Thread: New Airbus Plane takes off today

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Airbus A380 Completes Historic 1st Flight

Email this Story

Apr 27, 11:31 AM (ET)

By LAURENCE FROST

(AP) Spectators cheer as the Airbus A380, the world's largest passenger plane, takes off successfully on...
    Full Image

Google sponsored links
    Need Extra Cash? Be Smart - And check out the Pajama Cash-12 Top home jobs. Starting at $40/hr
    www.pajamacash.com

Free Credit Report Online - See Your Credit Report, Credit Score, or 3 Bureau Report Now!
    Free-Credit-Report-in-Second

BLAGNAC, France (AP) - The world's largest passenger plane, the Airbus A380, took its maiden flight Wednesday, cruising over the Pyrenees mountains in an aviation milestone that Europe's jetliner maker hopes will give it a leg up in its battle with American rival Boeing Co. (BA)

The double-decked plane, which can carry 840 passengers, landed to applause at 2:22 p.m. (8:22 a.m. EDT) after a flight of nearly four hours. About 30,000 spectators watched the white plane with blue tail take off and touch down, 101 years after the Wright brothers achieved the first controlled, sustained flight.

Before it landed, its front lights shining, the A380 did a slow flyover above the airport in Blagnac, southwest France, where it had taken off at 10:29 a.m. (4:29 a.m. EDT). The crew, dressed in orange suits, waved happily when they threw open the door and descended the steps.

"A new page in aviation history has been written," French President Jacques Chirac said in Paris. "It is a magnificent result of European industrial cooperation."

European governments put up about a third of the $13 billion spent in developing the A380 over 11 years, a huge gamble on a new jetliner size that Boeing passed on. The plane weighs 308 tons.

"The first flight of a brand-new aircraft is a real milestone," co-pilot Claude Lelaie said.

Airbus believes airlines will need plenty of giant aircraft to fly passengers between ever-busier hub airports. It designed the A380 to carry passengers about 5 percent farther than Boeing's longest-range 747 jumbo jet, with a per-passenger cost as much as 20 percent lower. It has booked orders for 154 A380s from 15 carriers, including Air France, Lufthansa and Virgin.

But some analysts say signs of a boom in demand for smaller, long-range jets like Boeing's 787 "Dreamliner" show that Airbus was wrong to focus resources on a superjumbo jet at the expense of its own mid-size A350 - which is due to enter service in 2010, two years after its Boeing rival.

The A380 now is scheduled to enter service for Singapore Airlines in mid-2006, about three months behind the previous schedule.

Part of the delay is down to the superjumbo's struggle with a weight problem that consumed months of engineering time and pushed the program's cost overrun to $1.88 billion.

French Cabinet ministers broke into applause when Chirac told them of the successful start to Wednesday's flight. The head of Boeing's French division, Yves Galland, said he watched the televised takeoff and, just this once, "shared the emotion of the people of Airbus."

The A380 carried a crew of six and 22 tons of test instruments.

"The takeoff was absolutely perfect," chief test pilot Jacques Rosay told reporters by radio from the cockpit as he flew at 10,000 feet just north of the Pyrenees about an hour into the flight.

He said flying the plane was as easy as "riding a bicycle."

The pilots checked the plane's basic handling characteristics while the on-board equipment recorded measurements for 150,000 separate parameters and beamed data back to computers on the ground.

The crew took no chances - donning parachutes for the first flight. A handrail inside the plane led from the cockpit to an escape door in case the pilots lost control.

Emergency services stationed fire trucks at regular intervals along the runway, although aviation experts say modern computer modeling and wind-tunnel tests have made maiden flights safer than ever.

Problems are more likely, but still rare, later in another year of test flights, when pilots deliberately take a plane to its limits. An Airbus A330 prototype crashed in July 1994, killing chief test pilot Nick Warner and six others as they conducted a simulated engine failure exercise.

So anyway, the plane takes to the skies. Anyone other than me think this plane is going to be a big 13 billion dollar flop? Especially when boeing comes out with their dreamliner the 787. Right now the plane price per passenger is cheaper, because it holds more people and blah blah blah. The 787 coming out is 20% cheaper than any other plane per passenger. The plane is built of a new composite material. The enviroment inside the plane has increased humidity without the physical weight of the plane. That translate into the inside atmosphere is a couple thousand feet lower than it's actual altitude and adds up to a more pleasant flight. But where i think the boeing will make up much more than the airbus is in the roles they are going to be used for. Boeing is focusing on small domestic flights. SOmething done alot more than transatlantic and other international flights. I think that is where the boeing's real advantage is. With the airbus it's just not economically possible to take that role. That's what's going to hurt airbus the most in the long run.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

My Dad actually spent alot of time in Tolouse (most of 2004 :blink ) getting that darn plane sorted. If I remember correctly it was to bring back work for Shorts Brothers in Belfast I think it was the wings.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

MareNostrum's Avatar Wanted: Dead or Alive
    The Netherlands. For those white trailer trash who dont know: Its a small country in Europe.

it will be a dirty war with discounts here and there...

well the differences are laid out in the article...

Boeing aiming at mid-range.. Airbus at the long range..

The 747 has been the best long-range aircraft for a long time now. I even remind a BOeing worker making fun of Airbus "..They may be selling more aircraft than us.. we still have the largest aircraft for passenger flights.."

Tables have turned now.. and I think that the new 747 wont be a match to the A380..

But ofcourse the market can change and I am quite interested to see which company at the end has it right.. Mid-Range 787.. or Long Range A380.. ofcourse this all related to revenues.

Two years between the 787 and the A350, thats quite a long time...and as Forgeard states it will be a fierce fight.. Well the "Mid-Range fight" should be at least closer
    than the "long-range one". If Airbus also manages to be a tough and early competitor on the Mid Range market , than Boeing could lose more "ground"

TOULOUSE (AFX) - Airbus chief executive Noel Forgeard said he expects the group
    to book 50 orders for its new A350 passenger jet between now and mid-June,
    rising to 100 by the end of the year.

Forgeard was speaking at a news conference at the Toulouse-Blagnac airport in
    southwestern France moments after the company's super-jumbo A380 took off on its
    maiden flight.

The A350 is being built to challenge the new 787 Dreamliner under development by
    Boeing.

"I expect 50 at Le Bourget", the airport where the Paris Air Show will be held
    on June 13-19, and "at least 100 by year-end," Forgeard said.

In the market for planes of this size -- twin-engine, long-haul aircraft with
    average capacity like the Airbus A330s -- "Airbus has been the leader for many
    years," he noted.

Airbus announced in December 2004 the A350 program, months after Boeing's launch
    of its own project to build the fuel-efficient 787 Dreamliner.

"The battle in the mid-size aircraft is fierce. This is just the beginning of
    this new battle," Forgeard said.
    Airbus has won a battle with their A380..
    but not the war yet :happy
    only time will tell whether this battle was decisive though

Proud Patron of: Antea, Archer, Banzai Kamikaze, Dromikaites, Ldvs
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

i give it 2 years before it crashes and burns like the Concorde.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

The Netherlands. For those white trailer trash who dont know: Its a small country in Europe.

Concorde entered service in 1976..if I am right
    first crash in 2000,

It was a great aircraft and its a shame that it does not fly around anymore..

but hey.. when it comes to supersonic flights..
    Boeing should "own" Airbus in the far future.. :happy

seriously though..who is making the best
    progress on that...

MareNostrum
    The 787-3 has a max range of approx 3500nm, the -8 8500 and the -9 a maximum range of 8300nm. This new Airbus supposedly has 5% longer range than the farthest flying 747 (the 747-400ER @ 7,670nm), which would put it at 8,053.5 nm.

So...theyve managed to pack in something like 555 people (three class layout, according to Airbus), while extending its range an extra 300 miles. Yay. I can look forward to even longer flights, with the possibility of even more f-cking screaming babies, an additional crappy meal, and even more people going into the bathroom to reek the entire plane up. Sounds like a frickin blast. Thanks Airbus. :mellow

I really do like some of the Airbus designed aircraft, but this one....I dont. Ive never liked flying in a 747 (see reasons above), so why the hell would I want to get on something with even MORE people and even MORE things that just really piss me off. Flying from Tokyo to San Francisco is bad enough with 300 people on the plane (777). 500? You guys have a good time.

I would MUCH rather be on an extended range, smaller sized aircraft, like the 777 (which, I feel is right now the best commercial aircraft in the world, longest range, 300+ pax capacity, ultra efficient, etc), or I suppose the new 787, and maybe the A350 when that comes out, rather than this frickin monster with people crammed in like sardines.

But enough of my personal preferences....

From a business standpoint, I really wonder if the operating cost per seat is going to be good enough to really make these things useful (profitable). I dont see where the sudden need for an even bigger aircraft comes from...actually, I really dont think there is one,with 300 pax aircraft flying around only 3/4 full, etc....basically it looks like the same people that are only partially filling these smaller aircraft are going to be picking up the cost of flying 7000-8000 miles non stop in a much bigger (and now only 1/3 or half full) aircraft (ie. higher ticket prices).
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

From the pictures I've seen the A380 is heaven in the air!

EDIT:

Lol got my stats wrong.. typical 3 seating is already at 555

you can pack it up with 555..or use another setup...wo
    with a lounge...a bar..showers.. etc etc..
    well and that will be attractive for businessmen and others

Qantas , Singapore are the ones that will use this kind of additional
    Luxury spacing in their A380... and that would beat a 747..

When you spend millions of dollars, I am quite sure that Airbus has thought about providing enough comfort for its passengers even when it's fully loaded with over 500 passengers.. I think I will read more about the lay-out soon.. and pe

even airports are making changes (add. jeyways) to ensure that boarding and unboarding of those additional passengers will run smoothly, just like any other flight...

