Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] How to create Mods

Miles

Default Re: [TUTORIAL] How to create Mods

It worked fine for me. don't know why it isn't for you.
    try with my txt file just in case.
    Last edited by MrThib; March 20, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: in fact it was the good one

THIS is not gonna work for me ill use the mod manager i have tried everything i made my pack into a mod and people said to download your text file i did and replaced with my name then the game crashed at start so i heard if it's on movie it will work (if i change the pack to movie type i mean) so i did and still ctd so ill just give up on this thnks for trying but 4 some people like me i cant do this sigh

Ummm, one did it work when it was patch, maybe you just broke the game with your editing? Or try running the game a couple more times after CTD. I find that sometimes when I make a change it will CTD when I try and load the game and then if I load a second or third time after it works.
    "When you do something right; it will seem as though you haven't done anything at all." -Space God
    http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?ForumReferrerID=127300

Decanus

try to reinstall the game. some data maybe corrupted

my data is not corrupted everything is perfectly fine it's just when i try to make my patch a mod and make a user.empire scrpt thing that it ctds i just got rid of the new txt and the mod is back to patch game runs fine

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

moisesjns -- I had trouble for a minute as well, but I did correct it. Keep working at it and you'll get it all in proper working order!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Miles

Are you using the sames entry names in your mod than in the vanilla like unit_stat_land or are you giving them new names?
    The good news id that the mod loading is working well for you ...
    Be sure to give differents names for the files you add that's most certenly why it doesn't work

well heres wha ti have done exactly.
    1) read your tutorial and said ok ill try this then copied and pasted the patch.pack file but renamed into moises-patch.pack
    2) i then open packfilemanager and changed my patch.pack to moises-patch.pack and created the user.empire_script.txt file
    3) i open my pack and then edited the unit_stats_land tabel to make poland infantry have 80 reload time i load up the game and no changes
    4) i retry but this time i download your text as ppl say it works and this time no luck it ctds
    5) i retry and hear that if i change my pack type to movie not mod it works so i try and again ctd

you say to change the names of what i edit how?

Senator

hey mrthib i edited the file called startpos.esf with a hex editor to make it 4 turns per year. the file is not in a packed files though its in here - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main

so i make a new mod pack file calling it "4_turns_per_year.pack". i then put the line "mod 4_turns_per_year.pack;" in the "user.empire_script.txt" but it doesnt work... it doesnt use the new mod pack file cause the campaign is still at 2 turns per year. when i just put the file ive edited in - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main - it works though...

so im guessing its not possible with this file since its not in any pack file or did i do something wrong?
    Last edited by lesterthenerd; March 20, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Never mind about the loc files. The best approach is to extract localisation.loc from patch_en.pack, load it into a separate mod pack (if your mod pack is mymod.pack call it mymod_en.pack) and then do your changes using TSV export or loc editor. The game will automatically look for this pack if you name it the same as your mod pack so there's no need to register it.
    Alpaca mentions some other stuff about it on this page: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...234546&page=34
    "When you do something right; it will seem as though you haven't done anything at all." -Space God
    http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?ForumReferrerID=127300

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    well heres wha ti have done exactly.
    1) read your tutorial and said ok ill try this then copied and pasted the patch.pack file but renamed into moises-patch.pack
    2) i then open packfilemanager and changed my patch.pack to moises-patch.pack and created the user.empire_script.txt file
    3) i open my pack and then edited the unit_stats_land tabel to make poland infantry have 80 reload time i load up the game and no changes
    4) i retry but this time i download your text as ppl say it works and this time no luck it ctds
    5) i retry and hear that if i change my pack type to movie not mod it works so i try and again ctd

you say to change the names of what i edit how?

You can see in my tutorial that for exemple in the battle_personalitie_table, my file didn't have the same name, if I had done this, the game would overwrite the original one for my new one so just 4 rows and obviously CTD.
    In your case you just should have a file in your unit_stat_land_table which could be nammed polishreload for exemple.
    this polishreload file should contain just one row the one of your poland infantry.
    and all should work fine.

If your polishinfantry was nammed unit_stat_land it would overwrite the original one so at launch the game would just have one unit stored, so CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterthenerd View Post
    hey mrthib i edited the file called startpos.esf with a hex editor to make it 4 turns per year. the file is not in the packed files thought its in here - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main

so i make a new mod pack file calling it "4_turns_per_year.pack". i then put the line "mod 4_turns_per_year.pack" in the "user.empire_script.txt" but it doesnt work... it doesnt use the new mod pack file cause the campaign is still at 2 turns per year. when i just put the file ive edited in - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main - it works though...

so im guessing its not possible with this file since its not in any pack file or did i do something wrong?

Yes, I don't think it's actualy possible to pack this one. But I'm quite sure there's a way to overwrite it because CA said we can have unlimited maps and country and to my knowlege those are stored in this file.
    It's just that we don't know how to use it yet, maybe with the CA tools?
    Last edited by MrThib; March 20, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Senator

ok thx for the help dude

Paul_Kingtiger's Avatar Foederatus

My own txt file didn't work, but yours worked perfectly. Strange, but thank you
    www.st-george-squadron.co.uk
    a Pirates of the Burning Sea Guild

Yeah, my own didn't work either until I got told to download yours. It works perfectly!
    Thank you a lot! +rep

Now I need to fight that bloody gloss map x)

Just one point, make sure you set your script txt file to READ-ONLY. Seems that when I exit the game, it returns back to default.

i may try this some day but i for certain cannot today as when i was playing basketbal i whats it called when you have all your weight go onto your leg when it's on the side? yea well that happen and my entire foot cracked lol soundewd funny but hurt and so ill do it 2morrow if im lucky or sunday

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

I've got the same issue with the user script file. Writing my own has E:TW ignore the whole thing, saving the one offered here and changing the name of the pack in it works.

Why?

The only clearly visible difference is the size. Why is your txt file so big? Far too big for the few characters in it. Where's the overhead coming from? How did you create your txt file?

[Edit:]
    Looking at MrThib's text file with a hex editor reveals this:

That's not a pure text file. So, what is it?
    Last edited by Ketzerfreund; March 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

TO MAKE YOUR user.empire_script.txt WORK:

When you save your text file, go to SAVE AS and select UNICODE under encoding. The reason it wasn't working before is that Windows defaults text files to ANSI, which empire doesn't like.

Mr. Thib, you might want to add this to your tutorial.

I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse. -Charles V

My Mods- PipMod, LeatherUI, Spain Retexture+flag swap
    My website

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Argh! How could I miss that?
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post
    Argh! How could I miss that?
    Now do you see why i said the editing of the config file should be part of the manager, simple mistake but I wouldn't have found that for 20 YEARS!!

Modders usually make tools for other modders - 95% complete, and you need a basic grasp of what's going on to get it to work. N00bs would be lost!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast