of fun playing with ETW myself, but that is inspite of the obvious issues...
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark

Quote Originally Posted by Xerces View Post
    [..]
    People will continue to criticise this game, and some will stop at points when they feel the game is good enough for them, but right now having been a MASSIVE fan of all TW games I was anticipating this game far more than others, not becuase of the time period (personally I prefer Medieval period) but becuase this I felt was about to be the masterpeice after 10 years of hard work from CA, but it has been a let down in a big way for ME, and this review basically said what I would have liked to post in these forums for the past week, but havent for fear of either being shot down in flames or being warned for creating another "rant" thread. Rights etc have nothing to do with it, but just as you are entitled to your opinion (and please dont mistake this as a criticism of your posts!) everyone else is entitled to theirs. And as I will say once more I am happy on the verge of being very envious of people like yourselves who are happy with ETW, becuase I like many others are simply not satisfied. But I am confident at some point I might be, which also should have no bearing or effect on your enjoyment either!

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally NOT happy with E:TW as it is now but I haven't been happy with MW:TW, R:TW or MW2:TW either. Likewise, NWN2 was a disappointment on release overall, so was the Sims 2.
    And I knew I would be, to some degree, even before buying these games, that's the funny part

BUT, and that's the but that makes everything, I also knew that these games would be modded and that because of this, they would go beyond what they were and that's why I bought them initially, for their potential and in no cases I've been disappointed in this regard. NWN2 was just a dream come true if you liked creating stories and some of the mods of TW games are just jewels.

And that's why I pay full money when it's released instead of waiting, buying the games for 4€ later on, then use mods. I pay full money because the teams behind the games offer such potential to user based content and that is something to be preserved and rewarded (even bribed!). User based content will eventually almost ALWAYS completely blow away anything a studio can do, if the proper tools are offered, because in the vastness of user based content, you will find some (or do your own) that are designed JUST the way you like it, which is impossible to do for a studio!
    Perfect example is for me Stainless Steel for MW2. It's TOTALLY NOT a casual player mod (when using all the proper sub mods) and should any studio release a game with all the features of SSteel, the sales would probably be catastrophic because it's really not user friendly, it's hard and it takes time and effort to manage it. I however totally love it and I'm thankful that a team of modder was able to come together on a project, and deliver this. I thankful that CA did the groundwork for such a mod to exist at all.

That's also the huge difference between console market and PC market. The first is static, you just digest what is given and what's done is done. The latter is however forever changing, it's a pool of creative freedom that I love to the very core.

To be honest, I probably played more E:TW (the base game) than any other base TW before. I never had any single crash (ok, I lie, I had two when merging troops then did it differently and didn't crash), the game runs great and it's a quite interesting period (though I'm more into shields & swords stuff) that I didn't know much about. By itself, that means something even though I already stopped playing and shelved the game till the mods come out, but then again, I did that with all TW games before E:TW, played couple days, a week maybe, then shelve them, keep an eye on mods and come back on them months later.
    When I see the potential of it (hoping they keep their part of the deal regarding modding, a part which is start to worry me as time goes by), it's quite insane and, unless they really fight it (CA I mean), I KNOW that I will be playing this game, modded, for a long...long..long time.
    Last edited by kemor; March 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
    France, birth of an Empire
    An Empire TW AAR
    ----------------------------
    "Rise up! Rise up, O Ye Modders
    And bring forth thy great ken of past battles[..]"
    , Straggler13

I am amazed that this thread hasent been closed yet.

Mabye goodness will prevail after all

Quote Originally Posted by kerowhacko View Post
    Yeah, been in a little argument thing with my roommate over Endwar. He's touting it the best Strat game he's ever played in all his days of gaming, yet will barely touch a TW game because they're "too hard".
    after playing a TW game i wont play any other type of strat game, Every other game seams to boil down to tank rush.

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

Good review, hard but atleast he speaks his mind

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by juxilor2 View Post
    I am amazed that this thread hasent been closed yet.

Mabye goodness will prevail after all
    I'm amazed you've been allowed to post using another, albeit clever, user name, despite your suspension.

TWC is far more liberal in terms of moderation. This thread "should" remain open as long as it doesn't cross the line.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Xerces View Post
    OP has been suspended? Hoping it wasnt for posting this review???
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    i assume it was for the 7 or other random rant threads he started that all god locked and he continued to start new ones
    I would ask you not comment on other members especially since they are unable to respond. And no he was not suspended for posting a review.

Thanks,
    Garb.

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    I'm amazed you've been allowed to post using another, albeit clever, user name, despite your suspension.

TWC is far more liberal in terms of moderation. This thread "should" remain open as long as it doesn't cross the line.

YEs i am amazed at that to, with my uber name and all

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by juxilor2 View Post
    YEs i am amazed at that to, with my uber name and all
    You've got a name so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it weasel.

You and are out of here!