Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire:Total War Review -Crispy Gamer

Default Empire:Total War Review -Crispy Gamer

Finally a honest and uncorrupted review of ETW:

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamerevie...al-war-pc.aspx

Edited thread title ~ Moderator
    Last edited by Antissa; March 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

Default Re: Finaly!

I should have read this review instead of IGN review

The reviewer seems to have played the game long enough to realized that this game is unfinished and was rushed to the market

Page 3 of review : "once again, Creative Assembly has made a game that its AI cannot play." and "It seems that many of the game's features simply aren't used by the AI. Perhaps the most glaring omission is that the AI can't move armies across water, which makes life as the British Empire particularly easy. The AI is incapable of organizing any sort of practical offensive, and will instead just raid towns ineffectually. Enemy armies shuffle around the map noncommittally, apparently unable to seize territory, which is the whole reason armies are in the game."

Very disapointing indeed....

Evens: He played 20 turns on Easy/Easy, then cribbed the rest of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Septimius Bassianus View Post

The reviewer seems to have played the game long enough to realized that this game is unfinished and was rushed to the market
    The AI is incapable of organizing any sort of practical offensive, and will instead just raid towns ineffectually. Enemy armies shuffle around the map noncommittally, apparently unable to seize territory, which is the whole reason armies are in the game."
    maybe they shouldnt have played it on normal difficulty

oh my! no naval invasions?? thats the first time i hear of it

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    maybe they shouldnt have played it on normal difficulty
    Why? Id argue that would be the best difficulty for someone to review it on being as I'd wager a lot of people start off the game on Normal and move up as they get more comfortable.

Just me though.

then cribbed the rest of the forums.
    i agree

Xerces's Avatar Tiro

Wow! Have to say after reading that, I couldnt have put it better myself!!!!!! This summed it up for me:

"it's easy enough to say "wait for the patch" or "wait for modders," both of which have dramatically improved Creative Assembly's previous games. I can only presume that will be the case here, at which point I look forward to seeing how Empire: Total War turns out. But we review the games we're given, not the games we wish they'll become. And right now, Empire: Total War is blunderingly stupid, relying on a handful of the same tricks, lots of shuffling and scooching, and long bouts of inaction."

Completely agree. I have had no inclanation to play Empire now for past week which is a shame, becuase my God have I been waiting for this game!!!

Best review I have read for a while!!

Sorry CA, I dont make games, and I am sooo sure that its not easy, and that you do your best, but this reviewer has hit the nail on the head so hard the nail has broken in half. Quite possibly the best un-biased review I have ever had the pleasure in reading, and it goes to show that many reviewers at the bigger sites must have to pay some sort of lip service to bigger companies.
    Last edited by Xerces; March 20, 2009 at 08:12 AM.
    "But sire, wont we hit our own troops?"..."Yes but we'll hit theirs as well!"
    "it's easy enough to say "wait for the patch" or "wait for modders," both of which have dramatically improved Creative Assembly's previous games. I can only presume that will be the case here, at which point I look forward to seeing how Empire: Total War turns out. But we review the games we're given, not the games we wish they'll become."

Founding Member of MTWII Modding Arts Inc.
    My How To Add A Region Guide For MTW2

No, that isn't a banana

Talk about scathing, lol.

"It is also a terrible mess from start to finish that makes me wonder if developer Creative Assembly has contempt for its fan base and utter disregard for everyone else. "

reviewing on anything other than normal/normal would be assinine - as that it the default game level.

Totaly lunacy to suggest otherwise.

If there are special features enabled at higher settings then you would also review those, but keep them sidelined from the main review.

Fwiw I was a professional PC games reviewer for many years.
    ----

and, yes, that is the first itme i have seen a review that even mentions the lack of naval movement of troops.

Best review so far, tho he could have mentioned all the crashes and hardware problems aswell, because i might be blind but i didnt read them.

Other than that its nice to read a review from someone who has the balls to say things out the way they are instead of making payed commercial.

It didnt bash the game too hard but was very honest about everything

And the game should be playable with Normal for most people, Hard and Very Hard should be for experts and fanatics.

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Honestly, people need to stop complaining. ETW is the least broken TW game yet without patches. If you call yourself a true fan and you still call ETW the most buggy... You're no real fan because you clearly haven't played RTW and M2TW unpatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Septimius Bassianus View Post
    I should have read this review instead of IGN review

Yeah, after numerous long delays and a release in the middle of a reccession in March, quite an unspectacular month for buying games, I can see why you drew the conclusion that they rushed it out.

Hell lets not believe their explaination, I'm sure you know best.

''After mastering the system -- if you ever reach that point -- you're going to discover that you cannot lose because you're in a world without meaningful opponents. ''

I ENOURMOUSLY agree with this, you cannot lose and from the start you are unbeatable, even playing as Prussia..

Xerces's Avatar Tiro

OP has been suspended? Hoping it wasnt for posting this review???
    "it's easy enough to say "wait for the patch" or "wait for modders," both of which have dramatically improved Creative Assembly's previous games. I can only presume that will be the case here, at which point I look forward to seeing how Empire: Total War turns out. But we review the games we're given, not the games we wish they'll become."

Quote Originally Posted by Kewpur View Post

Honestly, people need to stop complaining. ETW is the least broken TW game yet without patches. If you call yourself a true fan and you still call ETW the most buggy... You're no real fan because you clearly haven't played RTW and M2TW unpatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerces View Post
    OP has been suspended? Hoping it wasnt for posting this review???
    i assume it was for the 7 or other random rant threads he started that all god locked and he continued to start new ones

Quote Originally Posted by Davincee View Post
    ''After mastering the system -- if you ever reach that point -- you're going to discover that you cannot lose because you're in a world without meaningful opponents. ''

I ENOURMOUSLY agree with this, you cannot lose and from the start you are unbeatable, even playing as Prussia..
    as was with every tw game so far... so hardly a surprise

Thanks for a good laugh.

Xerces's Avatar Tiro

Sorry but there are just too many points to comment on from your post my friend! I will ONLY say it's ONLY becuase we are REAL fans that we care so much, and of course we played RTW and MTW2. But I shall quote this wonderful review to reply to this:

"These problems might be understandable if this were Creative Assembly's first game. It might even make sense in a sort of "sophomore slump" situation. But the guys at Creative Assembly have been making these games for 10 years. They're not new to the concept. At this point in the history of a franchise, we should be seeing some polish, a better sense of presentation, and perhaps most importantly, a competent AI or at least a move to a multiplayer model. None of this is happening. Instead, we get more (undocumented) detail and sexier graphics in lieu of smarter AI. As Creative Assembly grandest design yet, Empire: Total War falls apart more spectacularly than ever. "

Cheers.
    Last edited by Xerces; March 20, 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast