Thread: [ETW AAR] The Kingdom of Georgia

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Default [ETW AAR] The Kingdom of Georgia

With the passing of his uncle in 1699, King Giorgi XI came to power. It was a day the new King thought would never come as he was already 50 years of age. This did not Giorgi though. His uncle had driven the nation into the ground. She was poor and the people were unhappy. The late-king's foolhardy approach to dealing with Russia had almost triggered an invasion. The military was nothing but ill-trained militia. Things had to change!

Giorgi went to work right away. He immediately ordered construction of some basic roads to span the kingdom. To long had merchants and military traffic been forced to slog in the mud and through fields.

Next was the re-opening of the school in Schumkale. Education and technological advancement were not popular with his uncle, so the school was closed many years ago. A local scholar known as Konstantinos was selected by the King to run the school.

Giorgi then decided to focus on trade. He wanted to build up Georgia's infrastructure and military. For that he needed money, and that required trade. Dagestan was their only trading partner. A legacy left from the scheming and plotting his uncle had engaged in with the muslim nation. It was this that almost brought about a Russian invasion. Giorgi was surprised when one of his dilpomats returned saying that Persia had excepted a trade agreement with Georgia. Persia had expressed its dislike for the small Orthodox nation in the past.

The tougher task was with Russia. The first reply was one filled with insults. The young Tsar, Pyotr I, was clearly not fond of Georgia. Giorgi took a risk with his next offer. He spent a great amount of the kingdom's treasury on some of the finest Asian china he could find. To deliver this along with another trade offer, Giorgi selected the Naval Bey, Dionisios Routsis. Giorgi told the man that if he did not succeed in convincing the Russians to a trade agreement with this priceless gift, he would be fired. In truth, the post was one left over from his uncle's days. As Georgia had no navy at the moment, the office of Naval Bey was one of complete uselessness and only served to give a man status.

Time passed and Giorgi went about his next task, the military. Georgia needed something more the militia if they were to protect themselves. Especially against the Ottoman's, who spoke many times that Georgia is a land that rightfully belongs to the Ottoman Empire and the muslim people. This of course made Giorgi and the rest of Georgia's population quite nervous. After a meeting with General Kouretas, the leader of Georgia's Army, the king issued funds to upgrade the military facilities in the capital.

Upon arriving to his private quarters one day, Giorgi found a urgent letter from Dionisios. The Russians had agreed! A large victory for the Georgian economy!

With the year 1700 coming to a close, things in Georgia were turning around. The people felt great hope in the new king and the direction the nation was taking.

(just started a new campaign with Georgia. Will update as i go along! )

Default Re: [ETW AAR] The Kingdom of Georgia

Hope to see more!

(thanks tombman!)

King Giorgi XI

The year 1701 opened with sad news for King Giorgi. Russia had decided to cancel their trade agreement with the small kingdom, citing that Georgia had nothing to offer the Russian Empire in return. Immediately the Georgian economy took a nosedive. Dionisios Routis was sent out again to try and broker another deal. It was rejected. Dionisios was fired from his cozy Naval Bey post.

On the military front, Georgia's new facilities were almost completed and the King's plans for a standing professional army would soon become a reality. General Kouretas had already began the recruitment process along with the Army Bey, Kleanthis Menti.

Cobbled roads were also being constructed to help the flow of merchant traffic coming in and out of Georgia. Unfortunately, with Russia's pulling out of the trade agreement, the Georgian economy was being stretched to the limit.

As winter came, Giorgi was in a foul mood. His anger was at recent reports that Dagestan propaganda, combined with the difficult roads that connected Russia to Georgia were some of the reasons for the trade agreement being canceled. Word was that the info came from the King's personal "assistant", Agapios. The man had worked for Giorgi for years, even before he was king, and people knew to stay out of Agapios's way.

King Giorgi XI to Kleanthis Menti, Army Bey
    There is a problem. We cannot expect to ever be able to truly be free of my uncle's shadow until any relations we have with Dagestan is gone. And I don't just mean our trade agreements. The fact that they share a border with us disgusts me. They have interfered with my kingdom for the last time. If you value your post, I want to see some progress towards the creation of the Royal Georgian Army by spring. The army is the key to Georgia's true freedom!
    The King's obvious new found disgust with his neighbors to east was the talk of Tbilisi. Where his claims valid? Would he go to war over what he believed was the cause of his failed diplomacy? Was the King just looking for a reason to invade Dagestan so he could have access to more convenient trade routes with Russia? As the winter set in, the people of Georgia wondered.
    Last edited by gord96; March 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Excellent aar man cant wait for more

Heartfire's Avatar Ordinarius

Very well done.

nice one keep it up

Great AAR.
    "And when I danced I danced alone;
    But then I did not dance because I was alone;
    So I did not dance"- Bill Bailey

glad you guys like it hehe. problem is if you look at the date of my last post I kinda gave up on it as I started using mods and had to quit the campaign. i was suprised to see it at the top when i logged in today. hehe. i am thinking of starting a game with Georgia again soon though