Airbus have gone to unprecedented lengths to make sure the interior of the A380 presents travellers with a truly new way to fly. Vast cabin mock-ups were taken to eight major cities on three continents. 1200 frequent travellers -- male and female, of different nationalities and cultures- were interviewed to check acceptance and to refine the cabin.

The research confirmed that the A380 cabin offers passengers unbeatable levels of comfort -- without adding unnecessary weight or drag to increase running costs. In addition, it gave Airbus designers a greater understanding of passenger reaction to the elements in the cabin, and how each of them vary according to the local culture.

The A380 will allow airlines a really competitive advantage in passenger comfort. The main deck of the A380 is the widest in the world. Its floor area has 49% more floor space and 35% more seats than the 747-400. So airlines can make their seats wider and provide each seat with its own separate armrest; a frequent passenger demand.

The A380 also gives airlines a lower deck on which lavatories, sleeper cabins, crew rest-areas, business centres -- or even a crèche -- can be placed, so there is yet more space for more passenger amenities or seats, to make the aircraft more comfortable and so more attractive to passengers in economy, club or first class

Originally posted by MareNostrum@Apr 27 2005, 02:07 PM
    you cna pack it up with 555..or use another setup...

with a lounge...a bar..showers.. etc etc..

well and that might be attractive for businessmen

Qantas , Singapore are the ones that will use this kind of additional
    Luxury spacing in their A380... and that would beat a 747..
    Sure, sounds fantastic. Except, of course, the cost will go up even more because even fewer people can fit on board and they have to pay for all of these lovely things. How many businessmen around going to want to pay 3x as much money as normal first class? If theyre not paying for it, how many companies are going to throw down that kind of cash, when they can put their guys in business class for much cheaper?

Finally, how many NORMAL PEOPLE are going to want to get nailed by that kind of ticket price?

Seriously...that sounds like even more of a money pit than the normal aircraft. Maybe it will appeal to the occasional businessperson, or rich guy, or whatever, but again....probably not enough to make that anywhere near profitable.

EDIT: Er...lemme see...

even airports are making changes (add. jeyways) to ensure that boarding and unboarding of those additional passengers will run smoothly, just like any other flight...
    Again...where are all these additional passengers going to come from? Are they going to cut some other flights, so they can have fewer, but now full flights? If they do that, however, arent they cutting in on passenger convenience? Not as many flights means the airline isnt as flexible for its passengers, which means that if someone wants to fly at a different time from one of these 'super flights,' theyre going to go to a different airline (assuming, of course, the 'super flight' costs the same, and the only thing theyre looking at are departure/arrival times). Or are they just going to replace a couple 747ERs with these things and hope they occassionally fill up so they can cover operating costs?

It seems like a pretty big gamble. Hopefully, the airlines Im familiar with, and rather like flying (Qantas and Singapore), dont get hurt too badly if this doesnt turn out as planned.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

All hail the mighty masses who fly to frie on a beach! let us rejoice that more and more people will drive to some airport and be lifted off to some sandy paradise where they can lie packed together and soak up the radiation of our beautiful sun and boast how wonderful they look and then fly back and watch telly telling the plight of the world and say 'tut tut how dreadful'.

Civitate

I'd add to the discussion, but Madburgermaker covered my position already

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'm very interested in how much noise the A380 makes compared to the 747.

Noise pollution wil a huge issue for planes in the future.
    In highly populated areas it wil be the limiting factor for how many planes can land and take off.
    If 3 A380's can transport as many people as 4 747's while producing about as much noise per plane it wil create extra capacity for the airport as a whole, and this wil in turn translate to more profit for the airliner.
    I think this, and better fuel economy, wil be the factors that wil make the A380 a success.

On the other hand the congested "hubs" wil stimulate the use of other airports, and this is what Boing is gambling on.
    I think however that Boing has made one misjudgement: when they talk about "direct lines" (as opposed to traveling via hubs) they seem to forget that those "direct lines" are between places where not many people live to places where not many people need to go.
    So the "direct lines" wil only work is there is sufficient public transport between the airports and the cities.
    Fast trains like the TGV can solve this problem, but only in wealthy areas.

Last year I talked to an Airbus engineer, who stared at a model of the A380 for a time, then thoughtfully said:

"If she doesn't fly by this time next year, Airbus will go belly-up!"

Well, she flies.

Hoglerdanske

Well i rather put my cash in Airbus than Boeing.. Airbus has far better (fuel efficient) aircrafts and they are far more comfortable to fly in.. A380 owns 747!!

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Originally posted by Hoglerdanske@May 1 2005, 05:40 AM
    Well i rather put my cash in Airbus than Boeing.. Airbus has far better (fuel efficient) aircrafts and they are far more comfortable to fly in.. A380 owns 747!!
    That might be the case for present day Airbusses vs present day Boings.
    But Boing hasn't stopped developing and they have some very interesting ideas.
    And I think the US government wil help out Boing if the competition from Europe gets too big.

I think both companies wil co-exist for a long time.