Thread: Town buildings- help needed

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

Default Town buildings- help needed

I am still somewhat at a loss when I need to choose a building for an emergent town. The thing is, I'm not sure which is the best choice, some pointers would be helpful. I also have some specific questions:

Do the "pleasure" buildings (coaching inn etc.) bring happiness to all the faction, or just to their region? If it is only the region, it would be a waste to build one if the locals are reasonably happy. Same question about the religion buildings, conversion factionwide or only local?

On the other side, schools bring unhappiness, again, is this local or general?

The same difficulty happens when I want to build a port. It would seem that you don't need too many dockyards, one or two can cover your needs since you can't be building a lot of warships all the time (at least in my short experience I can't). And the small stuff can come out of the other ports types. So, my impression is that if you keep turning out warships from your one or two dockyards it would seem to be fine (balanced between need and budget). Early game at least.

However when it comes to a choice between commercial and fishing, it seems to me that there's no doubt that commercial is better, but I'm not sure. In what circumstances do you prefer a fishery?

Libertus

Default Re: Town buildings- help needed

I usually go with seminary first town, university second town and factory third town. This combination never failed me. Religion+hapiness, research, industry.

Walternat0r's Avatar Civis

With a smaller settlement (Thinkin the crummy little places in Canada) i'd go fishery as the trade up there is pretty poo, and you want them to grow asap. Once they're larger then i'd change to commercial ports.

As for new towns, I generally try and get a decent amount of school (4-5) and then just pile in the weavers cottage/iron workshops for money. If you take over N. Africa though I make sure there's a church in each province, which gets swapped to something financially stimulating once it's ~75% my religion.

awisler's Avatar Senator

The benefits are only region wide. So if the region is already your state religion, and has no problems with happiness, then go right ahead and build factories/schools. Keep in mind that if you conquer a region, you can destroy some buildings, build a bunch of coaching inns or churches, and then a few years later turn them into factories once opposition is gone.

Civis

I also use only a limited amount of schools - 4 or 5 for me, too. You can't combine the research of several schools on one tech, so more schools would just sit idly by doing nothing (well, they would produce the odd gentleman after a while, but that's usually not worth the effort).

In the end, I just build the factories in most of the regions.
    Therefore I have sailed the seas and come
    To the holy city of Byzantium. - W.B. Yeats